LG 32GK850G to Acer XB323U GP? Looking for HDR.

AstroCat

Limp Gawd

I've had a LG 32GK850G for some time and I've really enjoyed it but I am missing HDR support. So, I'm looking for:

1440p
144Hz
32" (31.5")
Flat
HDR (600)
DP 1.4
G-sync compatible
VA panel

Since that doesn't exist and doesn't look to any time soon which is a bummer, I'd by an HDR version of the 32GK850G immediately.

So, I am testing out the Acer XB323U GP, which fulfills all my requirements but is IPS instead of VA.

The IPS glow and loss of contrast is real, especially the corner glow. But, the colors, motion are better and I get legit HDR.
It's a really tough call, the loss of contrast is a drag in dark settings in games, but having the colors and HDR is pretty cool.

Curious suggestions/recommendations. Thanks!

Unfortunately no G-sync and 4k. I even have a 3080 card and 1440p gets me max in-game fidelity I want and fps in the 90-110 zone. With 4k I'd be lucky at 60 with max settings. I really wish they'd just make an LG 32GK850G and add HDR 600 to it. Instant buy.

I'm still testing the Acer XB323U GP, if it wasn't for the contrast in dark scenes it wouldn't even be a debate. I'd 100% for sure switch from the LG 32GK850G. Gonna keep using the XB323U through the weekend and see how I adjust to it. If the contrast/glow becomes less of a distraction over time then I'll probably keep it.

Nvidia supports freesync now so the lack of gsync isn't a problem. The acer you are using also lacks gsync, it does not have the module so it is trchnically just a freesync monitor. If you are specifically after 1440p then yeah I guess there is nothing.

Nvidia supports freesync now so the lack of gsync isn't a problem. The acer you are using also lacks gsync, it does not have the module so it is trchnically just a freesync monitor. If you are specifically after 1440p then yeah I guess there is nothing.
Yeah the Acer model I am testing is "officially" rated: G-Sync compatible and so far G-Sync has worked 100%.

Yeah the Acer model I am testing is "officially" rated: G-Sync compatible and so far G-Sync has worked 100%. And yes, need 1440 not 4k because I enjoy and want maximum in-game fidelity (highest settings) and fps over 90fps, hopefully more in the 120 and up zone. Right now even with my 3080 card, 1440 is the sweet spot for this. At 4k, I'd be lucky to stay at 60fps with max settings.

I wouldn’t bother for HDR600. The reality is that there is only one panel doing what you want, the Acer/Asus 27’’ with HDR1000. There really is nothing else that has the nits to do HDR properly. If you are fine with the panel you want, the HDR 600 is only a bonus IMO. However, I wouldn't buy a panel for HDR600 as it's just not enough to really give you a proper HDR experience. So if you aren't willing to down-size to the 27'' panel, i'd wait or go with a HDTV.

Quick follow up, leaning back towards just keeping the LG for now. In brighter scenes HDR look great but even with local dimming the contrast is a bummer in darker scenes. As well I found myself finding the color saturation too much even after calibration, so I ended up using the sRGB mode more often than not, and now I'm back to about where my LG is at. So... doesn't really seem worth it.

Last edited:
Back