Lg 27UK650 and Asus PB27UQ opinions? 4k upgrade

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hey!
Even though my pc and consoles are not fully 4k ready (gtx 1060 6gb and ps4), I am looking at 4k upgrade options.
I am running 4k dsr in all of my older games and 4k dsr 30fps in some newer games.
Right now I am using 27" 1080p ips. It's hp 27ea. Almost glossy (sweet) ips with good colors and ok bleeding and while the resolution is ok, I am thinking about upgrading more and more just because of media content (yt, movies), games and 10bit... as I've said - I am running 1440p or 4k dsr as often as I can since aliasing sucks.

There are 2 main options - LG and Asus as in the title. Asus is 100$ more expensive and:
+Has real black bezels - helps with perceived contrast and build quality
+has nicer looking stand...

And that's it. not sure if those advantages are worth 100$. The main concern for me is 720p (old consoles) and 1080p (1080p limited games like bloodborne) scaling. I know that NO monitor does 1080p nn scaling to 4k. But the amount of bilinear blurring does change from model to model. Prad.de review of PB27UQ says that monitor does PERFECT 1080p scaling. I cannot find anything on LG though and I do not trust Prad since their 720p interpolation image is super weird too...

Overall - I don't care for glossy black fake bezels and hdr, so Asus seems better but the price is not too inviting. Any opinions?

Other considerations aside i'd say be aware that 4K @ 27" is going to require a lot of desktop scaling to be usable, and there are varying issues with this since the experience isn't consistent across multiple programs. That also extends to any games that don't offer HUD/UI scaling and those elements may be too small to use comfortably. More pixel density is great but the ecosystem for 4K hasen't quite caught up yet, that doesn't mean you can't use it just make sure you're prepared for the adjustment.

If you can go for 32" you'll find more options and that size makes better use of the resolution, imo.

32 options are nice too but I hardly have enough space and it would really push speakers to the side a bit too much...
I am aware of scaling issues in some games. How chrome is scaling? Is the cursor just as huge as when I enable 4k dsr and scaling ?

Scaling is an issue, but it has improved somewhat. You still find odd desktop apps that can't be scaled right, but usually there are alternatives, and worst case it's just too small or a bit blurry. Apps like Firefox or Chrome should be fine.

For games I would say it's not a major issue, and mostly you can just disable Hi-DPI settings and it will look right. It's a good thing to keep in mind, but I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker.

Also, I know you have tested DSR, but are you sure you want to try 4K with a GTX 1060? You will be seriously under-powered for 4K. It may be good to look into 1440p as well, unless you plan to upgrade the GPU later.

If you want to run new games at 4K60, you probably want a 1080 Ti at least. Or a PS4 Pro if you're on console.

I am fine with 30fps or I could just run 1080p on it just the samr in most demanding games.
That said - i have 1060 for 2 years and not looking to change it just yet... But it is really underpowered for 4k so it might be a bit too early to be preparing for 4k future by starting with a monitor

Back