LG 27MB85R-B new WQHD AH-IPS ?

This monitor is tempting me after going through a few Dell U2715Hs, but it seems like this thread's promises of a $550 price point are nowhere to be found. Amazon, Newegg, and B&H are all almost $700.

Does anyone have any intel on if this is just a temporary shortage, and if we can expect to see the prices fall again?

Hi,

Just sharing my experience. I ordered this display from bhphoto, a unit that I got had a cluster of dead pixels, so I decided to return it.
After about three weeks got a replacement. Second unit was definitely used - there were some scratches on the stand, fingerprints on the screen surface, power and usb cables were not in a plastic bag. And it also had a dead/stuck pixel.
Another thing that I noticed in this unit (replaced one) - screen surface is detaching from the frame when touching lower/upper areas of the surface - when touching it you hear clicks, like pressing some buttons.

Also this display is too bright for my eyes, even with brightness set to zero it is still too bright for me. Changing mode from custom to sRGB decreased brightness to little bit more comfortable level, but all colors faded out :(

IPS glow presented in both units in bottom corners (especially it was noticeable in the left bottom corner) when looking at black scenes/pictures even in a not dark room, but seems it is norm.

Not sure that is it related only to this display, but... I hooked the display to mac book via minidp to dp cable and noticed all fonts looked kind of pixelated in comparison to mac retinas display, playing with system font smoothing and display sharpness didn't help a lot, do mac users experiencing the same?
Also back usb ports seems not working with mac.

So now I need to choose another display (mostly because of high brightness), and I am leaning toward dell u2715h

The brightness issue might be related to the contrast in the OSD being set too high as well, look what other settings there are.

Also, you should not, under any circumstances, use an LCD display in a completely dark room, it's horrible for eyes and completely detrimental to picture quality including contrast, gamma and perceived brightness.

Hi,
I hooked the display to mac book via minidp to dp cable and noticed all fonts looked kind of pixelated in comparison to mac retinas display, playing with system font smoothing and display sharpness didn't help a lot, do mac users experiencing the same?

I noticed that initially as well. I don't think it's a connection issue. I think it's because QHD just isn't "retina" (an Apple-manufactured spec, but a spec nonetheless. You can figure out your device's retina-ness with a calculation: http://isthisretina.com). A 27", 2560x1440 (QHD) display won't look "retina" until you're sitting 32" or more from the screen. The pixel density of said monitor is approximately 108ppi. This as opposed to 220ppi for a 15" macbook pro, or 226ppi for the 13" model.

Even when sitting at that nearly 3 foot distance, I don't think they look the same. I do a lot of writing, and was really looking forward to having a bigger, clearer, hi-rez display. Which this is. But it's not retina. In fact, it's closer in resolution to the 1080p 24" monitor I had previously (91ppi), than it is to my retina macbook pro. Wahh...

More concerning for me presently is that I can't get that sweet 1000:1 contrast ratio(!), from my macbook pro or my mac mini. My connection options are minidp - dp, or HDMI (DVI only possible with adapters, and then what would be the point?), and while both handle the LG's native resolutions at 60Hz, I haven't been able to get the contrast like Nikyo did on the report he published earlier. Still, I am quite pleased with the way things look, and continue to try new settings here and there. My desire for that contrast target is probably just because I saw it on the page. I don't have any sense when working at the machine that something's lacking.

I noticed that initially as well. I don't think it's a connection issue. I think it's because QHD just isn't "retina" (an Apple-manufactured spec, but a spec nonetheless. You can figure out your device's retina-ness with a calculation: http://isthisretina.com). A 27", 2560x1440 (QHD) display won't look "retina" until you're sitting 32" or more from the screen. The pixel density of said monitor is approximately 108ppi. This as opposed to 220ppi for a 15" macbook pro, or 226ppi for the 13" model.

Even when sitting at that nearly 3 foot distance, I don't think they look the same. I do a lot of writing, and was really looking forward to having a bigger, clearer, hi-rez display. Which this is. But it's not retina. In fact, it's closer in resolution to the 1080p 24" monitor I had previously (91ppi), than it is to my retina macbook pro. Wahh...

More concerning for me presently is that I can't get that sweet 1000:1 contrast ratio(!), from my macbook pro or my mac mini. My connection options are minidp - dp, or HDMI (DVI only possible with adapters, and then what would be the point?), and while both handle the LG's native resolutions at 60Hz, I haven't been able to get the contrast like Nikyo did on the report he published earlier. Still, I am quite pleased with the way things look, and continue to try new settings here and there. My desire for that contrast target is probably just because I saw it on the page. I don't have any sense when working at the machine that something's lacking.

To be honest I could not give a shit about anything apple say... if it looks sharp to my eyes that is "retina" enough for me.

Custom monitor building thread -> NEED :D

There's one up on overclock; "Build an Overclockable Monitor"

Not sure that is it related only to this display, but... I hooked the display to mac book via minidp to dp cable and noticed all fonts looked kind of pixelated in comparison to mac retinas display, playing with system font smoothing and display sharpness didn't help a lot, do mac users experiencing the same?
Also back usb ports seems not working with mac.

Are you sure your Macbook is able to output 4:4:4 @ 1440p?

Check this image:
ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

If you see 4:4:4, you're good; if not, then you're just not used to the drastic PPI difference vs your Macbook, like Michael said.

I know what you mean. I wanted to buy it when it was just over $500 from B&H in late December, but couldn't order it for delivery since I was going to be away on vacation for another week. The price crept back up to almost $600 by the time I got home. :p

The pricing on this monitor is by far the most volatile tech item pricing I've ever seen, it tends to change prices on a daily basis between $500-$650 on many of the major sites.

Right now it's at the lowest I've seen it though, $485 @ B&H, I'm in!

This monitor has peaked my interest. I'm looking for a monitor with multiple dp inputs. Looks like this one has 3? 2 full size and 1 mini. Can they all be hooked up at once?

I couldn't find anything in the manual or spec that had any info. Currently I have a macbook and I would like to be able to use this monitor combined with a usb switch to swap between my windows box and the mac. I saw this monitor also has a thunderbolt variant but that seems like overkill for my macbook. I'm really just interested in sharing the display between 2 systems and they both use display port.

Has anybody tried something similar? A dp 1.2 kvm is ridiculously expensive. Costs more than this monitor... So worst case is I'll vnc into my mac, but I was hoping for a better solution.

Use DP and DVI since both will provide the same performance.

Any diferences between Asia, US and Europe versions? I'm from Europe.

27MB85R and 27MB85R-B are the same model?

I have read that the brightness from this LG is a bit uncomfortable on a dark enviroment. The room where I will place the monitor is a bit dark. It will be a significant problem for me?

Any diferences between Asia, US and Europe versions? I'm from Europe.

27MB85R and 27MB85R-B are the same model?

I have read that the brightness from this LG is a bit uncomfortable on a dark enviroment. The room where I will place the monitor is a bit dark. It will be a significant problem for me?
The -B is for black. It's the color of the bezel and frame, and the only color the monitor is made in, so some companies exclude it. Sometimes you'll see a -S for silver.

I just picked up this monitor in the UK from amazon.de for about £420, based on the reviews.

No dead pixels, no significant backlight bleed as far as I can tell. No buzzing. Build date is October 2014.

This thing is bright! I dropped brightness to 0, which does seem around 120 nits or so (which honestly is a bit too bright for me, as I use this in the evenings mostly). sRGB mode lets you drop it quite a bit more, but colours look washed out - would need to calibrate it, I think. So I'm going to stick with the custom/0 for now.

Out of the box the custom mode looks really good. I don't think calibration is necessary unless you're doing photo work or want to use the srgb mode.

Bumped up the sharpness to 6 which helps quite a lot. Not much improvement at 7.

Only con so far is some noticeable glow in bottom left corner in a dark room with black background. Much better than the last Eizo I bought, though.

Overall very happy with this screen.

Last edited:
Is this monitor actually any less IPS glow compared to other IPS screens? I remember reading about it being "low glow" etc. If I purchased one now would I be likely to get one with zero / low IPS glow compared to other IPS screens?

Is this monitor actually any less IPS glow compared to other IPS screens? I remember reading about it being "low glow" etc. If I purchased one now would I be likely to get one with zero / low IPS glow compared to other IPS screens?

It's literally impossible to say because we have nothing to go off of besides anecdotes, and IPS glow is probably, for the most part, pretty subjective.

For example, TFTcentral reported that the U2414 was "low-glow"; however, literally no one reported this except for them.

Furthermore, there's obviously many different iterations (build dates) of this monitor, which makes it impossible to confirm whether or not you'll receive one that's low-glow. I personally find mine to glow significantly less than the other monitors I've owned.

Now that it's night time here in the UK the lower left glow is quite a bit more pronounced. It disappears after about 90cm but is quite noticeable when closer, even with lights on. A bit of a bummer since it's pretty much perfect otherwise. I may try getting another one and see if that's any better.

It's probably about 60% size as this one Nikyo posted, http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041151295&postcount=263.

Now that it's night time here in the UK the lower left glow is quite a bit more pronounced. It disappears after about 90cm but is quite noticeable when closer, even with lights on. A bit of a bummer since it's pretty much perfect otherwise. I may try getting another one and see if that's any better.

It's probably about 60% size as this one Nikyo posted, http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041151295&postcount=263.

How do you post it back to germany from UK? (I am in UK and only cheap place for this monitor would be amazon.de) what about returns?

Returns are similar to amazon.co.uk, except they're in German. Same 30 day return policy. They even have an English help page. Being in the EU has gotta have some benefits, right? :)

You have to organize the return yourself (e.g. through a service like interparcel), then amazon.de will refund you shipping if you email them. So a bit more of a pain than just co.uk.

Anyways, I got a second MB85R. Same manufacture date, October 2014, and the glow in the lower left corner is much less pronounced. About 20% of what I had before.

It's still there, I'm guessing it's an issue with this panel batch. No dead pixels or noticeable backlight bleed though, so I'm pretty happy and plan to keep this one.

Been gaming a bit on it as well, some smash 4 and rogue legacy (both latency sensitive games) and the response feels really crisp.

edit: updated how to return to amazon.de

Last edited:
This monitor caught my eye. I'm looking for a good, quality 1440p monitor and I'm not especially interested in FreeSync/G-Sync support. The image quality, lack of backlight bleed and low response time of this unit really caught my eye. NCX also rated it pretty highly.

Is this still a good buy or has anything better come out?

Does this monitor have a uniformity compensation feature? I saw the review on the wide gamut version of this and it reduced brightness and color variation significantly. Has anyone tried it? The contrast ratio is reduced to 650 but it looks like brightness controls still work which is much better than some Dell monitors which lock brightness.

I'm hoping with this feature I can avoid playing the panel lottery.

Does this monitor have a uniformity compensation feature? I saw the review on the wide gamut version of this and it reduced brightness and color variation significantly. Has anyone tried it? The contrast ratio is reduced to 650 but it looks like brightness controls still work which is much better than some Dell monitors which lock brightness.

I'm hoping with this feature I can avoid playing the panel lottery.

I suspect not, NCX specifically mentions compensation as a feature in monitors that have it in his post. Since its never brought up for the LG it most likely doesn't.

This monitor caught my eye. I'm looking for a good, quality 1440p monitor and I'm not especially interested in FreeSync/G-Sync support. The image quality, lack of backlight bleed and low response time of this unit really caught my eye. NCX also rated it pretty highly.

Is this still a good buy or has anything better come out?

This and the Asus MG279Q are the best multi-input 1440p monitors. The LG has the edge in color presets, however.

I'm going to buy this monitor soon and I have a few questions:

1. Is the hardware calibration any good on this one? Is it at least as accurate as an icc profile? Because I've seen reviews of some "professional" dell and asus displays and the hardware calibration results weren't up to par with the conventional software solutions.

2. What probes does it support?

3. Can you access its lut with 3d party calibration apps?

4. Is the coating as light as that on the u2715h?

5. Were there any problems connecting consoles to it. Scaler quality?

6. How does the color of white look on it? Is it a pure white or a dull bluish/yellowish white what I see on some displays no mater what color temp was set?

Please respond.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I ended up buying this monitor mostly thanks to this thread, so I thought I'd share my experience too. Short story – I’m very happy with it. Long story as follows:

So, I finally decided to upgrade from my 19” CRT, did some reading and chose to go for a 27” 1440p. First I bought an Asus PB278QR, but it came with a bright pixel right in the middle and with very distracting amounts of yellowish glow in the bottom right corner, as well as some in the upper left. I returned it for a full refund (thankfully the law says I can return almost anything I bought online within 7 days, no questions asked), I read up some more and chose the 27MB85R.

I was worried I’d get another bad panel and when it arrived, I launched into a thorough inspection. I had a couple of starts during the search for dead pixels, but it was just dust. Initially I thought it had some horrible bleeding, but that was at 100 brightness. I brought it down to 0, which is where I’ll be keeping it, and the glow was gone. Now, there’s still a very small amount of glow in the upper right, but it’s barely noticeable. I’m talking pitch black room, all black screen, and if you look for it. The colour calibration factory report sheet showed a white uniformity of 97% in that area, compared to 99 or 100 in all the others, but like I said, I don’t notice it. I highly doubt I’d get anything better if I exchange it.
I used the calibrator (noideawhatimdoing.jpg) and I’m quite pleased with what I’m seeing now.

I use the monitor for gaming, watching movies and videos, and general office and internet work. I’m happy with the purchase, expensive as it was – I read about you guys buying it for $500, but over here (EU) it cost about $700. Manufacturing date is April 2015.

So thank you all for sharing your experiences, all of this helped me find a good monitor. All the best from Bulgaria!

Reading Nikyo and NCX praises of this model all the time I was ready to give it a shot and it cost about the same as the Eizo EV2736W i am looking at but reading about the buzz problems it had really dropped my attention for this display unfortunately. Are there any alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you using this monitor with a Windows computer, which OS (7, 8, 8.1, or 10) are you using?

Will my Asus Strix 970 be sufficient for this monitor. I will be doing little if any gaming, mostly programming, databases, and graphics or will I need a 980?

Last edited:
The Z version does not have an sRGB mode=over-saturated and inaccurate colours in games and programs which do not support colour management. It's not worth it.

Is there a way to work around this e.g. careful setup? At the moment in the UK the 27MB85Z is available at a lower price: £384 for the Z versus £441 for the 27MB85R.

I'm guessing the answer is "no" as this problem sounds like it's a mapping-of-application-colour-to-display-colour feature of using the different colour spaces, but I live in hope...

Thanks,

Moots

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you 27MB85R owners have had any issues with the color temp controls with your displays?.

I've had mine a few weeks now (build date is March 2015), and I've noticed that, if for instance I change the color temp, and either alter the RGB controls, or change the preset mode, the color temp reverts to default every time. Even though it still says it's at the changed value on the osd.

Originally I was using the LG Calibrator to HW calibrate it(not ideal, I know), but I suspect that the color temp issue is affecting it, as the hw calibration always resulted in an overly redish tint. I'm currently using custom mode with a windows 2.2 gamma calibration profile, and RGB values of 47, 46, 58 to compensate for the color imbalance, as I can't change the temp.

Any advice or help is very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Is the "LG Electronics 27MB85Z 27-Inch IPS Colour Prime Monitor" the same monitor as this? That is the only one available in the UK, is it the same monitor, but with thunderbolt?

Is this still one the best 1440p monitors? It's more than a year old has anything been introduced that is better?

Thanks Richard ... I play to use this display for programming, intermediate graphics, DB management, and virtually no gaming.

You're welcome, just make sure you can easily return it or get a refund, dead pixels and backlight bleeding badly are so common today...

So I decided to buy one of these monitors after seeing the reviews in this thread. I bought the monitor as an LG refurbished unit. For $300 I figured it was worth the risk. So far I really like it. The back light is not too bad. To be fair, I have not used an IPS monitor before so I was not sure what to expect. The light is acceptable in a dark room and not recognizable with my desk lamp on. The lower left corner has a bit extra glow that might be considered excessive. I have a 90 day warranty with LG. If I decide that the glow is too excessive, I will send it back for replacement. One negative is that I have 2 dead pixels. They are on the far edges of the monitor and don't bother me.

One issue that I have with the monitor is that the colorimeter disconnects from the monitor when trying to calibrate. Anyone have this issue? Any way to make it work?

My unit is from January 2015.

Would it be possible for LG to offer a firmware update for this monitor that would enable Freesync?

I recently bought this monitor. Unfortunately it has a handful of dead pixels, and a cluster of bright ones.

I'll probably be exchanging it.

The glow is tolerable, and backlight bleed is minimal. The bottom third seems warmer or darker, especially on white or light colored pages.

This images are at factory calibration settings, 20% brightness.

kxdkYgJ.jpg

What is looks like to my eyes with the lights off.
CINWKCs.jpg

Overexposed to highlight bleed areas.
FhYCNqM.jpg

Anyone been through an monitor exchange at newegg?

If I end up exchanging more than once, and the process exceeds the 30 day return window can I still opt for a refund or am I stuck with whichever exchange I settle on?

I have premier... I don't know if I should just get a refund, or go through the exchange process.

I like the monitor (minus the defects), but the fact that it isn't quite right has me second guessing again. Maybe I should wait and see if Dell's 2717DA has an LG panel and Freesync? It's supposed to come out in Feb.

Anyone care share opinions?

Last edited:
Back