LG 27EA83-D 2560x1440 IPS Wide Gamut 10-bit 99Hz Overclockable LCD $699 @ Frys.com

99% guaranteed to drop all frames over 60hz like every other multi-input 2560x1440 monitor

This is a wide gamut monitor with poor sRGB & Adobe RGB modes since both have poor color space coverage and black levels

Overclock.ru said:
In emulation modes sRGB color space and AdobeRGB in comparison with the relevant standards:

sRGB Mode - 83.9%;
AdobeRGB Mode - 82.3%.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5415...or_i_testirovanie_monitora_LG_27EA83-D.html#8

there are two version, one with really high input lag (30ms) and one with low lag but there is no way to tell which version you get

http://www.playwares.com/xe/index.p...a83&search_target=title&document_srl=28854863

...and it has an insultingly low LED PWM Dimming Frequency according to both PRAD & Overclock.ru

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5415...r_i_testirovanie_monitora_LG_27EA83-D.html#19

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-lg-27ea83-d-teil14.html#Backlight

Not a good deal, this is one of the worst 2560x1440 monitors

Plus you can get one without a scaler and low input lag that's guaranteed to overclock to a certain point for less money from Overlord.

99% guaranteed to drop all frames over 60hz like every other multi-input 2560x1440 monitor

Has not been confirmed one way or another so you have no way of knowing it's 99% guaranteed anything above 60Hz will result in all the frames being dropped.

http://www2.120hz.net/showthread.php?1706-Not-Quite-120hz-The-LG-27EA83-D/page2

This is a wide gamut monitor with poor sRGB & Adobe RGB modes since both have poor color space coverage and black levels

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5415...or_i_testirovanie_monitora_LG_27EA83-D.html#8

You don't buy a wide gamut monitor to run it in sRGB mode and for the average consumer and basically everyone but graphics professionals that need to work in sRGB & Adobe RGB this is a non-issue.

All the Newegg user reviews praise it for excellent color reproduction and a couple of users compared it to the Viewsonic VP2770 and Samsung S27B970D stating in both cases the LG is a better display.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Another user review here:

QSMcDraw said:
I bought this monitor 3 weeks ago from Newegg for $700, $150 off from regular $850. Be sure not to confuse with very similar looking model--LG 27EA83R-D, sold for less, also by Newegg, at least. Notice the only difference is the "R." But the "R-D" is 8-bit color, not wide gamut. If you buy from Newegg, I suggest you ship overnight or 2-day, not free shipping, because monitor is not double boxed, which can mean damage in transit. Might be better shipping with Amazon. The monitor I received is a revision firmware, actual 10-bit with extraordinary colors. I have one very small grouping of pixels that only shows on black background, but the pixels show color properly, so I didn't send monitor back. Definitely test pixels with Online monitor test - By vanity.dk and flatpanels.dk. Tried to "repair" pixels with JScreenFix and http://lpm.jads.co.uk:80/webstart/jscreenfix.jnlp?licenceId=60d6ad88-ba80-49f5-a178-4d1642f1a51f to no avail. The pixels take the monitor from an absolute A+ to an A. The color from just an 8-bit jpeg is wonderful. The LG software calibration is only for Windows, and LG has no Mac version. I run both OS X Mountain Lion and native Windows 7 Pro from separate SSDs in my MacBook Pro. I bought new Spyder4Pro from Amazon for $169, as the LG can calibrate in Windows from this and Spyder3Pro and ColorMunki using the sensor only and the LG software. The LG software seems extremely good, and the calibration ICC file, which I also moved to the Mac system, seemed even better than the pre calibration by LG, which itself is documented on a sheet with your monitor. There are a couple "tricks" to getting the calibration to work, and the documentation for the monitor is way under par. You must have the USB cable connected from your computer to your monitor input! I was able to connect the Spyder4 into USB on the MBP directly as recommended by Datacolor, not on the LG USB hub. Second, you must have the open calibration program actually sitting on your LG monitor screen in order for it to respond to any input! I have only seen AdobeRGB color space images in 8-bit jpegs, but as I said even here the color and definition, the deep blacks, the grayscale, the resolution afforded by the pixels are all terrific. PC World, for what it's worth, chose this as their 27" high-quality monitor editors' pick. I think the best competition is the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H with PremierColor (make sure it's this model) and the high-end ViewSonic VP2770-LED, both of which look very good, plus of course the more expensive NEC. That said, I love this monitor. The pixel issue at this point is extremely minor. This is a new monitor, but it blows everything else away, except possibly for these I mentioned, plus some high-end 30" monitors. I hope this helps.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51700472

there are two version, one with really high input lag (30ms) and one with low lag but there is no way to tell which version you get

http://www.playwares.com/xe/index.p...a83&search_target=title&document_srl=28854863

LG support says the firmware update with improved response time is available for download on their site. I'm on a Mac at the moment and don't have one yet to test though if this information is true.

This is only an issue for people sensitive to PWM flickering. Check the Newegg reviews, not one complaint of PWM flickering.

Regardless of any of these issues being an actual issue for some Fry's has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Test the monitor out, you don't like it send it back.

Last edited:
All multi-input 2560x1440 monitors drop frames when over clocked

Most people do not know what a wide gamut monitor is or do any research before buying, so it is important to mention the terrible sRGB mode

For use in color manged programs the LG is fine aside from the insultingly low PWM and lag

Until someone proves that LG's firmware works it's a moot point. PRAD & Playerwares were both sent units with the firmware already installed.

Only 5150 Joker compares it to the VP2770 but he thinks wide gamut monitors do not over-saturate colors :rolleyes:

Last edited:

At first you say 99% and now you say all drop frames. I haven't heard of this issue and would like to learn more. Do you have a source for this information?

Should have typed ALL the first time. All of the multi-input models overclocked+tested with ToastyX's Refresh Rate Multi-Tool dropped frames. People started oc'ing last year when the Catleaps came out and the following modes all dropped frames

Yamakasi Multi
Achieva Shimian Multi
Samsung S27A850D (tested by me)
Auria from Microcenter
CrossOver 2720MDP (tested by me)
Asus PB278Q
Dell U2713HM

Only the single input models have been able to overclock

Should have typed ALL the first time. All of the multi-input models overclocked+tested with ToastyX's Refresh Rate Multi-Tool dropped frames. People started oc'ing last year when the Catleaps came out and the following modes all dropped frames

Yamakasi Multi
Achieva Shimian Multi
Samsung S27A850D (tested by me)
Auria from Microcenter
CrossOver 2720MDP (tested by me)
Asus PB278Q
Dell U2713HM

Only the single input models have been able to overclock

Single input as in just.. like one DVI, or HDMI input? Why would that be, just out of curiosity? Does the extra inputs add latency to the monitor or something?

Monitor Wars once again. LOL. Gotta love all the technical talk, and I bet 95% of the buyers wont be able to tell the difference with their eyes when they are using it.

Single input as in just.. like one DVI, or HDMI input? Why would that be, just out of curiosity? Does the extra inputs add latency to the monitor or something?

single input=1x dual-link dvi

The displays with extra inputs have resolution scalers and typically have a 1 frame (17ms) signal delay. LG (revised 27EA83D, 1.4ms signal delay measured by PRAD), Viewsonic (VP2770, 7.2ms signal delay measured by PRAD) and Eizo (CG275W 9ms signal delay measured by PRAD) have proven that there is no reason for having high lag. LG also reduced the lag on their 21:9" monitor from 30ms (29EA93) to around 1ms on the 29EB93.

Monitor Wars once again. LOL. Gotta love all the technical talk, and I bet 95% of the buyers wont be able to tell the difference with their eyes when they are using it.

Yes, you are correct. It seems most wide gamut monitor owners (especially 30" owners) are not aware they own a wide gamut display.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. It seems most wide gamut monitor owners (especially 30" owners) are not aware they own a wide gamut display.

Based on the pictures that I've seen you post in normal usage the colors seem so off that it sort of defeats the purpose of owning a high end display imo.

single input=1x dual-link dvi

The displays with extra inputs have resolution scalers and typically have a 1 frame (17ms) signal delay. LG (revised 27EA83D, 1.4ms signal delay measured by PRAD), Viewsonic (VP2770, 7.2ms signal delay measured by PRAD) and Eizo (CG275W 9ms signal delay measured by PRAD) have proven that there is no reason for having high lag. LG also reduced the lag on their 21:9" monitor from 30ms (29EA93) to around 1ms on the 29EB93.

Ahh okay I see, so it is just the laziness (or cheapness) of manufacturers. Thanks for the info :) been interested in a monitor for some time now (got an olllddd Soyo Topaz S) but can't budge until winter time when my pockets are lined with more cash :D

You don't buy a wide gamut monitor to run it in sRGB mode and for the average consumer and basically everyone but graphics professionals that need to work in sRGB & Adobe RGB this is a non-issue.

You have to understand NCX HATES wide gamut monitors. I don't mean he doesn't like them and doesn't use them, I mean he hates on them and on people who get them. I've gone back and forth with him numerous times, you aren't going to convince him. As far as he's concerned standard gamut is the One True Way(tm) and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Most people do not know what a wide gamut monitor is or do any research before buying, so it is important to mention the terrible sRGB mode

For use in color manged programs the LG is fine aside from the insultingly low PWM and lag

Until someone proves that LG's firmware works it's a moot point. PRAD & Playerwares were both sent units with the firmware already installed.

Only 5150 Joker compares it to the VP2770 but he thinks wide gamut monitors do not over-saturate colors :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when colored managed programs are used, they are for working on photos and to a lesser extent, videos. As the former is more likely the case than the latter, lag is really not an issue.

Also, as you mentioned in a later post, wide gamut monitors vary in their ability to run in emulated sRGB mode, and some NEC wide gamut screens have much better emulation than the LG here.

Perhaps you need to bring this argument over to dpreview and other photography related sites, where color space is of much higher importance, because for the most part gamers aren't as critical of color accuracy when they are gaming...

I'm not defending this or any other wide gamut screen, but they do have a use for some, if not most, photographers, when used in conjunction with color managed program and of course properly calibrated..

Because for the most part gamers aren't as critical of color accuracy when they are gaming.

Because most are not aware (not their fault since no effort has been made to promote awareness of color spaces) of the existence and different uses of color spaces. If gamers knew that they could either

1.) View the game the way it was intended to look (sRGB-ish color space)

or

2.) View the game with over-saturated candy colors thus defeating the point of the artists efforts to try and make the game look a certain way (example: de-saturated apocalyptic world) and evoke a certain mood

I think most would choose option 1.), especially if they have done their research since they would know the standard gamut monitors are almost always similarly priced or cheaper and offer better performance (black level, non-grainy matte coating+glossy options, LED PWM Free, equal or less lag and equal or better pixel response times).

Lag (30ms in the non-revised LG's case) is an issue for photo editing since it makes it harder to use a mouse, especially to those who were previously using displays with less lag like a CRT. Most monitor have no more than a 1 frame delay...half as much as the LG.

The Eizo CG246 is currently the only tested wide gamut monitor with color space emulation that can't be shamed by budget IPS/PLS panels when it comes to: black levels, PWM, response times and lag. NEC just released the wide gamut PA242W, it should be awesome like the Eizo. The Asus PA249Q is also decent since it has semi-glossy coating, does not use LED PWM dimming and does not suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting like the Dell U2413H.

Of course I am aware that these wide gamut monitors are not meant for just gaming.

Last edited:

Seriously? What a bunch of nonsense, show me where I ever said it doesn't saturate colors more than a standard sRGB? Of course it does but the key point is it doesn't look bad at all unlike what you claim. Not only that, I tested both the VP2770 and the this display side by side and the LG blows it away in every aspect.

Furthermore, before you were claiming this monitor would lag like hell and then Prad.de's review proved you utterly wrong:

esponsiveness

The 27EA83-D we have in native resolution at 60 Hz on DisplayPort measured. The monitor was reset for the measurement to the factory settings.

Response Time and acceleration behavior

The response time is calculated separately for the black-white transition and the best gray-to-gray change. In addition, we call the average for our 15 measurement points.
datasheet is in a response time of 5 milliseconds (GtG).

For the acceleration "option is reaction time "responsible for the choice of the three stages of slow, medium and fast. The default setting is the middle level. In this setting, we measure the black-and-white alternating with 10.6 milliseconds and the fastest gray change of 8.1 milliseconds. The average for our 15 measuring points is 10.2 milliseconds.

Response time means: quick response times, barely overshoots.

In the course of brightness for the gray change between 50 and 80 percent (right chart) is found only very modest overshoot, although the switching times for an IPS panel are already quite short. The darker gray changing the overshoots are a bit stronger overall, but never really strong. Overall, this setting provides a good balance between short as possible and as little image degradation reaction. For image sequences with fast moving content, it is well suited to visible artifacts must not be expected.

Quick Response time: not much shorter switching times, but strong overshoot.

Significantly more energetic is the overdrive speed to the highest setting works. All times are significantly reduced gray change, but the chart also shows the significantly increased overshoot. The darker image change, the rising edge is rising in part to the double of the nominal brightness, image artifacts are unavoidable. This setting is intended for ambitious gamers, who value every millisecond.

The default setting is suitable for a wide range of Office and Internet games to many games. The lowest level "Slow" but works a little more neutral, making it even more interesting for non-players.

Latency

The latency is an important value for players, we determined as the sum of the signal delay time and the average half-time frame rates. The signal delay is extremely short when 27EA83-D with only 1.4 milliseconds. Half the mean image change time is 4.3 milliseconds (fast) is also very short. With only 5.7 milliseconds, the average overall latency is also attractive for high-speed gamers.

Source:http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-lg-27ea83-d-teil13.html#Latenzzeit

You were also posting anti-LG comments on youtube video of this display too, it seems like you have something against LG for some reason or another. But the fact is this is one of the best displays on the market.

Seems even PCMag agrees: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420375,00.asp

So I guess everyone must be retarded and you just know better....without ever having tested the monitor yourself...too funny.:rolleyes:

Does anyone else think that for as nice as this monitor may (or may not) be that the warranty needs to be better for the money that you're paying for it? Regular retail for this thing is between $800-$850 and you're only getting 1 year of warranty on it. Yea, you could probably increase the warranty time with a SquareTrade warranty, but I shouldn't need to spend more money to get something that comes standard on most other monitors at that res. I've been doing my homework searching for a 27inch 1440p monitor for myself and once I saw the warranty length on the different LG models I was instantly turned off. I'm not saying they're bad monitors, but.. well personal anecdote time: I currently own an older LG monitor that came with a 3 year warranty that worked well up until a year and half after the purchase date. The monitor developed 2 1-pixel wide vertical lines that ran from bezel to bezel. I had to rma the monitor with LG, which went incredibly well btw, and they sent me a replacement monitor no questions asked. Everything went fine and dandy that time, but if something like that were to happen with this monitor and in the same time frame I would've been S.O.L.

LG offers their own 3 year extended warranty for $60. I bought it for mine.

Lag (30ms in the non-revised LG's case) is an issue for photo editing since it makes it harder to use a mouse, especially to those who were previously using displays with less lag like a CRT. Most monitor have no more than a 1 frame delay...half as much as the LG.

I have never had an issue with lag on any of my wide gamut monitors. Over the years I have owned several (wide gamut screens) and currently use a Dell 3011 and a pair of 2410s hooked up to different workstations, and I have never, once experienced this lag you speak of. Before LCD screens became available, I used to work with high end CRT monitors, and I can find no difference in terms of responsiveness.

Of course I am aware that these wide gamut monitors are not meant for just gaming.

Wide gamut monitors are made for people who work with color managed programs. They are not intended for gaming use at all. Most people I know who use wide gamut monitors do so because their capture and output devices can produce/reproduce colors that lie outside the sRGB color space, and wish to be able to reproduce these colors on their monitor as well. My monitors are all calibrated and profiled (currently I use the i1Display Pro hardware), and they are spectacular at their intended job. A monitor that barely covers sRGB just wouldn't cut it for my use.

Seems like a high price for what you get. How does this monitor compare to the U2713H (not the HM), which is frequently available for less?

Back