LG 2023 OLED TVs

kasakka

2[H]4U
Details from FlatpanelsHD: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1672651962

Unfortunately the only thing exciting here is improved brightness for 55+ inch size G3 models. While LG claim up to 1800 nits, it remains to be seen how much those will actually put out in sustained and peak brightness at larger window sizes. These will most likely be very expensive TVs for the whole year.

The list does show C3 series as having OLED Evo (OLED EX) with Brightness Booster. So if we get lucky this might mean we get G2 level peak/sustained brightness on the C3 range.

Meanwhile refresh rates remain at 4K 120 Hz which is disappointing.

It remains to be seen if LG has other ranges with OLED panels (besides those 27/45" 1440p) but so far it looks like a pretty lackluster year, certainly wouldn't consider it enough for anyone to upgrade from C9/CX/C1/C2 unless they go for the large size G3.

Apparently LG has hit the ceiling with the C2s.
But whether it's a ceiling with the panel itself or its controller we don't know. With last year's ASUS models topping out at the oddball 138 Hz refresh rate, I would guess going beyond that is not possible due to some part of the current LG panel design. I don't know how much of the controller hardware for these ASUS units is basically a reference design from LG.

HDMI 2.1 tops out at about 4K 129 Hz for 40G ports and 153 Hz for 48G at 10-bit color. So realistically 120-144 Hz.

If DSC was introduced to the mix, at 3.0x compression we go to 346 and 403 Hz limits. 4K 240 Hz over both 40/48 G ports should be doable with 2-2.5x compression.

Could it be simply a case of LG not having a working DSC implementation on their TVs?

So far it looks like a pretty weak year for LG as their TVs don't move much, the 1440p 27" gaming display seems to have low brightness and the 45" ultrawide is a weirdo while the LG Flex is overpriced when you could probably buy an array of 42" C2 TVs for that money with the year end sale prices.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Not sure why anyone would buy an LG WRGB OLED (at least at 55 or 65") over Samsung QD-OLED. My Samsung S95B absolutely wrecks my LG C2.

like this
Not sure why anyone would buy an LG WRGB OLED (at least at 55 or 65") over Samsung QD-OLED. My Samsung S95B absolutely wrecks my LG C2.

Because dealing with Samsung customer support is a lot worse than LG support.

LG's TV software has generally been more solid than Samsung in my experience. Samsung tends to have more issues with HDR EOTF tracking too as they push for "vibrant" image at the expense of accuracy. Plus LG has a far better track record for fixing issues on their TVs. The C9 and CX I've had have been very solid but I'd certainly be interested in Samsung QD-OLEDs for TVs if I were to buy a new one.

Living in Europe things like customer support don't matter to me at all as I would be dealing with the store I bought from in warranty situations.

But whether it's a ceiling with the panel itself or its controller we don't know. With last year's ASUS models topping out at the oddball 138 Hz refresh rate, I would guess going beyond that is not possible due to some part of the current LG panel design. I don't know how much of the controller hardware for these ASUS units is basically a reference design from LG.

HDMI 2.1 tops out at about 4K 129 Hz for 40G ports and 153 Hz for 48G at 10-bit color. So realistically 120-144 Hz.
Possible to overclock the current 4K 138Hz 10bpc WRGB panel to 144/153Hz?
If DSC was introduced to the mix, at 3.0x compression we go to 346 and 403 Hz limits. 4K 240 Hz over both 40/48 G ports should be doable with 2-2.5x compression.
HDMI 2.1 48Gbps + DSC goes beyond 4K 240Hz 10bpc? If it does, Samsung Electronics really screwed the Neo G8 by equipping it with just 40Gbps + DSC.

Price will determine the outcome. From my perspective, the LG OLED's wipe the floor with any display I have in my house already. In my case it's me trying to determine if I should replace my Honda Accord with the Porsche 911 vs a Ferrari. Yeah, the Ferrari is obviously the better car but the Porsche is such a huge jump from the Accord that I'm okay with it. :) Again - provided the price is right.

EDIT - kasakka is also right. Samsung firmware is meh. My old Samsung plasma had to receive a firmware upgrade because the noise reduction options didn't work correctly (turning it OFF kept it set to HIGH).

I think it would be cool for LG to up the 120Hz to at least 144Hz but to be honest My 42" C2 should serve me well for a few years at least (knocks on wood). Have to wait And see what the manufacturers come out with.

Because dealing with Samsung customer support is a lot worse than LG support.

The Sony A95K also exists if you want that panel and don't want to deal with Samsung.

The Sony A95K also exists if you want that panel and don't want to deal with Samsung.
Unfortunately Sony isn't exactly the paragon of updates either. Didn't it take them a long time to even support VRR on their stuff?

It's a sad situation that LG has been the only company proactively fixing the firmware problems on their OLED TVs.

I love my S95B to death for picture but it isnt without a fight. Samsung firmware is straight trashcan on the s95b. My previous C1 shit on it in terms of ability to be calibrated. While i calibrated my s95b, the CMS is junk and prior to firmware 13xx was absolutely broken. I mean as in did not work at all.

I wish they wouldve brought native 144hz support for any of these instead of having to hack the shit out of it to get full vrr + 144 + proper hdr tracking. Every driver upgrade is a nightmare.

Whatever comes first will get my money (and probably many of yours):
A 42" 4k 16:9 qd-oled, or a 42" c- series with 240hz refresh.
Either of these will be a show stopper.

Whatever comes first will get my money (and probably many of yours):
A 42" 4k 16:9 qd-oled, or a 42" c- series with 240hz refresh.
Either of these will be a show stopper.
Unfortunately because this makes too much sense we will get TVs that are too big at a great price and monitors that are too small at a terrible price.

*yawn* I expected absolutely nothing with the C3 so I guess I can't be disappointed. Wake me up when CES 2024 arrives.

I tried the 42" C2 and 43" QN90B, but my 2019 43" Q60R still beats both for text clarity. I hope we get something in the 40"-43" range that's as good with text as it is with gaming in 2023.

yeah, gonna be a while before we see those brighter panels trickle down to cheaper models.

1800 nits is really good though. Theoretically we're getting close to where we could have decent BFI + HDR, if LG doesn't completely abandon BFI in the future.

That 1800nits claim is probably at some absurd 7500-8000K white point.

Really blows that the 42" is just another rehash. Its now 3 years in a row that the 48" CX/C1/C2 and now C3 have gone fundamentally unchanged and I really hope that trend doesn't continue for the 42.

Unfortunately because this makes too much sense we will get TVs that are too big at a great price and monitors that are too small at a terrible price.

Lol right? Every freaking 240Hz OLED coming out this year is literally 1440p whether its 16:9, ultrawide, or super ultrawide.

I could care less about the 1800 nit. The only thing I care about is if they managed to solve the fundamental problem of OLED brightness drop once it goes past 25%. Samsung QD OLED finally managed to keep brightness above 500nits at 50% with the QD layer but still suffer a large drop towards 100% (not as big as the LG). But my industrial contact basically told me that there's no dramatic breakthrough. It's just a combination of 3 factors and while 2 of them is a step in the right direction, the 3rd is not. 1st is the QD layer (and LG's own version), 2nd is better heatsinking which allow higher power current to each pixel than before and the 3rd (the bad one) is the manufacturers have basically decided that high end consumers just does not keep their TV for more than ~5 years so as long as there's no major pixel degradation within the time frame. they can increase the power current to the pixels beyond what they used to to get more brightness. While it probably won't really affect most of us that upgrade our TV frequently. it does means that for those running a static brighter desktop will be more likely to see burn-in problems. That's probably why there's no improvement in the 42"-48" lineup as they have already push power level higher due to the smaller pixel size on those panels to achieve the current result.

Samsung hits back by claiming 2k peak brightness with their 2023 QD OLED TV panels. If only there’s a 42” model…
🔥😭🔥

I’m really not impressed with the C3 aka CX 4.0.

Hopefully DisplayPort 2.1 monitors with higher refresh rates will be shown, wouldn't mind to see a OLED 4K that can support more than 120Hz+ would be great.

Samsung Display confirms 2023 QD-OLED with 77", 2000+ nits peak brightness​

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1672725658

"Samsung Display has confirmed that 2023 QD-OLED will be available in 34 inches and now also 49 inches for monitors as well as 55 and 65 inches and now also 77 inches for TVs."

"It has applied a "new OLED HyperEfficient EL material" to improve color brightness of each RGB pixel. It relates to "the blue emitting layer of QD-OLED. As a result, RGB light that passes through the QD color conversion layer is much brighter and the colors much clearer", the company explained."

like this
Holy hell, QD-OLED at 2,000 nits and 49". THROWING MONEY AT SCREEN.

That's pretty exciting. I don't think its enough to get me to upgrade from a CX though. Hopefully 4k@ higher refresh rates comes soon.

I know the 49" is a 1440p ultra-wide, so not something I'm personally interested in, even with the 2000 nit brightness upgrade.
However, they are making steps in the right direction, and maybe, just maybe, this means next year we will get 42" 16:9 4k 2000 nit screens.

I know the 49" is a 1440p ultra-wide, so not something I'm personally interested in, even with the 2000 nit brightness upgrade.
However, they are making steps in the right direction, and maybe, just maybe, this means next year we will get 42" 16:9 4k 2000 nit screens.

It's Samsung so I don't trust that 2000 nits claim at all. Maybe it will only do it on test patterns at 10k color temperature but not in real content.

I just want a 42" 16:9 upgraded anything, a bump in hz or a qd-oled or MLA oled panel, any of these would be great.
I'm curious to know how well the 42" LG OLED sold, as I'm getting a little nervous that maybe only the PC gaming segment purchased them. If the sales were low enough perhaps LG might decide to not manufacture them in the future..

I just want a 42" 16:9 upgraded anything, a bump in hz or a qd-oled or MLA oled panel, any of these would be great.
I'm curious to know how well the 42" LG OLED sold, as I'm getting a little nervous that maybe only the PC gaming segment purchased them. If the sales were low enough perhaps LG might decide to not manufacture them in the future..

Same here but I'm willing to settle for an upgraded 48" OLED as I've gotten used to the size of my CX. That 49" QD-OLED panel had me excited until I found out it's yet another super ultrawide and not 4K. A 49" 4K QD-OLED with 144Hz would've been a good upgrade from my CX but so far it looks like in the 4K space, anything below 55" has nothing exciting coming out for 2023. LG's G3 lineup and Samsung's 4K QD-OLED TV's all start at 55".

That or ASUS’s version of 55” S95B with Heatsinks + Aggressive Brightness push would do it for this year. 1st Gen QD-OLED was never able to reach the advertised 1,500-nits though even with Samsung Electronic pushing it to the moon.

I’m so interested to see what MLA could do with QD-OLED 2.0’s Rec.2020 coverage. Unenchanted S95B & A95K already covered 91-92% surpassed any 1000+ FALD Zones QD-IPS Mini-LED pro monitor.

My S95B on old firmware pushes 1,500 nits. It's crazy bright. And being able to do 144 Hz, I may just keep it.

like this
Lmfao 2000 nits only at 10k white point confirmed:

1672786268894.png

You guys seriously need to stop taking Samsung's word for it.

Stole this from HDTVTest:

trash.jpg

C3 is just a C2 aka C1 aka CX with QMS support. Not even a slight bump in refresh rate and heatsink for it... It's over for the peasantry C series.

View attachment 539354

C3 is just a C2 aka C1 aka CX with QMS support. Not even a slight bump in refresh rate and heatsink for it... It's over for the peasantry C series.

Hopefully he gets to preview a G3 soon. The 2023 QD-OLED drops from 2000 nits down to 1300 nits when you calibrate to 6500k white point. Be interesting to see how much brightness the G3 loses when also calibrated to 6500k. Given that LG claims 2100 nits in "vivid mode", maybe the G3 will be brighter than the Samsung when both are set to 6500k.

View attachment 539354

Of course another way to look at it is... the CX48 was DAMN GOOD. I'm still loving it and it might well be the best display -- considering performance, disruption and longevity -- that I've owned in 30+ years.

Of course another way to look at it is... the CX48 was DAMN GOOD. I'm still loving it and it might well be the best display -- considering performance, disruption and longevity -- that I've owned in 30+ years.
And it's one of the last to support BFI at 100hz and 120hz. Who knows how long it will be till we see that again.

Can someone with more knowledge than me explain why OLED panels don't run at 500, or even 1000hz?
I thought with the instant pixel response of OLED we would start seeing massive bumps in hz, but yet the speeds just mirror what we have seen in LCD for years.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation...

Back