LG 2021 50" Nano85

The issue with the NANO panels was the local dimming implementation, not the panel. There is no problem with an IPS panel, but you need a dense FALD to compensate for its poor contrast ratio. LG is just taking the easy way out here and replacing the IPS panel with a VA panel. I wouldn't be surprised if local dimming on the new models is just as bad as the 2020 models.

The issue with the NANO panels was the local dimming implementation, not the panel. There is no problem with an IPS panel, but you need a dense FALD to compensate for its poor contrast ratio. LG is just taking the easy way out here and replacing the IPS panel with a VA panel. I wouldn't be surprised if local dimming on the new models is just as bad as the 2020 models.
How bad is it in practice, really? The thread on the 2020 models seems to have a few happy customers. My Samsung MU6300 is shitting the bed so I need a replacement and was looking at that LG.

How bad is it in practice, really? The thread on the 2020 models seems to have a few happy customers. My Samsung MU6300 is shitting the bed so I need a replacement and was looking at that LG.
If you're not concerned about HDR then the NANO85 is a decent upgrade to the MU6300. It still has a place on Rtings' best TVs in the 48-50" category. It has pretty good contrast for an IPS panel regardless. You could certainly do worse in this price category.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/nano85

Looks like LG is replacing last year's 49" NANO85 (IPS panel) with a 50" NANO85 (VA panel). Since the Sony x90J looks like a total flop so far, this seems like a great alternative to the 48" OLED as a dedicated PC monitor.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/288b24fb

US Model is most likely this: 50NANO85UPA
I thought NANO referred to the Nano IPS panel - would be strange to call a VA panel NANO, unless there’s also a NANO VA tech and marketing term that I haven’t run across yet.

I never found LG nano TVs picture look good. My brother brought. 75" LG Nano TV last year and I think it looks like ass. Maybe I am just jaded from using OLEDs for the past 2 years.

I never found LG nano TVs picture look good. My brother brought. 75" LG Nano TV last year and I think it looks like ass. Maybe I am just jaded from using OLEDs for the past 2 years.
OLED definitely spoils your perception of LCD panels, especially those of similar PPI.

any idea on pricing? Wonder if the price on the current 49" will drop in preparation.
Nano80 goes for $700. I bet it’ll slide between $800 to $1000. Not worth it at that price until they drop it, which they always do with these Nanocell series 😄

Back