LG - 144hz 1080p IPS coming, A-TW polarizer returns

igluk

Gawd
News from Tftcentral twitter:

TFTCentral said:
LG.Display are planning a 27" 1920 x 1080 resolution IPS panel in Q3 with 144Hz target refresh rate

Finally, looks like LG is getting into the 144hz IPS game.
"Only" 1080p so far, but that means there soon will be alternatives in this segment exclusively inhabited by TN panels (and the FG2421).
If you look at some user comments, there is still high demand for non-TN 1080p high refresh panels - not everyone has a monster GPU setup to drive 144fps@1440p.
I expect higher res panels will eventually follow.
Hopefully Samsung is next with high refresh PVA-type and PLS panels this or next year.

Also - A-TW polarizer returns (this greatly reduces IPS-glow)

TFTCentral said:
LG.Display now have a version of their 27" LM270WQ3 IPS panel in production with an A-TW polariser option. Be good if that starts being used

This is a wide gamut GB-r backlit panel and going to be expensive but its a step in the right direction and maybe we see some glow-free lower priced panels in the future.

EDIT - There is a news link now:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#lg.display_panels

Last edited:
yeah, that pixel density is not really flattering.
kind of stupid, not making a 24 inch version first, or both.

Who cares?
The important news is A-TW polariser is making a return.
144Hz IPS G-Syn / Free-Sync / V-Sync without A-TW polariser = first class trash.

The important news is A-TW polariser is making a return.

It's not as interesting as it seems.

There are already a few expensive wide-gamut monitors that include A-TW polarizers, namely the Eizo CX/CG series and HP Z27X. New monitors using this panel will likely be similarly priced and worthless for anyone outside of professionals using the aRGB gamut.

I was never really enthused with the black levels on the CX271 that I owned for a short period of time. I found blacks to be tinted red and not all too different from conventional IPS glow; certainly not 'true black' as advertised. I've heard that the red tint stems from the GB-r backlight, but I'm not too sure if that's the case or not.

Also, it's not terribly clear from the OP but the LM270WQ3 is a 1440p panel. The 144hz 1080p panel mentioned will obviously not include a polarizer.

1080p 144Hz and A-TW polarizer ? F* yeah !

If the price is decent that's good news for people who need a simple monitor for non-elite gaming and multimedia (consoles, bluray).

@, say, around $300 it could be a nice mid-range/economy alternative in front of the current plethora of glowy 60Hz.

But wide gamut ? Why...

Yes wide gamut with A-TW polariser was a strange experience for me too.
Dell U2713H utilises an LM270WQ3 panel without polariser and glow much more than sRGB monitors.
Let's hope for 144Hz IPS sRGB with polariser.

1080p... Remind me what year this is again?

I'm looking for a 1080p 144Hz IPS myself, cheaper to maintain sufficient frame rates and the monitor won't break your bank, not everyone are into this high-res race. Right now sitting with a 1680x1050@120Hz. Would prefer it being 24" though at that res.

A-TW polarizer in gaming 27" 144Hz IPS 5ms display with 1400:1 promised contrast ration?

Where do I throw my money?

I wonder why they let the cats loose this late?
A-TW and 5ms IPS were here for YEARS, why in the world they just waking up when LCD is almost dead???

Anyway, manufacturers if you read this:
YES we want High Refresh Rate IPS with A-TW Polarizer and we are ready to pay good money for it.
Cut the crap and just do it.

Last edited:
I wonder why they let the cats loose this late?
A-TW and 5ms IPS were here for YEARS, why in the world they just waking up when LCD is almost dead???

Anyway, manufacturers if you read this:
YES we want High Refresh Rate IPS with A-TW Polarizer and we are ready to pay good money for it.
Cut the crap and just do it.

LCD is nearly dead?! yeah ok.....people have been banging on about OLED for years as if it's the holy grail and we're still nowhere near it being widely used, certainly at all in desktop monitors

for clairfication to the thread, there is a 27" wide gamut panel (Q3) which has the A-TW option. the 144Hz IPS panel (1080p) doesnt have an A-TW option, they are not the same panel

full news piece was on TFTCentral yesterday about all their new panels: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#lg.display_panels

Yes, thank you.
I think each and every one here clearly understood the original message.... you fun destroyer...

Back