LF New Gaming rig...Alienware M17?

SomeFknGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title suggests, im lookin for a new gaming machine. Got my eye on the M17 specced up a little from base with 4 gigs of memory, the T9400 core2 and as much as i hate to do it, windows vista... Is there any reason i should vote against this machine? Im coming off of a Dell XPS Gen2 that is very much on its last leg about to completely die on me... The only negative ive seen in reviews is that the case is similar to the older models, which i dont mind, and the battery life is short, which i come to expect on true gaming machines....so...yeah....any other reasons i should run far far away from this system?

Seems like a waste of money to me.

You could do better with a Gateway P7805 for $1200-ish or those MSI barebones on ebay (although a 9600M GT is probably not as good as SLI 3850s), or go for an MSI 725 for a 17" with a 4850 or something.

I have a Dell Precision M6400, does everything I need. Get it with the Quadro FX3700M and you are set.

I am assuming it is out of the question to use a desktop as a gaming machine and get a cheap laptop for the portability. That is the way I would go.

Alienware is so overpriced. Save your money and look elsewhere. They lost their "cool" factor a long time ago...if they even had it in the first place. :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can afford an Alienware, go for it. It is still my dream to this day to own an Alienware (yes, they are a boutique item, you pay extra for the brand and some of the unique features). If I ever have a few extra grand lying around, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

That being said, you could get a generic but more powerful computer for the same money, or one of the same power as the Alienware but for less money.

Personally, I have no firsthand knowledge of xoticpc, although when my girlfriend was hunting for a laptop (her requirement was that it be pink - I made sure the specs were up to snuff) I considered them, and they do have a pretty good array of machines with good specs. No doubt the landscape has changed since then, but laptops/DTRs are pretty similar when you get right down to it. You seem to have made peace with the poor battery life, I also suspect you don't intend to lug around a 17" very much, just remember they are heavy in addition to big.

My only advice is to stick with a reliable manufacturer, and GET A WARRANTY. From what I have read some people have good experiences with Alienware, and some do not... which is the case with most companies. Replacing laptop parts is almost always more (in some cases MUCH more) expensive than doing so in a desktop, imo an extra few hundred dollars for a 2+ year warranty is worth of it for the peace of mind if nothing else - Never mind when you actually have to USE it. I insisted my gf get a good warranty on her Dell laptop, and donchaknowit, she just had to have the mobo replaced due to some heating issues yesterday (Dell overnighted the part and sent out a tech free of charge). Anyways, good luck in your hunt.

xoticpc is just a site that carries the asus w90 which is the pc i linked...its a core2 quad with dual 4870 512 meg cards and 6 gigs ram for about the smae price as the alienware...around 2200...my dell has lasted me 5 years if i can spend 2200 and get another 5 years out of it im more than happy....

Back