LF: Graphics Cards, CPU's, Motherboards for High School Esports Team

Duffbuster243

Limp Gawd
Hello [H]

I'm hoping this posting this is in the right spot, I currently coach/advise an Esports team at the school that I work at. We have a few (6) Alienware desktops that were purchased a few years ago for the program. I put together a few other systems that can play the games that the teams compete in (Valorant and Overwatch) but are borderline able to play the games. Dell T3500 desktops with Quadro 600 Graphics Cards. I'm putting a feeler out there to see if anyone has any older hardware that they may wish to get rid of that might benefit the program. Cheap or free would be best. Any cost would be coming out of my own pocket. Thanks [H]!

I can't help you with gpu's, but I have the guts of a couple of systems I used for hobby mining until a couple of months ago. You would have to determine if they are useful enough or not, if you don't mind paying for shipping.

1. The first system is one I currently have in the freebies thread. It is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 with Intel Xeon X5675, 24Gb of memory, and a low-profile 120mm cpu hsf. I have the I/O shield for it, as well.

2. The second system has a Xeon E5-2690 V2 on a Chinese X79 motherboard with 32Gb of ddr3, and I think the cpu HSF is a Noctua NH-U12S (I/O shield included). Since overclocking is locked on this board, the Xeon runs at stock speeds only, and this HSF is more than enough to keep it cool.

Where are you generally located, as I have some good stuff I can give for free, but don't want to deal with shipping.

I can't help you with gpu's, but I have the guts of a couple of systems I used for hobby mining until a couple of months ago. You would have to determine if they are useful enough or not, if you don't mind paying for shipping.

1. The first system is one I currently have in the freebies thread. It is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 with Intel Xeon X5675, 24Gb of memory, and a low-profile 120mm cpu hsf. I have the I/O shield for it, as well.

2. The second system has a Xeon E5-2690 V2 on a Chinese X79 motherboard with 32Gb of ddr3, and I think the cpu HSF is a Noctua NH-U12S (I/O shield included). Since overclocking is locked on this board, the Xeon runs at stock speeds only, and this HSF is more than enough to keep it cool.
This is very tempting, but it may cost a bit to ship complete systems.
Are you looking to upgrade just the gpu, or build new systems? From what I can find, this is the gpu you currently have?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-600.c1318
I think a GPU upgrade would be the most beneficial on these systems, and yes, that is the GPU we are using and it surprisingly plays the games on low settings, but does have frequent FPS drops.
Where are you generally located, as I have some good stuff I can give for free, but don't want to deal with shipping.
Northeast PA

I have this: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB
I also have a Red Devil Vega64, but I wouldn't be able to let that go probably anywhere near your preferred price of free. That said, I haven't looked at what it's going for these days...my guess is $200-ish?

What are your system specs? I have a couple of GTX 680 to sell, but I am not sure if your system, particularly if your PSU can handle them (200 watts for the card, 500 watts system).

Dang, I just gave away my rx 570, sapphire nitro fury tri x and 280x plus a 6600k /mb/ram and g4650 m/b/ram for free... yesterday. Oh well, good luck with the search, free bump.

ps. Vega 64's are going for closer to $125-150 today. I picked up 2 5600xt's for $125 each shipped, and they are very close to vega 64 performance.

ps. Vega 64's are going for closer to $125-150 today. I picked up 2 5600xt's for $125 each shipped, and they are very close to vega 64 performance.
I knew prices had dropped, but didn't know that much. Thanks.

What are your system specs? I have a couple of GTX 680 to sell, but I am not sure if your system, particularly if your PSU can handle them (200 watts for the card, 500 watts system).
They do have 500 watt PSU's. I don't know how many pcie power connectors they have though.

Let me look around. I prob have a few cards around. Can not say they all work but you can have for free just pay the shipping. I know I have 2 450's. They still hold a few cups on HWbots.

They do have 500 watt PSU's. I don't know how many pcie power connectors they have though.
If you are referring to the T3500's, I upgraded three of them years ago with new Seasonic modular power supplies for video editing duties on GTX480 cards. Worst part was the mobo had wires underneath that required removing them to get the old PSU out. It was necessary for just that reason, more PCIe GPU connectors. That was ten years ago, but I still have one running in my office with 24GB of RAM.

let me know what you would want for the gtx 680's

I think I have a GTX580 Classified around along with one of those micro GTX750ti low profile cards. The 580 has been sitting for years and was brand new replacement from EVGA. I do not have anything but the cards in antistatic bags.

Shoot me an offer via PM if interested

Valorant and overwatch will run decent on an HD 7750. The most modern version of that is the R7 450 which is usually Dell branded. About $25-40 on eBay all day long. An R5 430 would probably work as well. An R7 250 probably work as well but DDR 3 memory, I wouldn’t recommend it. They are $20 or less

Valorant and overwatch will run decent on an HD 7750. The most modern version of that is the R7 450 which is usually Dell branded. About $25-40 on eBay all day long. An R5 430 would probably work as well. An R7 250 probably work as well but DDR 3 memory, I wouldn’t recommend it. They are $20 or less
Yep, and you can get even more stingy depending on pixel count. At our last LAN party I was able to piece together a system with a GTX1650Super on an Intel Pentium Gold 5400 and an AMD system with a 650Ti and when we kept them on a 19" Dell monitor with lower resolution it kept up quite nicely at 60Hz. Both kids seemed quite pleased.

Yep, and you can get even more stingy depending on pixel count. At our last LAN party I was able to piece together a system with a GTX1650Super on an Intel Pentium Gold 5400 and an AMD system with a 650Ti and when we kept them on a 19" Dell monitor with lower resolution it kept up quite nicely at 60Hz. Both kids seemed quite pleased.
Yup. With the Dell T3500s he has, being X58 workstations they are fairly capable with a moderate graphics processor. I’ve never actually tried but i think the R7 450s will crossfire.I know I ran crossfire with a couple R7 270x on one. Not sure either game’s support crossfire though. That would be an Rx 550/560 level of performance or a little bit more for $40-50.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep on the lookout for some of those r7 450's. If anyone has any around that they would be interested in getting rid, please let me know.

I'm currently on the hunt for an RX 5700 XT for my wife's PC; when I find one, I'll have her old RX480 spare which makes plays Valorant and Overwatch just fine. I'd be happy to send that your way for very few shekels.

I'm currently on the hunt for an RX 5700 XT for my wife's PC; when I find one, I'll have her old RX480 spare which makes plays Valorant and Overwatch just fine. I'd be happy to send that your way for very few shekels.
Definitely let me know when you are ready to get rid of that.

Back