Lexar Launches 1TB SD Card

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At CES 2019, Lexar launched what appears to be the world's first 1TB SD card. There are a few suspiciously cheap "1TB" SD Cards on Amazon and other e-tailers, but they're almost certainly fakes, and the 1TB SD Card that SanDisk announced in 2016 ended up being vaporware. Lexar notes that they launched a 1GB SD Card less than 15 years ago, and say this card should be capable of speeds of up to 95MB/s. According to an announcement they made in October last year, a 1TB microSD card is on the way too. Thanks to New Atlas for spotting the release.

All Lexar product designs undergo extensive testing in the Lexar Quality Labs, facilities with more than 1,100 digital devices, to ensure performance, quality, compatibility, and reliability. The 1TB Lexar Professional 633x SDXC UHS-I card is available now at an MSRP of $499.99.

Great! More people storing more photos on their camera to lose! o_O

You don't deserve a 1 TB external SD card if you're going to lose it. :p

I'd imagine people would take care of a sub $500 product, much like anything else that costs that much.

UHS-1 and U3 means it would work very nicely on my D7500 shooter. Downside is my cam has no backup slot tho so a card error could possibly trash up to 1tb of pics.

@$500 though perfectly reasonable for the size and speed of that card, I will prolly stick to carrying a few 256GB extra cards and dump them to my server when I get back from any photo excursions.

What's with the 633x thing? My memory is a bit fuzzy.
In order to comply with SD card standards, a card must write and read at a minimum speed of x MB/sec. That small minimum is considered "1x" and puts it into a specific class. Changes range in numbers like 1x-50x, 50x-100x, 100x-200x, 200x to 400x, etc... which will say on the package something like 'Class I, Class II, Class III, Class IIIB, etc' up to roughly Class 6 or so. You pay a premium for a class 6 card but it guarantees a considerable minimum read and write speed vs say class I. Literately, potentially hundreds of times faster.

Many people when they go to buy a SD card for their phone/camera will cheap out and then wonder why it takes 2 seconds between shots and their friends camera does 9 shots per second.

For more information from the horses mouth:

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

What's the actual memory cap that we can theoretically place on an SD card?

What's the actual memory cap that we can theoretically place on an SD card?
You won't live long enough to see the theoretical max. With original SD cards, it was limited to 32-bit so you capped off at 4GB roughly. Then they came out with SDHC or SD High Capacity which is what every card is today more or less. Such to the point, they've dropped the HC and mostly write SD and people just assume HC unless it's under 4GB. It's hard to find SD cards under 4GB as a 4GB card runs you about $4.99 now.

Anyways, HC is 64-bit. So ...2^64-1 bits is your size limit roughly or 2,305,843,009,213,693,952 bytes.
So 2,305,843,009,213 MB
2,305,843,009 GB
2,305,843 TB

I'll dare say, 2.3 million terabytes ought to be enough for just about any consumer within my lifetime. Really, a 16k video rip with 21 surround channel speakers is probably only going to be 1TB per movie and I doubt there's even 2.3 million movies worth collecting. Even if it's 10TB per rip, 230,000 films is still a massive collection that would take over a lifetime to watch.

Also the time took to go from GB to TB was 15 years so if TB to 1,000 TB is another 15 years and 1M TB is another 15 years.... You're looking at minimum 32 years to reach that limit. This is assuming we don't run into the theoretical limits of matter. I mean microSD cards are the size of your pinky nail. If we are at 7nm now, I'm pretty sure carbon-electron storage would breakdown at 1/1,000,000th of 7nm.

Last edited:
Is this the same Lexar from 10 years ago? I thought some time in the past few years Lexar went out of business, at least the CF/SD business? Their stuff was always top notch but I wonder if it still is.
My freenas box boots off 2 (mirrored) Lexar USB sticks, 16GB each, and it's been going strong for 4 years!

I assume the primary use for this is video, though I suppose sports togs might like them (though the one I know is paranoid about using cards much bigger than 16 or 32gb, just incase the card goes bad, though I'm pretty sure he uses Flash cards. For the most part, I can't see why anyone would need more than 128gb for photos. A d850 can take roughly 200 45 MP images on a 128gb card. 1TB would be around 16,000 images.

Is this the same Lexar from 10 years ago? I thought some time in the past few years Lexar went out of business, at least the CF/SD business? Their stuff was always top notch but I wonder if it still is.
My freenas box boots off 2 (mirrored) Lexar USB sticks, 16GB each, and it's been going strong for 4 years!

Lexar was a sub-brand of Micron's (along with Crucial) for consumer flash products like SD cards and USB sticks. Micron exited that market in 2017 and sold the brand itself to a Chinese company.

8x128gb is 160?
1tb is 500.. oh ok
Yes I know it doesn't work like that but jeez.

In seriousness ..
Im only half bitching about it, price/ size in sd cards have progressed fantastically, shit 64gb is low tens and 128 low twenties.

Back