leveling or setting maximum Db

NeghVar

2[H]4U
I have video files that have extreme volume differences during different events. Turn it up to hear the dialog then an action event comes up that annoys the neighbors. Is there a way to level out the audio or reduce it to not exceed a certain Db?

I have video files that have extreme volume differences during different events. Turn it up to hear the dialog then an action event comes up that annoys the neighbors. Is there a way to level out the audio or reduce it to not exceed a certain Db?
what are you playing through? need some sort of normalization or night mode.

It happens on my system and my wife's (both use powered external speakers), my daughter's laptop, (uses onboard speakers), and our TV (via Roku). All of which are played via Plex. I also just tested a few of the movies on VLC. Initially same issue. But under tools>effects & filters>Audio effects>compressor. Threshold and Makeup gain did lower maximum Db while still maintaining adequate dialog Db. But plex has no such feature.

plex is supposed to have "multi-channel normalization", check for that. otherwise you could try loudness normalization in sound setting or in the tv sound options there might be a night mode. youre gonna need to look, maybe do some googling now that you know its called normalization....

1624835987844.png

Found the multi-channel normalization setting. It is already enabled. No such setting on the Roku app. Enabled loudness equalization on the systems. It made enough of a difference to not need be adjusting volume. But it could be better. Found "DTS TruDialog" it "Increases voice intensity to make dialog clearer." Upon enabling it, It did an excellent job. Thank you for your help.
I was focusing on the file itself as I did back in the early days of MP3 with normalizing. When it took about 15 to 20 minutes to encode the average length island.

Back