Letting a game mature 1-2 years for mods?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
Have you guys found yourself waiting a few years for games to mature so that proper mods exist to remove console bs elements?

My example is with Prey. I bought it a few weeks ago. It looked washed out, grayish, and slightly blurry background items. I found a quality mod that removed this washed out odd look and improved long distance sharpness. It took a toll on FPS, but it made sense to have those crutches from the beginning: to improve console FPS.

Have you guys found yourself waiting a few years for games to mature so that proper mods exist to remove console bs elements?

My example is with Prey. I bought it a few weeks ago. It looked washed out, grayish, and slightly blurry background items. I found a quality mod that removed this washed out odd look and improved long distance sharpness. It took a toll on FPS, but it made sense to have those crutches from the beginning: to improve console FPS.
Define "console bs" because it sounds like you just didn't agree with the artist's intent.

But to answer your question: no. I buy games I want to play, period.

Rarely. By that point the community has dried up and any optimizations made in older drivers have been broken by more recent game optimizations. If there's any MP functionality, that's long dead. Either that or everyone left is light years ahead of you.
The only time I wait around is if a game is overpriced or I'm rocking older hardware and planning an upgrade.

Yea I don't give two fucks about mods. If a game looks good and interesting baring a bunch of bad reviews I don't mind paying $60 for a good game.

Price was not a concern. I was referring mostly to bug fixes and enhancements. Like how I had mentioned about Prey. It had a really strange washed out look to it which I fixed with a mod. The mod also sharpened details on everything.

I generally only mod games after my first playthrough.

It sounds like you're talking about something along the lines ENB or Reshade though which I consider more of a graphics tweak than mod. It's also my understanding that IF any changes need to be made for them to work with a new game it generally happens in a matter of days not a year or two.

Define "console bs" because it sounds like you just didn't agree with the artist's intent.

you don't understand what he's saying. he's saying a lot of games are intentionally crippled so they will run on console's anemic specs compared to pc. take GTA V for instance. the ps3 version sucked ass (graphics wise) so i personally didn't mind them taking a little extra time releasing the PC version if that's what it took for them to iron out all the bugs. and you can still lower the graphics to console levels if you system doesn't have the horsepower to run it full blast.

but still to answer the question. no i don't wait for mods either. i just play the games i want to play. but it would still be nice to have the options of what level of graphic detail you want to run at verses being forced to play on low quality just because the devs think console level graphics are "good enough for everyone". or could be just that the devs are just peasants at work... so it actually is good enough for them??!

Yep! It is just a graphics tweak that I used on Prey that is simply called a mod. I’m sorry about the confusion.

Some games still have mod support (Fallouts) up to now, the enb's are constantly being updated mostly for new hardware. But no need to wait for long after a game is released, the moders are right on it dissecting the game to tweak it.

I usually wait on price. I have little time and too many games on the go so I usually try ask myself what the game will actually be worth by the time I get around to playing it. That helps me hold off. By the time I buy it they've often patched up the problems and included some dlc with it.

I call this "the backlog" :p

That said, I don't run too many mods. I'll run them for something like an Elder Scrolls game, but otherwise, most of my games are pretty stock. Unless it's a really old game with community fixes that lasted past developer support, or source-ports, etc.

1 to 2 YEARS?!...like I'm going to live 300 or forever. No way I'm going to wait for anything that long.

And all that has nothing to do with consoles.

Nope, if a game is worth modding it must be worth playing vanilla.

Nope, if a game is worth modding it must be worth playing vanilla.

I'll agree with that. The game has to be worth it in the first place. There are mods though, like the System Shock Texture Update Pack that improve the game within the aesthetic it was intended to be in that I find to be nearly compulsory. Sure, the game doesn't need it to be fun, but seeing the same textures that were already in the game, but crisp and readable really brings it to a new level.

I guess it depends on how tastefully done the mods are, and whether they extend or detract from the original vision of the game's creators.

I'll add that I've never intentionally waited on a game for it to be improved on. I've waited due to a growing backlog.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

No, I don't. You can never count on the mod community for a game. The reason I say this is some games just don't get attention from modders if it wasn't popular enough, too hard to mod or not broken enough. I play a game and if people mod it, I'll certainly get more mileage out of it. If it isn't, I'll enjoy it (or not) and move on with my life.

I'll agree with that. The game has to be worth it in the first place. There are mods though, like the System Shock Texture Update Pack that improve the game within the aesthetic it was intended to be in that I find to be nearly compulsory. Sure, the game doesn't need it to be fun, but seeing the same textures that were already in the game, but crisp and readable really brings it to a new level.

I guess it depends on how tastefully done the mods are, and whether they extend or detract from the original vision of the game's creators.
I'm not against mods, but every game I ever modded I used to play without mods beforehand. Including Bethesda games.

I'm not against mods, but every game I ever modded I used to play without mods beforehand. Including Bethesda games.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait specifically for them. I also use them pretty sparingly. Only if they provide a direct benefit that doesn't ruin the aesthetic of the game.

To use System Shock 2 as an example again. Like I said, I won't really play it without SHTUP now. It just takes the existing textures, makes them higher resolution, fixes the text so it's actually readable, and adds detail that's still within the aesthetic of the game. As a contrast, I will not use the Cyberblutch enhance models pack, because he took way too much license with the character models, and really changed the whole feel of the game assets. (even though the model work was technically impressive)

If I want a game I buy it at release. Simple as that. If mods or upgrades come out later then so much the better but I'm really picky about what mods I'll use. I doubt I'll ever go 'Skyrim' crazy again so it's unlikely I'd ever just let a game sit for 1-2 years just so it can 'mature'. Far more likely that I continue to replay games as I upgrade displays or GPU's, or new features get added.

Back