Let's quit the whining about the 6800GT...O.K.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricko

Weaksauce
I have been reading quite a bit of whining lately about problems with the 6800 GT's. Every product that has EVER been produced is going to have some issues. For example, I was having a "stutter" problem with my 6800GT and because of this great web site I posted my situation and got the right answer from someone. Believe it or not it had to do with fast writes and my Vsync. The point is...NOW some guys are saying some stupid things like "maybe I shoulda got the X800...". Go back and check just about ANY review comparing the X800 and the 6800GT. Have you ALL forgotten? In reality, some guys are never happy. Having upgraded from a 9800 pro...I have never seen such a performance leap from any previous product, bar none. The 6800Gt is the best thing to come along in a long ...long time. Don't forget....the best driver optimizations are yet to come!

It is in human nature to whine about like a nancy-boy. For every sap who's having 'issues' with his GT there's 10 out there fully enjoying what the card has to offer.

Whining? I spend $400 on a retail video card that has caused me nothing but trouble (RMA'd 2 6800GT's) and I'm supposed to sit back and take it? I don't think so.

Kevin

send me your card I'll fix it for ya :D , they probably sent ya another RMA card, you just got hit with bad luck.

flwolf said:
Whining? I spend $400 on a retail video card that has caused me nothing but trouble (RMA'd 2 6800GT's) and I'm supposed to sit back and take it? I don't think so.

Kevin

maybe its not your video card and another problem in you machine? or maybe enduser error?

Man......some ppl are never happy....I have had no probs other than those I caused with my GT...and that was only my creed of faster, so I had flashed with an incompatible bios....just reflashed and found the right one...now I have a BFG 6800 GT OC that runs circles around many and runs head to head with others......truth be known there will always be issuse with any new product...my philosophy has always been to purchase 6 months behind the market...that way there is time for a few bios and driver revisions as well as a few board revisions....if you buy it the first week of shipping then your gonna run into a few issues...just give it more than a few weeks to work out....trust me...these cards are still far from showing their full potential....with the intro of SM3 into games next year and a few bios and driver revisions I think we will all be very happy we dropped the bread on this awesome card.

I may be in debt $430 in the hole, but how my 6800GT runs game, I coudln't give a shit :D

Blaming the user without having any information is pretty darn stupid. I see it's spreading.

For each card, I formatted the computer, installed XP, chipset drivers, Windows updates, video drivers, and that's it. I tried several driver versions (using driver cleaner between each), several chipset driver versions, several bios options changes, etc. Nothing helped. And since when is getting artifacts on the post screen a user error?

My system is an AMD 64 3000+, 1.5gigs RAM, 500 watt power supply, Gigabyte mobo, etc. My Radeon 9800 Pro works flawlessly. Every single time I put it back into the system all the problems go away.

So go ahead, tell me it's a user error. I'll just sit here and chuckle.

Kevin

i have been complaining about my 6800gt since august 4th. then again thats the day i ordered it and i still dont have it yet. :(

bye bye 450 dollars :mad:

Well my X800Pro and my 6800GT have been fine. I don't ever seem to run into these retarded issues that I read about online.

Ricko said:
I have been reading quite a bit of whining lately about problems with the 6800 GT's. Every product that has EVER been produced is going to have some issues. For example, I was having a "stutter" problem with my 6800GT and because of this great web site I posted my situation and got the right answer from someone. Believe it or not it had to do with fast writes and my Vsync. The point is...NOW some guys are saying some stupid things like "maybe I shoulda got the X800...". Go back and check just about ANY review comparing the X800 and the 6800GT. Have you ALL forgotten? In reality, some guys are never happy. Having upgraded from a 9800 pro...I have never seen such a performance leap from any previous product, bar none. The 6800Gt is the best thing to come along in a long ...long time. Don't forget....the best driver optimizations are yet to come!

Would it be OK to whine about the BFG 6800 OC then?

I have been whining about one and will probably continue to do so. I had a GT in the retail box that I was going to take back for an exchange for a X800 because the BFG 6800 OC was giving me so much grief, even though I had never tried the GT out. Fortunately, I unwrapped it, and put it in place of the BFG 6800 OC and now all my problems have gone away. No more black screens or reboots for no darn reason, and my cheapo MSI K8T NEO FSR works like a charm. (uummm, crow tastes good) Crap, the only thing I have left to whine about is the BFG 6800 OC. ;)

I'll admit it I was too hasty in my decision or consideration to return both cards, but like many others after spending 2 weeks farting around with the BFG 6800 OC with nothing but problems one gets jaded. But I think I'm back on track with the GT.

I got a PNY 6800GT on a weak $20 off sale at Fry's and it works great. Bye Bye BFG. I'll probably end up getting an X800 too. My kid just can't get on the Nvidia bandwagon, and that is what he wants. One does need to diversify, getting stuck in one camp has limitations.

Personally I like bitching in a forum. People need to know what could happen to them, or if they are currently experiencing problems that others are seeing.

Here's a quote from the BFG support folk:

"Wow. We've been seeing many issues like this one, which wind-up being related to the PC the card is running in. " ..... and then 2 pages of boilerplate troubleshooting that anyone with any experience tries before sending an email to the manufacturer.

Boils down to always blame the other guy.

The 6800 OC finally started puking up ASCII chars on a black screen. That's when I knew it was going south. And no I didn't give BFG the chance to make things right through the RMA process. The heck with BFG. I returned it and got my money back, so I could move on. Once bitten twice shy.

If we can't bitch, we'll just get run over by everyone. Human nature is to filter out the meek. Exercise your freedom of speech, it's good for you.

it must only be on the GTs, my 6800 nu has been working flawlessly since day one.

flwolf said:
So go ahead, tell me it's a user error. I'll just sit here and chuckle.

Kevin

install direct x at all? what brand is your psu? you try those cards in another computer?

DirectX 9.0c every time. I'm at work so I can't check the brand of PSU right now. I can't remember the brand at the moment. I only have the one desktop. My other machines are laptops.

Kevin

try the GT in another machine before you call it broke...if you already RMA'd twice then chances are it's a problem with your system...my GT, like most, has worked flawlessly since day one...

i'm actually glad to be seeing this. only because i'm now looking at getting a card soon. and i can read all day about how great a card is. but what i want to read is the flaws of each and every card.

once again I will say without hesitation that this is a fantastic card. It never gave me a bit of trouble, I don't seem to have these mysterious issues other people are having either. I got it, I installed it, I configured it, then I tweaked it and then finally - I started to drool watching all my games fly and the benchmark numbers soar.

You pay for bleeding edge technology and it comes with it's teething problems, don't bring your principals of, "I paid x dollar for it so it should damn well work!" into it because that's your fault for being that way about it, it's an attitude thing. It will only be your loss because you won't get to enjoy a great card at the end of the day but don't try and tell other people it's crap too when it is not and possibly put them off a great buy.

TheBoss68 said:
Man......some ppl are never happy...."I" have had no probs other than those I caused with my GT...and that was only my greed of faster, so I had flashed with an incompatible bios....just reflashed and found the right one...now I have a BFG 6800 GT OC that runs circles around many and runs head to head with others......truth be known there will always be issuse with any new product...my philosophy has always been to purchase 6 months behind the market...that way there is time for a few bios and driver revisions as well as a few board revisions....if you buy it the first week of shipping then your gonna run into a few issues...just give it more than a few weeks to work out....trust me...these cards are still far from showing their full potential....with the intro of SM3 into games next year and a few bios and driver revisions I think we will all be very happy we dropped the bread on this awesome card.

Imma quote myself this time.....lol
cuz its true!!!!!

flwolf said:
DirectX 9.0c every time. I'm at work so I can't check the brand of PSU right now. I can't remember the brand at the moment. I only have the one desktop. My other machines are laptops.

Kevin

If you can't remember, it's probably a POS, and that will be your problem. I had fits with mine till I got a decent powersupply?

It's an Aspire Turbo 500W power supply.. As I mentioned before, when I take the 6800GT out and put the 9800 Pro back in, all problems go away.

flwolf said:
It's an Aspire Turbo 500W power supply.. As I mentioned before, when I take the 6800GT out and put the 9800 Pro back in, all problems go away.

Aspire, eh? I looked, saw no real reviews of that PSU. None. Some that claimed to be real, but none that examined true stability and cleanliness of the lines. I bet it's your PSU. Had the same issues going from a 9800 Pro to 6800GT.

PCP&C, Fortron, Sparkle, Antec, try one of them.

flwolf said:
Because the 9800pro does not have anywhere near the power requirements as the 6800gt does.
I have a BFG6800GT OC and an Enlight 420w PSU...And have had absolutly none of the problems your haveing.......TRY ANOTHER PSU....you might be very very surprised at what you find!!!!

power supply...

http://www.techreviewer.com/viewpage.cfm/ui/040608194317

Conclusion

Upon opening the package, I was pleasantly surprised at the looks of the power supply, but further analysis and investigation reveals a number of faults in this product. They include a very low +12V rating, below average customer service, and no standard warranty. Because of this, I have a hard time giving this power supply a positive review. I can only recommend that you avoid buying this power supply.

^eMpTy^ said:
That's why i don't waste money on PSUs. ;)

$5 after rebate A+GPB PSUs from fry's for life. But seriously, I've been using A+GPB PSUs for systems I built the last couple of years and they work great.
----------------

Whoever had a problem with fast writes, I hope you know it's supposed to work (I have it enabled for my 6800GT). I always have FW and SBA enabled... if it doesn't work, the chip either doesn't support it (eyes old 9800) or your motherboard/mb driver is broken.

I got my BFG 6800GT and never had problems. My psu runs it pretty well. I love it more and more everyday.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Well when you pay top dollar for something, you expect it to be near perfect.

QFT , My 6800 Ultra is a good card but theres too many gripes I have with it. Personally I think I probally should of gone with the X800 XTPE. IQ on my 9800XT was better , 2D was faster , nowheres near as much image tearing , quieter , better driver support IMO. I liked having a new driver update from ATI every month and not having to resort to leaked betas to attempt to remidy my issues. Im almost 100% sure my next card will be ATI.

hey be lucky you all have a 6800gt, all's I got is a 5900xt that doesn't wanna be a good girl( yeah found out its gender) and stay stable at nu or 5950 speeds

sgi02 said:
QFT , My 6800 Ultra is a good card but theres too many gripes I have with it. Personally I think I probally should of gone with the X800 XTPE. IQ on my 9800XT was better , 2D was faster , nowheres near as much image tearing , quieter , better driver support IMO. I liked having a new driver update from ATI every month and not having to resort to leaked betas to attempt to remidy my issues. Im almost 100% sure my next card will be ATI.

What's QFT mean?

I found that on my GT right by the power connecter on the other end of the board(top side if mounted in moboard) was getting extremely hot during games and when it reached a certain point i got a black screen/reboot. When i put something there to cool it off i haven't had the problem since... it wouldn't surprise me if other people have the same problem with their cards because thats generally a place where not alot of air is going to.(or so i think)

and at first sight i thought he said quit fucking talking lol

sgi02 said:

so...the image quality was better how? and how do you figure the 2D was better? and better driver support? I don't think anyone would agree with you on that one.

Those are some pretty subjective statements...

^eMpTy^ said:
so...the image quality was better how? and how do you figure the 2D was better? and better driver support? I don't think anyone would agree with you on that one.

Those are some pretty subjective statements...

AA = ATI > NV , My 9800XT Had a much more crisp image and less jaggies when using 4XAA compared to my Ultra. 2D IS SLOW!!! Dont get me wrong , its acceptable , but seeing redraws when minimizing and maximizing windows kind of sucks on a $500.00+ video card , also YzDock never stuttered on my 9800XT and with multiple applications open it lags on my Ultra. As far as drivers are concerned how many official releases have there been from Nvidia that actually support the 6800 Ultra ( I think the 61.77 was the only one , I many be wrong on this ) V.S. ATI? I have never had a problem with the Catalyst Or Forceware suites of drivers , but I do appricate more frequent releases of drivers straight from the companys themselves.

BTW its not my drivers , display settings ect ect... I have experienced the same results after several formats. Unless these issues are related to people using similar hardware like I am ( Which I highly doubt is the case. ) then I would most likely say it has to do with 1.) The arcitexture of the card or 2.) The current maturity level of the drivers. I really wanted to like the 6800 , dont get me wrong its not a terrible card , but somehow I feel that I didnt make the right decision.

sgi02 said:
AA = ATI > NV , My 9800XT Had a much more crisp image and less jaggies when using 4XAA compared to my Ultra. 2D IS SLOW!!! Dont get me wrong , its acceptable , but seeing redraws when minimizing and maximizing windows kind of sucks on a $500.00+ video card , also YzDock never stuttered on my 9800XT and with multiple applications open it lags on my Ultra. As far as drivers are concerned how many official releases have there been from Nvidia that actually support the 6800 Ultra ( I think the 61.77 was the only one , I many be wrong on this ) V.S. ATI? I have never had a problem with the Catalyst Or Forceware suites of drivers , but I do appricate more frequent releases of drivers straight from the companys themselves.

BTW its not my drivers , display settings ect ect... I have experienced the same results after several formats. Unless these issues are related to people using similar hardware like I am ( Which I highly doubt is the case. ) then I would most likely say it has to do with 1.) The arcitexture of the card or 2.) The current maturity level of the drivers. I really wanted to like the 6800 , dont get me wrong its not a terrible card , but somehow I feel that I didnt make the right decision.

Seeing redraws? I'm running 3200x1200 and I'm having no problems on my GT...maybe you shoud ditch YzDock, whatever that is.

Every review I've ever read in any game that was worth a damn showed nv and ati anti-aliasing to be nearly identical in quality.

Also, yeah ATi releases new drivers every month, but thier drivers are also known for breaking as many things as they fix in nearly every release...in my experience nvidia's drivers have always been more stable.

I think you're imagining things with the AA, and I think you probably hit a driver bug or something with the YzDock doodad, you might try messing with overlay settings or somerhing cuz you seriously shouldn't be seeing that kind of slowdown. I run objectdock and smartbarxp on dual monitors and it's smooth as silk...

EDIT: I downloaded yzdock, and it runs faster than objectdock...so I really don't know what your comp is doing...

Yes....although ATI does provide the mass public with more driver releases...don't be fooled...these are NOT to imporove card optimizations...they are to fix compalability issues with games. The manufacturer relies on the public sector to let them know of vcard issues. Nvidia simply does more homework BEFORE driver release!

sgi02 said:

You need to upgrade your mobo drivers. maybe a fesh install. I had that problem too, and it was those issues. And yes, I'm running hi-res and yzdock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back