lets play the blame game

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok I'll try to make a long story short.

I turned on my PC and device manager says my Geforce 6800 could not be started. Error code 10. This also happened to my TV capture card the Asus TV880. Sometimes after a restart they both would work and sometimes only one or the other. After many driver reinstalls I removed my TV capture card and the Geforce would no longer have the code 10. Except the AGP texture acceleration would no longer be enabled and like the error code 10 it would sometimes be there when I restart and sometimes it would not.

So now I swapped this Geforce 6800 into a PC with a Abit NF7-S. So far it works fine. I put the Radeon 9500 into my PC and that works fine.

So what could have happened? Did my motherboard broke or my video card? I'll try to swap them back to see if this somehow went away.

It's a 400 watt $35 power supply I got from Newegg. I can't remember the model.

I do have an old 300 watt that did work fine. I'm going to swap cards again and if it's back then I'll try another power supply.

IceDigger said:
Brand for a PS definetly does matter.
And just so you know, the best brands are:

Antec
Thermaltake
Seasonic
Raidmax (some may disagree, I believe their retail version can perform very well. Mine is rock solid right now)
Enermax

I would recommend Antec above them all. For your needs, i would go with a Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103928

Or FSP/Sparkle. Jeez man, you can have a quality 450W Dual 12v for fifteen less than that antec. FSP is king of the price/performance in PSU land.

either way, I doubt this is the PSU.

Panda Man said:
And just so you know, the best brands are:

Antec
Thermaltake
Seasonic
Raidmax (some may disagree, I believe their retail version can perform very well. Mine is rock solid right now)
Enermax

I would recommend Antec above them all. For your needs, i would go with a Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103928

Oh dear God this man knows nothing about psu's.

I am the author of 2 stickies in the PSU forum, and have extensive experience with well over a hundred different units.

Raidmax is by FAR one of the worst power supplies. When it blows, your system is toast. Also, stay far away from nearly all thermaltakes. In addition, Seasonice BLOWS AWAY antec, and enermax is slightly better as well.

That list is LOL funny. In fact, I haev a suspicion it may be a cruel joke. He also never named the real best companies out there, such as PCP&C, Zippy, Estasis, Silverstone, FSP group, OCZ, Tagan, etc, etc.

That list is just plain wrong.

computerpro3 said:

I am the author of 2 stickies in the PSU forum, and have extensive experience with well over a hundred different units.

Raidmax is by FAR one of the worst power supplies. When it blows, your system is toast. Also, stay far away from nearly all thermaltakes. In addition, Seasonice BLOWS AWAY antec, and enermax is slightly better as well.

That list is LOL funny. In fact, I haev a suspicion it may be a cruel joke. He also never named the real best companies out there, such as PCP&C, Zippy, Estasis, Silverstone, FSP group, OCZ, Tagan, etc, etc.

I thought the same thing when I saw Raidmax on the list, and Antec over Enermax???

My old power supply is a Sparkle. The new one is a 450 watt value series Rockwell power supply. Though it turns out it wasn't the problem. I think...

I recently installed memory heat sinks on my video card and attacked a water cooling block. Though for the first week nothing was wrong. I removed the memory heatsinks and everything seems fine for now.

I'm very sure the memory heat sinks weren't touching anything conductive. Maybe the power supply isn't having a bad day today?

Poor, poor creature. I would recommend the OCZ 520. Has gotten great review's, as well as the 600w varient. PC Power and Cooling I would rate as #1, (but will add a sig. dollar increase), with OCZ as #2. Have never worked with a silverstone PSU, but have heard through the grape fine that they have solid reputation. One of the nicer aspects of OCZ Powerstream PSU's that they will pretty well perform with just about anything you can throw at it currently.

Panda.. Just to warn you, your RaidMax PSU is a ticking time bomb. Dont get me wrong, I hope it works out well for ya, but I wouldnt trust that in my parents Dell (Lets hear it for the generic platform).

Guys, look at his system. It's two generations old and your sitting here suggesting SLI-grade power supplies :rolleyes: Even that Antec someone mentioned would probably be overkill. Be realistic, I would guess he's on a tight budget given that he bought a $35 power supply to begin with.

I'm sure that "02 Vette" that he has posted in his sig. will cost a few dollars more than a quality PSU. Bear in mind that when he upgrades, that PSU will be a quality unit in the upgrade. If your going middle of the road, Antec, Enermax are 2 of the more popular brands, with my personal preference to enermax.

Antec does have IMO the best value PSU. (Sp-500). Modular, good ratings, solid rails, and cheap (around $60).

But anyway, the PSU probably isn't the issue in your case, since your not getting the error when gaming or anything.

Judging by this, it seems to be some sort of IRQ conflict. Try the fix on that site (yes, I know it's for a Hauppage card, but still) and then try changing the IRQ of it?
The fact that one will work without the other kinda points to conflicts.

computerpro3 said:

I read your post too slow, I read the "Seasonic BLOWS" and I didn't keep reading! :p

banGerprawN said:
Judging by this, it seems to be some sort of IRQ conflict. Try the fix on that site (yes, I know it's for a Hauppage card, but still) and then try changing the IRQ of it?
The fact that one will work without the other kinda points to conflicts.
Finally, someone who wants to contribute...

I would agree, the IRQ settings sound the most likely culprit. Either that, or the drivers for the two are playing up. Grab the latest for each card, see if that helps. Finally, if one of the cards is faulty, then it may cause dramas in Windows with either of them not working.

The PSU is definatly not the problem. I would say that the IRQ settings in Windows are causing the grief.

For your needs grab a nice Enernmax. OCZ, Power PC, etc.. those will be over kill.

Vengance_01 said:
For your needs grab a nice Enernmax. OCZ, Power PC, etc.. those will be over kill.
If the problem comes up again then I'll do just that.

HyperTension said:
I'm sure that "02 Vette" that he has posted in his sig. will cost a few dollars more than a quality PSU.
The Vette isn't new and wasn't bought in great condition. So yea it was cheap. :p

I thought this PSU would be ok for my needs. Though I'm hating the noise it makes from the fan. :mad:

Why do people assume that if you pay a lot for one thing then you must have money to throw around. No one ever saw a guy own a top of the line HDTV but yet drives a 1985 junk of a car?

This statement is regarding to me alone (and probably others as well). Would those PSU's mentioned be overkill. Possible. But to me, I would rather spend a bit of extra coin to create a platform that has a higher chance of stability and minimizing the potiential of failure. After having a PSU or two fail, and those events creating a new mobo, and a new mobo / /cpu / video card, you find yourself willing to spend a little bit more vs. a $70 450W psu with maximum hype and minimum reliability.

"Money to throw around". If that was the feeling that you recieved from the post that I placed, then I apologize. Nothing could be further from the truth. That old adage of "you get what you pay for" extended to us computer geeks. Can things fail, absolutly. We see that in every forum section. However, you can minimize that risk by purchasing quality parts that have a history of reliablity. ::::Gawd, talk about jumpin on the PR bandwagon!:::: :D

not that i think the power supply is causing it, but here's a good budget ps for anything short of an extreme sli system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

i do know how important a good ps can be, but i feel that the ps becomes a bit of a scapegoat for the unexplainable. i've had lousy ps' and good ps' and alot of what a good ps supplies is peace of mind. also, a good ups (something that everyone should own) can help support a bad ps by doing alot of the filtering that the ps skips out on.

Back