Let's Clear the Confusion: 8800GT stronger or weaker than the new GTS?

Spoudazo

Gawd
So the 8800GT is slower or faster than the new 8800GTS soon to be released? I have heard both.

I'm not sure where you would have heard that the GT would be stronger than the new GTS. That doesn't make any sense. It certainly has the potential to outperform the existing GTS 320, especially overclocked. But not the 112 shader 640 model.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. :) So I guess that means it could be the "old" 640 GTS, as the 320 and 640 perform nearly the same in a lot of situations. :)

Why not wait and see what it's specs are, because you can't? Seriously though, even with the GT and GTS (usually higher) naming schemes, we can't say for sure. If it's got 64SPs then it'll be below. If it's got a 256-bit bus then it'll be below. Another thing is that I don't see the point in adding 16SPs to the current GTS (assuming rumors are true) and keep everything else the same, you're looking at realistic 10-13% performance boost over 96SPs. Keeping the 320-bit bus on their further limits the gains you'd see, vs another 16SPs and a higher 384-bit bus for the GTX. You could OC it, but you'd still be a a little off from GTX performance, especially at higher resolutions. However, if the GT is able to compete (HIGHLY doubt it) for $299 then I'm picking one up.

the confusion?

confusion is thinking you know what a product does compared to one that already exists before its even out.

not to be a dick but this is worhtless
noone will know anything until the card is out and reviews by a worthy source.

the confusion?

confusion is thinking you know what a product does compared to one that already exists before its even out.

not to be a dick but this is worhtless
noone will know anything until the card is out and reviews by a worthy source.

ditto. kill this thread.

A 112sp GTS might be "just enough" to run Crysis at 1920 with the shadows on. I need more shader pipes! But unless its a whole lot cheaper than a GTX or has other performance advantages I don't know why I wouldn't just skip over it.

The simple fact is we don't know, and anyone that tells you that they do know how the 8800GT performs is a lier.

I've done nothing but read every BS site on the web about these upcoming cards and my impression, totally based on rumor, is that they will be close enough to current 8800GTS 640 performance that they are adding the extra sp's to above said card to make the gap wide enough to justify the price difference. You can talk about memory bus width and sp's all you want but clock speed on the new process will compensate. I believe that the 512MB part will offer the same performance as a GTS 320 but you'll be able to go that extra step in resolution for the same money people paying now for GTS 320 (approx $299). The $250ish 256MB part will be a true mid-range offering good performance at resolutions of 1280 and below.

This is what I THINK based on RUMOR.

Have fun with it.

Well you're both annoying. :p J/K

Maybe he is cluing us in under NDA. ;)

What hes doing if he is under an NDA violates the terms. You cant agree to not disclose information then go around vaguely correcting people or making vague comments like he knows something to the contrary of whats being discussed.

GoldenTiger said:
Wait. Nvidia's stuff is coming around the 29th of THIS MONTH, and ATI's is supposed to be on Nov. 19th... both will provide a HUGELY better bang/buck ratio and lower costs than the current cards. Heck, buy two RV670's for the price of one current GTX and run circles around it, or 2x of the new GTS with 112 SP's and pwn it in SLI .

Like that for example if he really knew something official and was under an NDA that clearly violates an NDA hes even gone as far as to "inform" everyone what the MSRP of the new cards will even be...

He knows nothing official and seems to think he has some inside sources. Hes full of shit and out to get some attention and hes getting it alright.

The simple fact is we don't know, and anyone that tells you that they do know how the 8800GT performs is a lier.

The 8800GT must be a better card than GTS. If not, then it doesn't make much sense and we throw it in a crap "list" along with 8600.. So yes, I believe that 8800GT will outperform GTS, IMO.

It's all relative to the pricing as for whether or not it's junk, but it does look like it'll be solidly between the GTS and the GTX. BTW it's a rule of nature that a video card company must release at least one confusing product per year or the earth will explode.

during the vast majority of cases the new 8800 GT will be faster than current 320/640 GTS cards.

Traditionally I think the it has gone GT<GTS<GTX with the naming convention, so while it appears that the GT will outclass the existing GTS, one could reasonably expect that a new G92 based GTS card would be superior to the GT, of course that would also mean the GTX would have to be revamped/replaced too.

In all honesty, until nvidia comes out with a clear roadmap, I think there will continue to be confusion about what's coming out when, and what positions will be filled by what cards.

The 8800gt coming out on it's own, not being a clear part of a family of cards (It has the 8series name, but the 9series code!) is sort of an odd setup, I'm hoping, just for the sake of my own interest, that the story behind nvidia spitting out this odd-ball card on it's own is included in [H]'s write up. I mean is it the pinnacle of 8 series engineering, or is it a trial run for the 9 series? Is it a standalone one off?

What?

Back