Let us talk wheather (cloud)

I'm interested in testing out a private cloud solution. I've looked at owncloud.org but have read mixed reviews, mostly bad unfortunately. The project looks promising though. The main reason I'm looking at this is because more and more of our users want access to files outside of the office. Believe it or not an SSL VPN connection for most of our users is difficult to say the least.

We are a Windows shop with AD. I've been hearing about Server 8 having "cloud" features but I haven't gotten to eval Server 8 just yet so I'm not entirely up on it feature set. Will Server 8 let you create a private cloud that is accessible via desktop, internet and a mobile app? Basically wanting to look at creating a private dropbox for about 100 users each at two separate locations.

Looking for a private cloud solution with dropbox like ease of use that will work on WIndows platform with AD integration..

Anyone doing this right now? What did you use and how has it turned out?

"Cloud" *twitch* *twitch*

Oh how I loathe that word.

Do you want this accessible from the internet or just on your network? Sounds like you want something like Sharepoint.

"Cloud" *twitch* *twitch*

Oh how I loathe that word.
Agreed. It's nothing more than a marketing term, useful when you don't actually want to convey what you are talking about to the "Decision Makers", but you want them be excited about it all the same. OP, do you know what "cloud' actually, truthfully, means? It means "something" is "someone" else's problem. That's it. Which is why the term "private cloud" is so amusing, and distressing, all at once.

That rant said, sharepoint would seem to address your needs, OP.

tumblr_lyv3r7tECR1r097cj.jpg

Seriously though, "cloud" is an irritating term to say the least. At least "offsite" sounds a little better.

Is the private dropbox the only thing you were interested in?

Yeah guys I get it. I use the term in this case because it gets the point across (I hope) to what I'm looking for. I too hate to hear buzzwords being thrown around but in this case being a public forum with people from all walks of life it seemed fitting. Whether we like it or not the term is here to stay as all the big players have latched onto it as a selling point.

In a perfect scenario, this will be storage (windows server) that will be accessible via an easy to use desktop app, usual windows mapped drive, mobile app, and of course web page if needed. A private dropbox solution. Does Sharepoint have these features? What is a ballpark cost for a 100 user solution?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: yes internet accessible.

Sharepoint is the bomb.
You can get the free one, or the paid version.
Free version works very well, and its super easy to setup.

Back