Let the 6970 Rumors Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. When we all spend this much time analyzing one throw-away line by a guy on a website, it must mean we really need some leaks. Come on, where's Wikileaks when you really need them? :)

I thought the 6970 was going to be the greatest card of all time?...I hope they don't focus their marketing on the 6970 being faster then the GTX 480!!...ridiculous...who cares about it being faster then the 480...the 580 is what this should be compared against, no other single card

looks like this will be ATI's version of the GTX 480 launch

I thought the 6970 was going to be the greatest card of all time?...I hope they don't focus their marketing on the 6970 being faster then the GTX 480!!...ridiculous...who cares about it being faster then the 480...the 580 is what this should be compared against, no other single card

If it's about 10-20% faster than the GTX480, then it's about 40% faster than the HD5870....
- and about equal to a GTX580

- well, we'll know next week...

I don't know what's worse, the tripe fudzilla writes in order to get hits or dumb people who will regurgitate what he writes as if they were facts. Everything he wrote is complete bullshit. He's saying that the 6970 is 20% faster than the GTX480, then in another paragraph he says it will be slower than the GTX570. Those are by definition contradicting statements. If anyone doubted his ignorance and lack of skill in writing PR spin this "article" should be proof enough.

I don't get how Charlie gets the bad rap for being inaccurate after spending the last year and a half being pretty spot-on due to his sources, but Fudzilla is wrong several times a week for the last year and a half.

I don't get how Charlie gets the bad rap for being inaccurate after spending the last year and a half being pretty spot-on due to his sources, but Fudzilla is wrong several times a week for the last year and a half.

It's funny how Fuad claims his "sources" provided the benchmark info, when it's blatantly obvious he got his information from fake slides. Very sad. He, also, for the most part, said the 6970 is about as fast a 580, but claims it's slower than a 570. Delusional much?

I think the point is that Fud is mostly harmless, and not taken too seriously, and doesn't seem to have a malicious intent.
;)

Since when does ATI have a single GPU that competes with Nvidia's top-end GPU?
Since never. By any logic, the 6990 would compete with the GTX 580.

GTX 280 launched June 2008, 4850 and 4870 launched a month later (both slower) but incredibly cheaper (perf/$), the 4870X2 didn't launch until August (2 months).
Realistically, the 6970 should be slightly slower than the GTX 580 and end up somewhere between $400 and $450.

I saw this coming.
The 5870 was a generation ahead of Nvidia (GTX 285 single GPU). It should be compared with the GTX 480. There's a 9 month window between the two cards.

And there's a 6-7 month period between the 5870 and 480. September 23, 2009 to April 7-14, 2010.

Edit: Did you edit your post?

I saw this coming.
The 5870 was a generation ahead of Nvidia (GTX 285 single GPU). It should be compared with the GTX 480.
How close do two video cards have to be released to compare them? 1 month? Nine months? 4 months? 35 days? 23 days? What if Nvidia had waited two years for their next generation? Would we have to say "ATI is not ahead! Just wait til Nvidia releases their competing part!"?

To you, ATI is never ahead unless they release on Nvidia's time schedule.

How close do two video cards have to be released to compare them? 1 month? Nine months? 4 months? 35 days? 23 days?
And there's a 6-7 month period between the 5870 and 480. September 23, 2009 to April 7-14, 2010.
For the purposes of following product trends, limit it to a one-product window of comparison (generation vs generation). Anything else causes confusion like this.

We spent a year and a half talking about 4870 and 4870X2 vs GTX 280.
It's kind of silly to allow ATI a 2nd generation of card to finally beat the GTX 280, and then not allow Nvidia the same kind of response.

To you, ATI is never ahead unless they release on Nvidia's time schedule.
Because on a generational level, ATI requires two GPU's to defeat Nvidia.
That's just the way it is. There's nothing wrong with that, ATI has always offered more $/perf.

I compare whatevers released at the time.
What you're talking about is a boxing match where 1 boxer has to just stand there and not throw punches. Then you brag when the other guy wins.
Congrats, the 5870 was finally able to defeat the GTX 280 after nearly two years...

Congrats, the 5870 was finally able to defeat the GTX 280 after nearly two years...

A year and 3 months actually, and I thought the GTX 285, which is faster than the 280, came out in January 09?

What you're talking about is a boxing match where 1 boxer has to just stand there and not throw punches. Then you brag when the other guy wins.

So the 5870 was not the fastest single GPU in the world until the 480 arrived? Could have fooled me...

time between releases has nothing to do with it...each company has their flagship single and multi GPU card...period...you can't selectively decide to cherry pick which cards you want to compare against each other...GTX 580 is Nvidia's flagship card...Radeon 6970 will be AMD's...those 2 cards should go head to head

Nvidia screwed up their 480 launch...so you're saying that it should be held against AMD and the 5870?...penalize AMD for releasing a good card while granting Nvidia a reprieve?...gimme a break

time between releases has nothing to do with it...each company has their flagship single and multi GPU card...period...you can't selectively decide to cherry pick which cards you want to compare against each other...GTX 580 is Nvidia's flagship card...Radeon 6970 will be AMD's...those 2 cards should go head to head

Nvidia screwed up their 480 launch...so you're saying that it should be held against AMD and the 5870?...penalize AMD for releasing a good card while granting Nvidia a reprieve?...gimme a break
This is correct, time has nothing to do with it.
I've already said I'm comparing generational cards, that is to say, when both companies have released a product (or the very next product after a competitor's release).

I'm saying the 480 should be held against the 5870 for the sole purpose of it being Nvidia's next product. You can't expect Nvidia to launch the GTX 280 using their time machine, designing it to compete with the 5870 years in the future.

Product cycle (time) is irrelevant.
The bottom line here is, ATI can only defeat Nvidia single vs single, when Nvidia's technology is outdated by years. That's just the way it is, guys. You guys look silly arguing anything otherwise since it's already a well-known fact.

The bottom line here is, ATI can only defeat Nvidia single vs single, when Nvidia's technology is outdated by years. That's just the way it is, guys. You guys look silly arguing anything otherwise since it's already a well-known fact.

That is just in the recent generations. Calling it a well-known fact is a really big generalization.

The bottom line here is, ATI can only defeat Nvidia single vs single, when Nvidia's technology is outdated by years.

who's fault is it if Nvidia falls behind?...so if a competitor falls behind, all others should fall behind as well allowing everyone to be on equal footing?...makes no sense...flagship vs flagship...it looks like you're making excuses for Nvidia

who's fault is it if Nvidia falls behind?...so if a competitor falls behind, all others should fall behind as well allowing everyone to be on equal footing?...makes no sense...flagship vs flagship...it looks like you're making excuses for Nvidia
"Falls behind"?
Generationally, Nvidia is always ahead. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Product cycle (time) is irrelevant.

I guess price doesn't matter either? Then Nvidia should skip releasing for a year, then their lower generation cards will win guaranteed!

I guess price doesn't matter either? Then Nvidia should skip releasing for a year, then their lower generation cards will win guaranteed!
Price doesn't matter.
Nvidia could skip a year if they want. This also means ATI has a year to release a new product.

Utopia is correct. The 5870 should be compared to the 480. AMD has not had the single fastest GPU since the x1950xtx. You should be comparing current generation cards from both sides just because one side is late doesn't mean they arent directly competing. This applies to the 2900xt as well.

EDIT: It's practically a given that the 5870 would be faster than the 285. If it was not it would of been a massive failure on AMD's part.

"Falls behind"?
Generationally, Nvidia is always ahead. I have no idea what you're talking about.

So you call being ahead coming 1 year later after the competitor with a product ~20% faster, but hotter and more power hungry than the competitions dual GPU. Oh well, I kinda see your logic, but we are not here to argue about house warming appliances.

The bottom line here is, ATI can only defeat Nvidia single vs single, when Nvidia's technology is outdated by years.

I wouldn't classify a year and 3 months as years, but meh. I'll agree that we should compare the 480 to 5870.

I do find it funny that the 280 was still over $500+ when the 4870 was released for $300.

"Falls behind"?

you need to take all factors into account when determining the worth of a product...performance, price, heat, power output etc...the 480 was not the overall better card vs the 5870...the 580 is the better card but it doesn't count towards the 5870 anymore since the 6970 will be AMD's new flagship card

even if the 480 was better in terms of gaming frame rates, when you take everything else into consideration the 5870 was the clear winner

So you call being ahead coming 1 year later after the competitor with a product ~20% faster, but hotter and more power hungry than the competitions dual GPU. Oh well, I kinda see your logic, but we are not here to argue about house warming appliances.
Time doesn't matter, since both companies are given the same level of "time". In the length of time it takes for one company to release a response product, the competitor could have also developed a new product. You're trying to allow one company to stagnate (do nothing) while the other develops. That obviously doesn't happen; both companies are always developing.

And when it comes to straight GPU performance, the thermals and acoustics don't matter, either.

even if the 480 was better in terms of gaming frame rates, when you take everything else into consideration the 5870 was the clear winner
I guess it depends how you look at "taking everything else into account".
Personally, between the 480 and 5870, I would buy the 5870.

Utopia is correct. The 5870 should be compared to the 480. AMD has not had the single fastest GPU since the x1950xtx. You should be comparing current generation cards from both sides just because one side is late doesn't mean they arent directly competing. This applies to the 2900xt as well.

How about this scenario:

AMD releases card A. Nvidia releases faster card B 1/2 year later. AMD releases even faster card C 1/2 year later.

Should we compare A to B, and declare Nvidia the winner, or B to C, and declare AMD the winner?

I personally will say AMD wins from the time frame between A and B, and Nvidia wins from the time between B to C, and AMD wins from the time between C to Nvidia's next faster card. Is this unreasonable? Do we have to shift release times left and right for generational comparisons?

Yea, 5970 fastest card in the world.
580 gtx aint catching up even a year late and soon 6990 is out, gee nvidia is really ahead.:rolleyes:

I use 6850 in crossfire with a price/performance ratio that exceeds nvidias 580 with a huge margin and I run BC2 flawless, my friend using a 480 gtx, complains all the time about Nvdias drivers there.

ahead?
gee:D

How about this scenario:

AMD releases card A. Nvidia releases faster card B 1/2 year later. AMD releases even faster card C 1/2 year later.

Should we compare A to B, and declare Nvidia the winner, or B to C, and declare AMD the winner?

I personally will say AMD wins from the time frame between A and B, and Nvidia wins from the time between B to C, and AMD wins from the time between C to Nvidia's next faster card. Is this unreasonable? Do we have to shift release times left and right for generational comparisons?

^^ This.

How about this scenario:

This has never happened. Well, not in the last 5-6 years.
But to answer your question, you would compare B and C, simply because both companies had equal amounts of time to develop a product.

To put it into real terms, your situation is the equivalent of ATI launching a 5800 refresh when the GTX 480 launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back