Let RX 580 Overclocking hype train begin.. LOL

Looks like the Limited Edition 580 may be worth considering as they seem to have much better voltages, but still with the same TBP in general.
Tom's review had their Sapphire 580 Nitro LE with a peak of 1.19V for 1450MHz, while TPU for same GPU has 1.125V for 1411MHz.

Just depends if they can be fed enough power with reasonable voltage scaling and with cooling - probably good candidates for water cooling.

CHeers

Last edited:
Still like to see a 480 vs 580 undervolting test. See how much the power curve improved before cranking up the clocks.

Sapphire has a card that comes 1450MHz from the factory on air!

Yea. toms hardware has a good review up when it comes to power. Looks like AMD did tighten things up a bit when it comes to leakage.

Yea. toms hardware has a good review up when it comes to power. Looks like AMD did tighten things up a bit when it comes to leakage.
power_crysis3.png

Did they?

power_crysis3.png

Did they?

did you actually read the review at toms? Did they lower the voltage on the rx 580 to match the voltage on the rx 480? Nitro+ has higher voltage to run in the 1400s. So you can't just clock down. Its obvious its going to use more watts if it has higher voltage under 3d then the 480. You would have to drop the volts as well.

Toms hardware did it right, they determined under gaming it used the same amount of power at 1450 as the prvious nitro+ at 1350.

quote directly from Toms hardware.

"At 1411 MHz in silent mode and 1450 MHz in boost mode, you're talking about much higher clock rates than Ellesmere was originally set to run at. Impressively, Sapphire enables these frequencies without using more power than the Radeon RX 480. In our gaming loop, its Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 operates at an almost-constant 1450 MHz, whereas the previous-gen card was limited to 1350 MHz and used just as much power. One explanation for this is lower leakage current. A much better cooling solution helps keep GPU temperatures down, and we estimate this provides an advantage of ~10W.

The Radeon RX 580's higher frequency does come at a price, though: it requires a higher voltage setting"

Of course you do, you are not going to purchase it either.

Really? Got a rx 470 for my second rig I am about to go exhange lol. Last time I remembered you weren't me. Oh also got a gtx 1080 for my main rig, lol. I'll send you a picture ones I get one lol.

You are going to buy yourself the golden sample version? Well, color me impressed.

No I am going to swap for an rx 580. You are hell bent on this golden sample crap when they are all overclocking to 1465+.

Please move on dont need edit my post and quote one word. GTFO.

I am done addressing you I will address the post now. Lets ignore one another.

so these 1450+ overclocks are only with 8+6 or 8+8 power pins? if so then nothing changed other than card design to provide more power from more power pins to overclock the same chip. my msi rx 480 gaming X OC can do these clocks but if the load gets to ~200w it gets unstable because its only 8pins. With an additional 6 or 8 pins for more power my RX 480 would be stable at 1450+ clocks as well.

I notice that has +84Mv.
So isn't that 1.37-1.38V?
Will be a bit less than the actual but still above 1.35V and that would be too much for 24/7 as well.
Cheers

I don't think its 1.35v. I think its in the 1.2 category. It really depends on what the default voltage is. its adding .084 volts to stock voltage. if stock is 1.16v then it will be 1.24v.

I don't think its 1.35v. I think its in the 1.2 category. It really depends on what the default voltage is. its adding .084 volts to stock voltage. if stock is 1.16v then it will be 1.24v.
It is more than 1.2V, and that is an additional offset.
With the AMD tool the offset is after 1.29V, and that can be seen in Buildzoid's videos; so if the same with MSI Afterburner with the Polaris GPU it would be 1.365-1.37V

The Limited Edition Sapphire 580 (and these have the best voltage I have seen yet in reviews) does 1.19V at 1450MHz (and that is the 1.2V you mention). - To me these are the only ones so far that may have a chance to reach 1500MHz at 1.3V.
At 1411MHz it used 1.125V in another review same Limited Edition 580, so 1.3V at 1500MHz will be quite tight to do even with binned part.

Cheers

It is more than 1.2V, and that is an additional offset.
With the AMD tool the offset is after 1.29V, and that can be seen in Buildzoid's videos; so if the same with MSI Afterburner with the Polaris GPU it would be 1.365-1.37V

The Limited Edition Sapphire 580 (and these have the best voltage I have seen yet in reviews) does 1.19V at 1450MHz (and that is the 1.2V you mention). - To me these are the only ones so far that may have a chance to reach 1500MHz at 1.3V.
At 1411MHz it used 1.125V in another review same Limited Edition 580, so 1.3V at 1500MHz will be quite tight to do even with binned part.

Cheers

I said its in the 1.2 category, meaning not exactly 1.2, in the 1.2s. Yes whatever the default voltage is you will add .084 to that to get the final voltage. But I don't know what the default 3d voltage is on that card.

I think AMD knew the limitation going in. That is why Vega NCUs are labeled as designed for higher clocks and more operations per clock. Adding more shaders would have never worked as they would be stuck with same lower clock speeds.

Last edited:
I said its in the 1.2 category, meaning not exactly 1.2, in the 1.2s. Yes whatever the default voltage is you will add .084 to that to get the final voltage. But I don't know what the default 3d voltage is on that card.

I think AMD knew the limitation going in. That is why Vega NCUs are labeled as designed for higher clocks and more operations per clock. Adding more shaders would have never worked as they would be stuck with same lower clock speeds.
These GPUs have had their voltage limit seriously increased from the standard BIOS of the 480s and it is not even capped at 1.2V.

HardOCP review also used the same Red Devil Golden Sample 580 GPU, Brent showed they used 1.225V at 1425MHz (default max boost of card without offsets for OCing).
Emphasising my point that the link to overclockersclub is well over safe 24/7 voltages as the cap at best will be 1.25V for that GPU and maybe 1.29V (this was some kind of artificial ceiling in the past on 480) before offsets apply.
If wanting to do high or extreme OCing I would possibly consider the Sapphire 580 Limited Edition as that for now is the one that seems closest to being able to get 24/7 safe voltages to 1500MHz. but still needs to be evaluated in that context to be sure.
Cheers

Last edited:
Is there any indication that this a revision of the original Polaris chips? Judging by the review I've seen there does seem to be a trend of higher clocking cards, but these may well just be binned chips, not to mention cherry picked samples to send reviews.

I ain't saying its improved, I ain't saying it isn't, I'm just asking if there's any solid information with regards to this

Is there any indication that this a revision of the original Polaris chips? Judging by the review I've seen there does seem to be a trend of higher clocking cards, but these may well just be binned chips, not to mention cherry picked samples to send reviews.

I ain't saying its improved, I ain't saying it isn't, I'm just asking if there's any solid information with regards to this
I think they have managed to sustain higher stable clock frequencies as part of the refresh beyond being binned but it still has same TDP/TBP trend as 480 and possibly similar voltages (excluding such as Sapphire 580 Limited Edition)
The binned ones stand out by having quite low voltages for said clocks such as the Sapphire 580 Nitro Limited Edition but with expected TDP/TBP we would expect (not worth comparing to the Sapphire Nitro 480 as that was quite poor in comparison to other manufacturers), others seem more general like the Red Devil 580 Golden Edition.

Cheers

If it were binning the 570s wouldn't have the clocks they do. They got a huge bump compared to 580. Internally and in drivers they were listing Polaris 20. So same base architecture, but power delivery or layout was likely modified. I'm sticking with that capacitor concept introduced with Zen that would have stabilized clockspeeds.

Reducing capacitance would improve both stability at higher frequencies and reduce losses, so yeah that's possible, but I'm asking if it's a different revision, should be written on the chip.

Its entirely possible that improvements in manufacturing resulted in these gains, essentially more 'high binned' chips per wafer, curious to see how the average overclocks will pan out on these cards, as it seems only the high end ones were reviewed

These GPUs have had their voltage limit seriously increased from the standard BIOS of the 480s and it is not even capped at 1.2V.

HardOCP review also used the same Red Devil Golden Sample 580 GPU, Brent showed they used 1.225V at 1425MHz (default max boost of card without offsets for OCing).
Emphasising my point that the link to overclockersclub is well over safe 24/7 voltages as the cap at best will be 1.25V for that GPU and maybe 1.29V (this was some kind of artificial ceiling in the past on 480) before offsets apply.
If wanting to do high or extreme OCing I would possibly consider the Sapphire 580 Limited Edition as that for now is the one that seems closest to being able to get 24/7 safe voltages to 1500MHz. but still needs to be evaluated in that context to be sure.
Cheers

This is same as always. Variation of chips with different voltages. For example power color working at higher voltage than sapphire nitro +. This is how it's always been with Polaris. Real test will be to undervolt these and check for stability. I did with one of the rx 480 from xfx for one of my builds. Sucker was running at 1.25 at times. I undervolted it to 1.1 and it was rock stable at 1350. That's just how Polaris is some manufacturers just plugging in more voltage. I think this time around amd seems to have given more freedom to board partners. May be due to cooling and power delivery on golden sample power color went a little all out on voltage lol.

This is same as always. Variation of chips with different voltages. For example power color working at higher voltage than sapphire nitro +. This is how it's always been with Polaris. Real test will be to undervolt these and check for stability. I did with one of the rx 480 from xfx for one of my builds. Sucker was running at 1.25 at times. I undervolted it to 1.1 and it was rock stable at 1350. That's just how Polaris is some manufacturers just plugging in more voltage. I think this time around amd seems to have given more freedom to board partners. May be due to cooling and power delivery on golden sample power color went a little all out on voltage lol.

Yes but they align with my point about breaking 24/7 voltage levels with the Red Devil in that overclockersclub review.
What you are mentioning now is going away from the original discussion.
CHeers

If it were binning the 570s wouldn't have the clocks they do. They got a huge bump compared to 580. Internally and in drivers they were listing Polaris 20. So same base architecture, but power delivery or layout was likely modified. I'm sticking with that capacitor concept introduced with Zen that would have stabilized clockspeeds.
470s were artificially power limited, there is nothing about their clock jump that is remotely interesting unless it is within same TDP.
As for naming the same GPU differently, AMD has a history with that, too.

Yes but they align with my point about breaking 24/7 voltage levels with the Red Devil in that overclockersclub review.
What you are mentioning now is going away from the original discussion.
CHeers
True I'll post what the voltages are on my gugabyte 580 Aorus once I get it.

I'm asking if it's a different revision, should be written on the chip.
There was a huge stepping change.

470s were artificially power limited, there is nothing about their clock jump that is remotely interesting unless it is within same TDP.
Beyond the fact they are now being sold with significantly higher stock clocks? Yields may have been the reason for those power limits and clocks previously.

In the case of fab yields, all of the revised Polaris chips are being manufactured on what AMD is calling the “Latest Generation FinFET 14” process. This is a bit of a mouthful, but in short it’s AMD calling attention to the improvements partners GlobalFoundries and Samsung have made to their 14nm LPP processes in the last year. Yields are up and overall chip quality is better, which improves the average performance (clockspeed & power) characteristics of the chips. Both foundries have also been making other undisclosed, small tweaks to their lines to further boost chip quality. It’s not a new fab process (it’s still 14nm LPP) but it’s an improvement over where Polaris 10 production started nearly a year ago.

Well, I guess that's that

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/2

Last edited:
AdoredTV made an excellent video on Radeon Chill is and also undervolted the MSI RX 580 Gaming X. Massive drops in power for a few minutes of flipping settings in software for Radeon cards. Why don't reviewers explain that using Chill is a must and adjust it to max monitor refresh rates?

Wouldn't Radeon Chill be most useful on low-end cards? AMD launched the RX 560, 550, I'm assuming Chill would be best on those, as well as previous low-end cards. Although, I think AMD needs to market the Chill feature more towards low-end gamers, and through the games they already support. Like, hey, your poor, but guess what? buy this card to play LoL at 60 fps for $80. Better than Intel graphics. And etc. But best way would be to toss these in OEM stuff and mention in big letters, ENABLE RADEON CHILL.

Wouldn't Radeon Chill be most useful on low-end cards? AMD launched the RX 560, 550, I'm assuming Chill would be best on those, as well as previous low-end cards. Although, I think AMD needs to market the Chill feature more towards low-end gamers, and through the games they already support. Like, hey, your poor, but guess what? buy this card to play LoL at 60 fps for $80. Better than Intel graphics. And etc. But best way would be to toss these in OEM stuff and mention in big letters, ENABLE RADEON CHILL.
18 games tho. With largest benefit being on games that are CPU limited in general... so fps limit is already efficient on those for power savings.

Back