Let me blow your minds - 3D for $0 on every display

Kzoak

n00b
I was just thinking, why I never tried this, so I did - and it worked!
You can get (kind of) a 3D effect on your games and videos. It's not perfect of course, because it's not real 3D, but you should definitely try it - and it's free.
What you need is sunglasses. Now cover just one of your eyes and start watching/playing. Awesome, right?!
It's called Pulfrich phenomenon and it's a stereoscopic illusion. Eye covered with sunglasses takes more time to process the image, so we get sort of an effect of those expensive 3D binoculars that shutter their lenses every second frame.
Tips:
- Increase brightness of your screen (bigger screen is also better)
- Make sure you have ambient light on
- Remember to cover just one eye 🙃
- The more movement the better the effect (also horizontal is better than radial) - usually landscapes and text on screen look really good
- It works on everything to an extent, as long as there's movement between "layers" of objects.

Good footage to show of this effect is this one (MSFS2020):

9F649400-2BF1-47A6-960F-0AF6CA443EAD.jpeg

Works (-ish) if you just squint your right eye.

Also: "free 3d vision... for use with your 4090." lol.

Well that's nothing, I think I've still got my nVidia 3D Vision glasses around here somewhere...

Well that's nothing, I think I've still got my nVidia 3D Vision glasses around here somewhere...
I've got a drawer full of 3D glasses lol.
The best method was passive circular polarized but they require an alternating polarized layer going down the screen, one line for each eye.
This halved the resolution for each eye which didnt always look so go at 1080p res.
4K res looked awesome but no TVs have it now.
Boo.

I've got a drawer full of 3D glasses lol.
The best method was passive circular polarized but they require an alternating polarized layer going down the screen, one line for each eye.
This halved the resolution for each eye which didnt always look so go at 1080p res.
4K res looked awesome but no TVs have it now.
Boo.
Those are likely all passive 3D glasses. The GeForce 3D Vision glasses were active shutter glasses which worked with 120hz monitors by completely blocking the image to one eye at a time so that you got a full resolution 60hz 3D image to each eye.
Selling sunglasses with one lens blacked out sounds like a feature Nvidia fanbois would pay an extra $75 for. 3D-Sync, just make them green and have Jensen Huang's name on the side of them
It was an extra $200 in 2009 dollars ;). And that isn't including the fact you likely needed a new monitor that supported it, I know I did. And the GPU('s) to push a high enough frame rate, a couple of EVGA GTX 260 core 216's in SLI did the trick for me. All running on an EVGA X58 SLI with an overclocked i7-920 being tamed by a Thermalright Silver Arrow. It cost a pretty penny, sure, but I had tons of fun.

Last edited:
I miss 3D. I used to game in 3D for years. Then TV manufacturers discontinued making them altogether. It was so cool.

I miss 3D. I used to game in 3D for years. Then TV manufacturers discontinued making them altogether. It was so cool.
3D has not yet reach is pinnacle, it is just continuously being improved with new technology. These days it's called Virtual Reality.

I had a Sony 3DTV with big/obnoxious/uncomfortable glasses that worked wonderfully. It sucked having to wear those damned things, but they worked great for movies and gaming alike. I had a total blast playing a bunch of Xbox 360-era games in 3D. The effect was very similar to what they use in 3D rides at Disney, only with giant/uncomfortable glasses instead of tiny/plastic ones. I always hoped that the tech would advance to the point that we'd be rocking tiny plastic glasses but getting the same quality. The next thing I knew, new TV's stopped coming with 3D.
VR is neat and way more immersive, but it's also still a complete pain in the ass. I kinda wish 3D would have kept going until VR became more feasible. It's obviously not going anywhere, but I don't see it truly hitting stride for a while.

I had a Sony 3DTV with big/obnoxious/uncomfortable glasses that worked wonderfully. It sucked having to wear those damned things, but they worked great for movies and gaming alike. I had a total blast playing a bunch of Xbox 360-era games in 3D. The effect was very similar to what they use in 3D rides at Disney, only with giant/uncomfortable glasses instead of tiny/plastic ones. I always hoped that the tech would advance to the point that we'd be rocking tiny plastic glasses but getting the same quality. The next thing I knew, new TV's stopped coming with 3D.
VR is neat and way more immersive, but it's also still a complete pain in the ass. I kinda wish 3D would have kept going until VR became more feasible. It's obviously not going anywhere, but I don't see it truly hitting stride for a while.
The big, obnoxious 3D glasses are because they are active shutter glasses, same as the GeForce 3D vision I talked about. The kind they use at Disney & for 3D movies at the movie theater are passive 3D glasses, which work through polarization. There are lots of things that play into why the different technology was used, but the active shutter glasses were certainly superior at the time, especially for gaming.

Those are likely all passive 3D glasses. The GeForce 3D Vision glasses were active shutter glasses which worked with 120hz monitors by completely blocking the image to one eye at a time so that you got a full resolution 60hz 3D image to each eye.

It was an extra $200 in 2009 dollars ;). And that isn't including the fact you likely needed a new monitor that supported it, I know I did. And the GPU('s) to push a high enough frame rate, a couple of EVGA GTX 260 core 216's in SLI did the trick for me. All running on an EVGA X58 SLI with an overclocked i7-920 being tamed by a Thermalright Silver Arrow. It cost a pretty penny, sure, but I had tons of fun.

Yeah, circular polarised are passive.

My earliest active glasses are the E-dimensional, used with Quake 2 onward on my Voodoo2, Riva TNT, TNT2 ..., mind blowing at the time.
Guru3D covered them:
https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/edimensional-e-d-3d-glasses.html
Unfortunately they arent compatible with LCD displays so have been in the drawer since then.

Last edited:
What about the SpatialLabs sterescropic screens from Acer?

No glasses required!

Back