Less than Impressed with DFI P965

MrSneis

2[H]4U
We received our boards today and compared to my now returned p5b-deluxe I wish I never left the Asus camp just to save a few bucks. I'm not having the "squealing" issue so many others have posted about although my system has always had a ringing to it (MCP55 pump).

I can get it overclocked to almost near p5b levels ala 3.5 GHZ with e6600 + OCZ ddr800 Plat. but I can't seem to get it stable!!! One nice thing about the DFI is the sheer # of options to tweak, only it's hard to know what will help out your overclock OTHER than upping voltage.

CMOS Jumper layout isn't anything to write home about, Abit has the right idea with a cmos reset switch that's easily accessible via back IO panel, I think all board makers need to be doing something similar.

Two things that really piss me off: Can't seem to be able to disable mobo speaker, it beeps every reset!! Can't seem to stop RAM counting @ boot... this is the first time in years I've seen this!!

I really miss the $190 p5b-dlx now, at least the blue LED in system off mode matched my case... Overall I'm dissatisfied, maybe this board was just overhyped.

OMG it boots every time I reset! Maybe I should unplug the mobo speakers!

OMG, there goes another 2 seconds counting the ram!

Come on now, I think you're nitpicking

Yeah I agree. Getting kind of picky there. Also, id bet there is a command to turn that off. Although, I actually just bought this board. I have not opened it yet due to reading everyones issues with hearing some squealing sound. So that part of it I can understand. I definitely cannot have a noisy board, since my computer is in my room. Debating sending it back or selling it.

Can't turn those features off. And the beep is ultra annoying at 1 am when your GF is trying to sleep and you're rebooting.

and clearing CMOS IS a big deal.

Also... Just found out I have the squeal.

for some reason the squealing noise gone.

i have the same feeling first time got the board.
but i found out that my cpu fsb wall not the board that hinder the OC

anyway i sold this puppy and went bearlake

hold insert while you hit the reset button to clear cmos. hold home to reset clocks.

use your manhandling skills and rip off the speaker

hit esc to pass memtest.

play with dq calibration to get stability. 1.6vsb, 105pcie

I was frustrated with this board the first 5 days and said I will sell it ( and go back to my commando ) after benching..... not no more, the commando is outta here and the DFI stays...... This board is so fast its not funny..... It is very stable but you will have to spend alot of time to get there, its not a board for the impatient......

This board is meant more for benchmarkers who will benefit from the speed, for the enthusiast, yeah I think the P5B will be alot better board.....

Back