Lens Reversal Fittings For Macro

Phimp

Gawd
I'm going to pick up a Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III lens for cheap on eBay and try to find a 55mm lens reversal ring so I can start taking some macro photos with my Canon 40D.

Any tips for this?

Also, I currently have a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.
I was thinking about just picking up a 72mm reversal ring so I could use the lens I already have.
But I'm not sure if it'd be good for the lens since the weight would be supported by the end of the lens if it's attached by the filter ring which is fairly wobbly compared to the main body of the lens... Not sure if that would be bad for it or not since the lens weights just over a pound...

Comments? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Focusing is hard this way, especially as you usually cant control aperture and have to stop down before reversing the lens, but the output can be very good. Key tip is to be extra careful, as you have to focus by moving the camera back and forth and sometimes you might end up hitting the back elements of the lens on something, damaging it.

Overall its tough to get good results this way. Head to a photography forum like www.photography-on-the.net and you can get some more tips on doing it though.

Some lenses are better to reverse than others as well.

Personally I found it easier just to save up and invest in a true macro lens.

Ya, I've love to be able to save up for a real macro lens but I'm currently struggling with money as it is.

I don't have a problem dealing with a little difficulty focusing or controlling the aperture, and I can be careful.
I mean, the lens isn't that expensive anyways. Used it goes for about $40.

I currently don't have an external flash, so should I just ghetto rig some sort of flash diffuser over the built in flash on my 40D when shooting macro? I'd really like to have 2 external flash kits with diffusers for macro photos of insects and such, but I'm gonna have to make due with what I have for a while. :p

Thanks for the tips & link, I'll check it out.

Back