Lens in a river

Langford

[H]ard|Gawd
While wandering through the wilderness, I fell in a river. My camera, fell in with me. The camera survived unharmed. Unfortunately the attached lens took in water, and now that it's dry, it is spotty on the inside. I'd rather not have to replace the lens, but after some inspection, I've decided I can't take the lens apart and expect to be able to put it back together. Is there a way to clean it without taking it apart? Maybe some kind of product I can submerge the thing in that won't leave spots behind?

Which lens? If canon, set it in for a warranty repair. You really don't have much options.

I guess I'm buying a new one. Fortunately it was more expensive in my memory than it is in reality.

I guess I'm buying a new one. Fortunately it was more expensive in my memory than it is in reality.

Wait why? If you send it in to the manufacturer they can take it apart, clean and recalibrate it for you. I have a few year old Tamron that I bought used and it will cost me $125 to send it in and have them do all that. Why waste the money if you are happy with the lens.

What lens did you ruin? If it is a one of the expensive "L" or equivalent then I would send it back to the manufacture to get it cleaned properly. Fungus can destroy lens fairly easily. Plus you most likely have mineral deposits on your lens now. If it is a cheap lens, then I would consider it a good time to upgrade.

Back