Lenovo Y480 laptop constantly losing WiFi connection

c00LaS1cE

Limp Gawd
Windows 8.1, everything's updated including the latest drivers. For awhile it was happening 1-2x per day, but now it's happening constantly, to the point where I almost can't even use the internet. I've called Lenovo tech support and after installing some updates and basic troubleshooting they determined it needed to be sent in for repair, but I can't go without the laptop for the time it would need to be serviced. I've determined it's not an issue with the network as none of the other devices in the house have an issue with the WiFi dropping. Any ideas?

You say everything is updated, but I would make sure you're using drivers from the Intel site and not some re-packaged drivers from Lenovo. Also there was a windows update for 8 that fixed some peoples wifi issues, but I'm still on 7 so I can't really say for sure.

My first step is usually to fire up InSSIDer or something similar to get an idea of any possible wifi issues. It won't show you outside interference from microwaves and the such, but it will give you a good idea if you should try changing channels or something.

You can also try a cheap usb wifi adapter and see if you still have the issue. If you do, then it's either something crazy going on with windows, or some sort of interference.

I think that laptop comes with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN which is a lower end Intel single band card. Depending on where you are, 2.4G can be quite congested and almost unusable. Even without the issues you are having I would look into a dual band card.

If other devices aren't having issues, that doesn't mean it's not something going on with the router. They may just be handling it better or your location just stinks for some reason.

It's also possible that one of the antenna connectors came off of your wifi card. If it's easy to get to, it might be worth looking into.

If you've pissed someone off, they could be doing some sort of de-auth attack against you.

Let us know how it turns out.

-Sean

Had similar problem with y410p and w8.1. Latest driver from intel website appears to have fixed it for now... Just backing up what sean said about drivers. Apologies if you've already done this. x

I would check the wifi card physically. It won't void your warranty. There should be a panel on the underside you can take off to get to the card. Make sure its seated well in the slot and the antenna cords are hooked on real good.

Had similar problem with y410p and w8.1. Latest driver from intel website appears to have fixed it for now... Just backing up what sean said about drivers. Apologies if you've already done this. x

This!

UPDATE, problem solved: Seems to be working fine after manually downloading the latest WiFi driver directly from Intel's site as opposed to using the auto-update feature through Windows, which falsely stated it was updated when it wasn't (I realized it said the "latest" drivers were from late 2012).

This!

UPDATE, problem solved: Seems to be working fine after manually downloading the latest WiFi driver directly from Intel's site as opposed to using the auto-update feature through Windows, which falsely stated it was updated when it wasn't (I realized it said the "latest" drivers were from late 2012).

And Lenovo wanted you to waste time and money sending it in. Is this what Tech Support has come to in this yuppie day and age? Glad it's fixed. It's generally advised to stay away from Windows Update when it comes to resolving driver issues. I wont even risk it with my Nvidia GPU's even though they've gotten better and the drivers are no longer a year old and instead closer to just a few months.

Back