Lenovo Y400 - Feedback

Chelica

2[H]4U
All,

Been thinking about replacing my wife's desktop setup with a laptop. Lenovo has been a brand that I've been interested in for some time. There's currently a deal for their Y400 that knocks the price down all the way to $750 dollars. Before I click buy, any reason why I should look elsewhere? I've read good and bad reviews about the laptop and the company, specifically post sales service from Lenovo but I can't find anything else comparable for the price.

Requirements:
Price $750 or lower.
Must weight under 5lbs.
3hrs of battery life or more.
14" or less.
3rd gen i series CPU.
GT650M equivalent or better GPU.
8GB of DDR3
Wifi and Bluetooth

Thank you in advance.

For that price and size, with the graphics requirement, I think I'd recommend the Y-series, yeah. Nothing else is really coming to mind at any rate.

I'd personally probably pick up a T-series, but they don't have the graphics oomph that you're looking for.

Pretty much what EarthwormJim said -- the build quality of Thinkpads in the X, T, and W series is absolutely bloody fantastic. But then I don't use my laptops as primary gaming machines anymore, and even when I did I was content to play on the lowest resolutions and whatnot.

The screen resolution is fine. I had my wife test my 13" Macbook Pro and it's enough real estate for her.

Pulled the trigger after reviewing options once more. Reviewed the other Lenovos per suggestions and can't beat the price and feature of the Y400 deal above. Thanks all.

Got the laptop, looks great although Lenovo's QC department is something else of an issue. Now my question it, my wife might want to downgrade to Win 7. I noticed that this particular laptop does not have Win 7 drivers on their site. Does anyone have this laptop and can forward me some links on where I can DL the Win 7 drivers before I start piecing the drivers one by one, hehe.

The Y400 I am in the process of returning weighs as much as a cinder block. It's really not a 14" laptop, it's a 15" laptop with a 14" screen. Every time I try to get the hang of using it I just put it down after 5 minutes with regret.

The Y400 I am in the process of returning weighs as much as a cinder block. It's really not a 14" laptop, it's a 15" laptop with a 14" screen. Every time I try to get the hang of using it I just put it down after 5 minutes with regret.

Sorry to hear. But yes, I'm very close to returning. Fortunately I was able to find all of the Win 7 drivers and the laptop is much better this way. It is pretty heavy for what it is. I remember seeing them advertising this as 4.5lbs but their site states 5.5lbs...

Back