Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m 28" 4K Display Selling Now

I swear to god, another cheap ass TN Panel from a even cheaper company which nobody would buy from because Samsungs 28" 4K is 1. A LOT cheaper and 2. has even better specs (1ms, not 5ms).

I swear to god, another cheap ass TN Panel from a even cheaper company which nobody would buy from because Samsungs 28" 4K is 1. A LOT cheaper and 2. has even better specs (1ms, not 5ms).

The crappiest company? Are you joking or very ignorant? Lets see, Samsung has the crappiest stand of all new 4k monitors, no vesa mount, worst warranty. In my country Samsung is only 30€ cheaper than Lenovo or Asus.

I like the design of this monitor and especially its glossy edge-to-edge screen. I just wish someone would already review this model.

Excellent! Way to go Lenovo! Another SUB $1,000 4K screen. It is TN technology, but we have to do these things to reach a certain price point. flimsy stand? Who cares!

If you want a NICE IPS screen you can go spend 3K on one.

I think Lenovo has done a fine job! The more sub 1K screens we have the better options and choices we have!
4K has been out of reach for sometime now. We can save the extra money and use it toward something else... IDK maybe a pair of GK110 cards..

28" 4K TN Monitor 60HZ. W/ TWO SLI GTX 780 3GB video cards, = $1,600 Great picture quality.

28" 4K IPS Monitor 60HZ W/ nothing else included = $ 2,499 Excellent picture Quality.

Last edited:
Excellent! Way to go Lenovo! Another SUB $1,000 4K screen. It is TN technology, but we have to do these things to reach a certain price point. flimsy stand? Who cares!

If you want a NICE IPS screen you can go spend 3K on one.

I think Lenovo has done a fine job! The more sub 1K screens we have the better options and choices we have!
4K has been out of reach for sometime now. We can save the extra money and use it toward something else... IDK maybe a pair of GK110 cards..

28" 4K TN Monitor 60HZ. W/ TWO SLI GTX 780 3GB video cards, = $1,600 Great picture quality.

28" 4K IPS Monitor 60HZ W/ nothing else included = $ 2,499 Excellent picture Quality.

4K IPS will likely be sub $1000 soon, there's just not much demand for 4K in smaller sizes yet.

LG's new line of 4K TVs (all IPS) start at $1500 for 49", can be driven 60Hz via HDMI 2.0. Unfortunately the GPU tech isn't there yet to drive it.

Edit: What I am getting at is, the rapid price drops on 4K TVs still haven't hit the monitor sector. We are probably going to see some huge price reductions later this year/early next. I wouldn't be surprised to see these TNs down to $300 or so, with some IPS models maybe around $700-800.

Last edited:
TN panel or not. Ain't nobody gonna pay that much for a mouse-size 28 inch display.

This is an odd statement because it seems to include all 4K monitors whether they are TN or not provided that they are relatively small.

I was under the impression that the Dell UP2414Q was selling fairly well even though its a small ~24" model and cost a bit more then the Lenovo Pro2840m. The cheapest I've seen the UP2414Q was about ~$850 new.

I would have been happy to buy the UP2414Q if it had been 28" or larger for that given price point,.....and SST at 60Hz,.....

Just got this monitor. The color accuracy is pretty good as long as you sit right in front of the monitor and dont look at it from an angle - a slightest vertical angle will result in dramatic color shift. Even looking from the best position possible you will notice a slight color difference between the upper and bottom of the monitor. The glossy screen will make colors pop and there is no blurry whites like in Dell's monitors.

Input lag is somewhat same or a little greater than in U2711. I just dloaded the newest nvidia drivers and the lag seems to be reduced now. Maybe Im imagining/getting used to it.

Games look incredible. I tested Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins and Civ5 max setting without AA and they all ran smoothly 60fps with my gtx780.

The stand is pretty tight and plastic but does its job. The screen glass is from edge to edge just like in phones which makes cleaning it a lot easier and looks sharp.

lGLAGSz.jpg

E:
I just noticed a low pitch whine from the back of the monitor :( nothing serious though, its hardly noticeable to the front.

Finnish, Can you give us some pics of the front of the screen on your desk?
And I don't see a vesa mount for this monitor in the specs is that correct?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Nice,.....

Good to hear someone with firsthand experience with the Lenovo Pro2840m.

You ordered directly From Lenovo I take it?

How long after your order was placed it it ship and how long after that did you receive it?

Finnish, Can you give us some pics of the front of the screen on your desk?
And I don't see a vesa mount for this monitor in the specs is that correct?
Thanks.

The vesa 100x100 is hidden behind the arm mount. I took pics earlier this morning but it seems something is not right with my camera on the phone. These are the best I got:

y70qT5u.jpg

mvoako1.jpg

As you can see the screen is edge-to-edge. I really like this design and have never seen it used in any other monitor. The screen is now closer to your eyes - not beneath bezels. I have to say when turned off its quite reflective as you can see but when powered you barely notice it and the room Im using the monitor is really bright.

Nice,.....

Good to hear someone with firsthand experience with the Lenovo Pro2840m.

You ordered directly From Lenovo I take it?

How long after your order was placed it it ship and how long after that did you receive it?

I ordered it from a finnish vendor called Jimms.fi. They were supposed to have them almost one month ago but the delivery got delayed many times. They still got 6 in stock:
http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/1282

A few better pics although they all look crap :rolleyes:

Dragon Age from an extreme angle
NXhaQKl.jpg

Civ5
KIPjqSR.jpg

Civ5 from further
9vJ7dS8.jpg

Desktop Win7:
Uf0bAHZ.jpg

Finnish,

Vesa mount on this is a real plus. I have a Monoprice 2560x1440 monitor now with the edge to edge glass screen and really like it as it gives more "pop" than a regular matte screen imho. So I might just try one of these out now since it seems to be the only current 4k monitor with a glass screen. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
Finnish,

Since you are coming from a U2711, how is the difference in color quality between the two? I currently have the U2711 and I have been tempted to upgrade to the 28" 4K TN monitors. I play games, but I also view blu-ray movies and photos. So I would like to have an all purpose monitor.

Also is the physical size of the monitor only 1-inch larger versus the U2711 or much larger?

Finnish,

Since you are coming from a U2711, how is the difference in color quality between the two? I currently have the U2711 and I have been tempted to upgrade to the 28" 4K TN monitors. I play games, but I also view blu-ray movies and photos. So I would like to have an all purpose monitor.

Also is the physical size of the monitor only 1-inch larger versus the U2711 or much larger?

I think you should try and see it in person if possible before purchasing but I would guess these new tn 4k monitors wouldnt satisfy you. For me I really need the pixels for my work and that is how I justify having this monitor. Its my second day using it and Im starting to really notice the difference in color accuracy compared to U2711. So yeah, if you can manage with your ips 1440p and dont really have any honest reason to get 4k, I would go as far as to say it would actually be a downgrade to switch from 1440p ips to 4k tn. Maybe, just maybe, if you got one of these purely for gaming and kept ur U2711 on a side I would see some idea in that as games look pretty incredible in 4k.

They are about the same size screen surface wise but pro2840m is probably half as thick and consumes maybe a third of power or less. I think those are also important things to take into account when making a decision.

Thanks Finnish for your input. Unfortunately my desk is able to hold only one monitor and the U2711 has been acting up since February of this year. Several times I thought the monitor died but it's still alive. Also, I am pretty particular in quality in terms of color reproduction, etc.

We have a Best Buy here that has the Samsung 28" monitor but they haven't put up a demo yet. So once that's set-up I can stare at it and see if I want to go to TN. I never had a TN panel except for work, and I had to get an IPS because of the low quality.

Thanks again.

I think you should try and see it in person if possible before purchasing but I would guess these new tn 4k monitors wouldnt satisfy you. For me I really need the pixels for my work and that is how I justify having this monitor. Its my second day using it and Im starting to really notice the difference in color accuracy compared to U2711. So yeah, if you can manage with your ips 1440p and dont really have any honest reason to get 4k, I would go as far as to say it would actually be a downgrade to switch from 1440p ips to 4k tn. Maybe, just maybe, if you got one of these purely for gaming and kept ur U2711 on a side I would see some idea in that as games look pretty incredible in 4k.

They are about the same size screen surface wise but pro2840m is probably half as thick and consumes maybe a third of power or less. I think those are also important things to take into account when making a decision.

Have you been able to compare a 1440 IPS along side your Lenovo 4kTN?

Anymore thoughts on the monitor since you've had it for another week?

Have you been able to compare a 1440 IPS along side your Lenovo 4kTN?

Anymore thoughts on the monitor since you've had it for another week?

Its definitely hard coming from 1440p ips. As I mentioned before, 28 is big enough screen that even when viewed from the perfect angle there are noticeable color shifts on upper and lower part of the monitor compared to the middle. If youre even a little bit pickier or have gotten used to good colors I wouldnt recommend getting any of these 4K tn monitors unless you need the resolution or get one for gaming. I have to say though, now that Ive calibrated the monitor its not too bad, or Im just getting used to it and beginning to forget how ips feels like :D

What sets this Lenovo apart from the other new 4k tn monitors is the glossy glass panel which Im sure divides opinions and Im not sure what to think about it yet ether. On the other hand bright colors pop and in dimm lighting everything looks crystal clear but when its bright you can probably use it as a mirror (everything still pretty clear though), and blacks are a bit washed out.

I've found the displays with glass, to have more pop to them so worth a try for me. And I don't have a window behind me so no reflection issues either.

Guess I'll have to wait to order this baby stateside and then see what I think in a side by side with my Monoprice 2560x1440 IPS monitor. www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

The link you provided for buying this monitor only ships within Mainland Finland.:(

Thanks again for giving us your impressions.

Just received this monitor. Here are some notes:

1) It does whine a little. It's the built-in usb hub whining. It stops, when you plug any usb device up. So not a real issue.
2) It _doesn't_ come with a mini Displayport. Just HDMI, DP (and USB and SuperSpeed USB for hubs). DP cable works perfectly, but I had a hard time finding a proper miniDP cable to connect to my Mac Pro (late 2013). Original Apple's Thunderbolt cable doesn't work, beware.
3) Packaging, build quality, and even a picture quality* are better than Samsung's 28" UHD affair. VESA, usb hub and speakers^ are great additions.

* Samsung has settings for picture sharpness. It's an awful picture-distorting feature, I couldn't figure out which settings are the best, since I used to pixel-to-pixel picture of Apple's Cinemas (those have no settings at all). I guess this is borrowed from TV's, but it is totally unwelcomed on a desktop monitor. Another thing is HDMI picture quality. Unlike Lenovo, Samsung somehow distorts incoming 4K HDMI signal, resulting in a jpg-like artifacts. You shouldn't use HDMI 1.4 interface with UHD monitors anyway, but still not cool.

^ My Mac Pro always trying to redirect audio to the monitor via Mini Displayport. Might be a software issue, but I'm glad this monitor has speakers (which are better than built-in Mac Pro's anyway). It also has a 3,5 mm output and a very handy dedicated volume up/down buttons on the right side. Much better than Samsung's inconveniently joystick-accessed menu in this case.

Just received this monitor. Here are some notes:

1) It does whine a little. It's the built-in usb hub whining. It stops, when you plug any usb device up. So not a real issue.

Haha, had exact same problem, whenever I wasnt moving the mouse it whined and it annoyed me till the point I was about to send the monitor back UNTIL I realized the whine comes from the built in speakers. So just mute the monitor from the volume buttons on the right side :D

I am surprized and somewhat glad you found Lenovos picture quality better than D590's. As I havent been able to compare my Lenovo to any other 4k tn monitors I was kind of doubting if I made the right choice. Did you notice any difference in input lag compared to D590? There are now at least 2 people on finnish forums that are complaining about it. I find the lag on my monitor reasonable and not bothering me. I even tried measuring it and got about 30-50ms

Compared to U2711:
https://imgur.com/a/uqIXB

it. I find the lag on my monitor reasonable and not bothering me. I even tried measuring it and got about 30-50ms

Compared to U2711:
https://imgur.com/a/uqIXB

You have to disable Aero and use the .exe version instead of the browser version to make the flash based timer even remotely accurate.

Nice gray blacks on the Lenovo in your pictures. Edge to edge glass makes blacks look gray and is extremely reflective (coating comparisons), buyers be warned.

Haha, had exact same problem, whenever I wasnt moving the mouse it whined and it annoyed me till the point I was about to send the monitor back UNTIL I realized the whine comes from the built in speakers. So just mute the monitor from the volume buttons on the right side :D

Speakers are silent, but usb hub is the one to blame in my case. It even changes its pitch when I switch USB input in monitor's settings. But, as I said, as soon as you hook up any usb device — whining stops.

I am surprized and somewhat glad you found Lenovos picture quality better than D590's. As I havent been able to compare my Lenovo to any other 4k tn monitors I was kind of doubting if I made the right choice.

Well, sharpness settings and resulting picture distortion are annoying on D590. Regarding the output quality of the panel itself, I'm pretty sure there's no difference. But! I noticed that Lenovo is differently factory-calibrated. Compared to default colours on D590, Pro2840 has deeper shadows, a bit more saturated colours. I know that, because I calibrated D590 myself, and that profile is almost completely off on Pro2840 — too dark, too vivid.

Did you notice any difference in input lag compared to D590?

It's hard to say. There is definitely a lag caused by the wireless mouse I have. Although in tests with wired mouse there's a hardly noticeable lag as well, but I'm not sure. That's on my Mac. On my pc, though, I haven't noticed any lag at all. Go figure.

UPD. After using this monitor for a while I can confirm that there's a lag caused by the monitor, at least via DP-to-miniDP cable. On my PC, connected via DP-to-DP cable, as I mentioned, the lag is less obvious.

Regarding blacks. Compared to D590 I wouldn't say there's a huge difference. Glossy screen contributes some reflections, depending on the environment, of course, but that's it. I have no windows behind by back, so blacks I see are pretty deep.

Last edited:

LOL! Lenovo is the number one PC seller in the US. Lenovo has better quality than any PC company out now, and i sell them, i would know.

So how does vendor reputation magically improve used sub-par panel in it? Pixie dust in each pixel carefully glued in with careful handwork in factory?

Back