Lenovo ThinkVision P40w-20 - 40" UltraWide (Curved) 5120x2160 IPS at 75hz

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
Can't believe I missed this, seems to be the first 5K ultrawide with a refresh rate higher than 60hz!

Still not the ideal minimum of 100hz, but baby steps are better than nothing. Meant to be available this month.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/l...irst-intel-amt-capable-thunderbolt-4-monitor/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7801...ide-21-9-monitor-with-75hz-refresh/index.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/lenovo-p40w-20-ultrawide-curved-monitor

https://videocardz.com/press-releas...-5k-75hz-monitor-with-thunderbolt-4-connector

1624759550191.png

Last edited:
I believe the Dell U4021QW can also run at 75Hz (it's the same panel, just OC'd in the Lenovo variant).

I believe the Dell U4021QW can also run at 75Hz (it's the same panel, just OC'd in the Lenovo variant).

Interesting....no mention of capable refresh rates on the product page though. I assume you need to manually override the default refresh rate then.

The last test I saw showed that it was frameskipping above 60Hz.

Have you seen any reports of 75Hz without frame skipping? If the monitor takes a 75Hz input but only runs the panel at 60Hz then it's no better than a 60Hz monitor.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any higher refresh rate options yet. We have all sorts of ultrawides with high refresh now 3840x1600, 5120x1440, 2560x1080, I know this is a lot of pixels in comparison, but still you'd think with 8K coming and 4K @144 that this would be doable at least to 100-120Hz

Had this monitor since the 4th Nov and thought I'd post some thoughts. I'm using it with a Windows laptop and a Windows desktop. Laptop plugged in via TB4 and the desktop using DP and USB3.2. The display itself is lovely and I'm very happy with the extra real estate. I came from a 3440x1440 Samsung LC34971 and I'm running 5k2k with no scaling. My Lenovo T14s Gen 2 connects at 75Hz over TB4.

One of the main reasons I waited for this monitor was the built in KVM but the implementation is as dire as any other KVM I've used. Lenovo advertise the fact that you can use the keyboard or mouse to switch inputs but this isn't tied to the video inputs, only USB. So to switch between machines I double click the shift key which swaps USB and then you have to push 3 buttons to swtich video inputs. They've missed a trick in being able to associate the video inputs with the USB.

Secondly, the latency on the OSD is awful. When you switch USB inputs up pops a window to show you which input has been selected but the monitor doesn't accept any further button presses until the popup disappears. The video switching has the same latency and where this really fails is when you are dual booting a machine. My desktop is setup as Windows as the main OS and then I run Rocky Linux as a second OS. I tried rebooting from Windows so that I can switch to Rocky and as the desktop resets, the monitor switches to the TB4 input. By the time you've selected the correct video input and swapped USB again, you've missed the entry point into your BIOS or boot select. The only way I could boot into Rocky was to unplug the TB4 input which is a total fail on Lenovo's part.

So great screen but awful KVM.

You must have awesome eyesight if you're using this without scaling. It's the same pixel density as a 32" 4K 16:9, and I use at least 150% on those. To avoid eye fatigue I often use 165%.

The issue I have with these 40" 5K 21:9 is why not go with a 43" 4K 16:9 instead. Same width, more height, so more real estate. Only 125% scaling needed on those for me.

You must have awesome eyesight if you're using this without scaling. It's the same pixel density as a 32" 4K 16:9, and I use at least 150% on those. To avoid eye fatigue I often use 165%.

The issue I have with these 40" 5K 21:9 is why not go with a 43" 4K 16:9 instead. Same width, more height, so more real estate. Only 125% scaling needed on those for me.
But where to find the good RGB 43"? all of them are BGR, old IPS panel tech, so you have BIG screen but low quality , low tex clarity. Nothing better vs. 48" oled wit the poor text clarity. Maybe 42" oled 4K and pixel density will be better, or 43qn90a if the IPS panel with the RGB subpixel structure...

But where to find the good RGB 43"? all of them are BGR, old IPS panel tech, so you have BIG screen but low quality , low tex clarity. Nothing better vs. 48" oled wit the poor text clarity. Maybe 42" oled 4K and pixel density will be better, or 43qn90a if the IPS panel with the RGB subpixel structure...

BGR is not a problem for text quality, and ClearType works fine with BGR. There are some 43" monitors that have issues with text, but that has nothing to do with BGR. There are 43" monitors with BGR IPS panels that display text very well. For example, the HP Z43.

The 40" monitors also don't have panels with fancy features, so not sure what the advantage is compared to good 43" monitors.

The last test I saw showed that it was frameskipping above 60Hz.

Have you seen any reports of 75Hz without frame skipping? If the monitor takes a 75Hz input but only runs the panel at 60Hz then it's no better than a 60Hz monitor.
You are not wrong, I'm experiencing stuttering at 75hz and it's less noticeable at 60hz. Extremely disappointed being that it's marketed as a 75hz capable screen in brochures.

I'm connecting it to a Legion 7i with an RTX 3070 using the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 rated cable included. I'm also experiencing audio sync issues. I cannot get 4k video to play clearly without blur/ghosting. I've used DDU to remove all traces of Nvidia drivers and reinstall with no success. I've also confirmed that the monitor is running on the External card by turning off Hybrid mode on the Legion 7i. In addition, I switched to Discrete graphics in the BIOS, no luck at all. Extremely disappointed. I'm calling Lenovo tomorrow to see what my options are.

Last edited:
I guess the LG version is still delayed? Iminterested in a 40UW as a work monitor...

Back