Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server (i3-4150 8GB) $199 Adorama@eBay

lifanus

Gawd
Adorama@eBay Link 217 sold in 24 hours

Great little machine for light duty use :)

Processor CPU Type: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5 GHz
Cache Memory: 3MB
Chipset: Intel C226 Platform Controller Hub (PCH)
Memory Installed Memory Size: 8GB
Memory Type: UDIMM DDR3-1600 ECC
MAX Memory Capacity: 32GB
Storage Not installed (16TB max)
Operating System No
Power Supply 280W 85% Fixed
Features RAID Controller: RAID 100
Disk Bays: 3x 3.5" DC
Storage: Open
Optical: HH DVD+/-RW
Add-on NIC: None
Add-on Ports: None
System Management: ISM
Dimensions 14.76 x 6.89 x 16.97"
Weight 28.66 lbs

s-l500.jpg

Powerful, Reliable and Unmatched Value

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 single-socket 4U tower server delivers 24x7 performance, robust data integrity, maximum expandability and easy management, at a desktop price. Enjoy total peace of mind in growing your business.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Platform
Enterprise-Class Tower Server
Easy to Own & Extremely Affordable
Best Choice if Moving from a Desktop Environment

A Future-Proof Server
The ThinkServer TS140 is easy to own with appealing affordability and upgradeability. You can add up to 16TB of storage, up to 32GB of memory, and have 4 PCI/PCIe slots, so you can grow the TS140 as your needs dictate.

Powerful, Stable, and Secure
The ThinkServer TS140 is a powerful, feature-rich yet affordable server, perfect for retail, branch office or front office use.

The ThinkServer TS140 is a powerful, feature-rich yet affordable server, perfect for retail, branch office or front office use.
Highly affordable, yet enterprise-tough. TS140 pays you back with reliable, feature-rich server computing at a desktop price.
Maximize uptime with true server-class features like ECC memory, enterprise-class hard drives, and built-in support for up to RAID 5.

Whisper-Quiet
At 26 decibels, the acoustics of the TS140 are 40 percent quieter than its predecessor and impressively quiet for any server. That's less noise than you'll find in a typical library. Plus, it's ENERGY STAR-certified, so it's easy on the environment and easy on your power bills.

Highly Flexible I/O
ThinkServer TS140 is built to stay connected. It features a serial port, a VGA monitor connector, four USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, PCIe slots, and an integrated gigabit Ethernet, so it doesn't take up a PCI slot. This allows plenty of additional slots if you need more bandwidth or want to add other adapters.

Easy Access Side-Entry Cover
The tool-less side-entry cover further enhances the simplicity of the TS140 design by allowing users to easily access select components, like hard disk drives and memory, for quick repairs or upgrades, without the need for external service or support.

I knew something like this would happen after I just ordered the TS140 with Xeon E3-1226 v3 from Newegg's ebay listing for $299.99.

Eh, I wanted the Xeon instead of the i3 anyhow for an ESXi box. Guess I really don't have regrets although this i3 has 8GB ECC RAM instead of the 4GB with the Xeon.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had a TS140 for over a year now, one with the Xeon 1246v3, and it has been phenomenal. It's been my Plex server, as well as running a couple Usenet web apps. Never a hiccup or peep from it. Silent as far as I'm concerned and rock solid stability.

An upgrade to the e3-1246v3 is on my list if I can find a good price since the e3-1226v3 doesn't have hyperthreading.

I have an E3-1240v3 & 32GB ecc udimm sitting in a desktop board. Looks like this has 2 pci-e x16 slots in x16/x4 which should be OK for me. If I drop in a PCI video card, does anyone know if I can designate this as the "primary" video? I'd like to pass the 2 pci-e x16 video cards to two vm guests. My current desktop board will work with a PCI video card, but only has selections of "IGD/PCIE" as "primary video" so as soon as I put a pci-e card in any slot, that takes over as primary so I can't pass it to a guest & still have a console.

Also: Is the power supply standard or proprietary? I have an 800W I'd move into this.

Last edited:
I've had my TS140 for a couple of years going strong (usenet/plex/backup server)

My HDD's outgrew that little case though

There are always a few Dell T1600 first generation E3 1245 workstations on eBay. I scored one with 8GB ECC (and a 500GB HDD which I will toss) for $135 + $21.47 S&H. The price/value of these is beyond ridiculous -- the CPU compares well to a i5 7400 and you get a chassis, motherboard, memory and a relatively weak PSU as well. You might want to replace the PSU if you want a stronger GPU. It's standard ATX.

Also, sometimes you can find an E3 1270 as well for even more speed -- however, those don't have iGPU which was mandatory for me as I am using the iGPU for Linux and an RX 460 bypassed to a Windows WM.

Last edited:
Back