Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 5U Tower Server, Intel Xeon E3, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD

How unhealthy! Snack on berries, fruits, or vegetables instead.

Not that I see what's so entertaining anyway. This is a fairly civil discussion.

I did. You didn't list any prices specifically nor any data sources. I did it as further clarification to my post and also to yours. Hence I never quoted you specifically within the post.

And either way you cannot assume your edits will always be read. before another person finishes typing replies. It's better to research what you post before you post, not after.

Blah blah. It is unlikely that DDR3 would have dropped hence why I didn't look at first. DDR4 is being pushed now and at reasonable prices compared to 2-3 months ago so by basic economics it is unlikely that DRR3 would have actually dropped since we are now into the transition of DDR4. It is more likely than not that DDR3 would have gone up and will still go up.

sigh typeO I am in total agreement

FYI stolemyowncar, it maybe civil but petty.

What's petty, exactly? Your insistence on continuing this discussion? A discussion is a two party effort. You cannot claim it to be petty while yourself freely partaking in the exchange.

Furthermore you seem to take umbrage fairly easily because none of my posts were meant to do anything but provide further information...

I am adding you to the blacklist as it has become apparent that giving you information seemingly serves to cause you some offense. Any further discussions between us are obviously going to come to this point.

Mines arrives today. Looking forward to it. I did order 2 x HGST 6TB's to shove in it but they won't be here until tomorrow. I do need to figure out what I'm going to do for RAM. Probably not keeping what's in it.

Mines arrives today. Looking forward to it. I did order 2 x HGST 6TB's to shove in it but they won't be here until tomorrow. I do need to figure out what I'm going to do for RAM. Probably not keeping what's in it.

does the MB support 6TB drives? They advertised a certain max storage and it was way less then 30 TB

does the MB support 6TB drives? They advertised a certain max storage and it was way less then 30 TB

Yup it runs off of a c226 chipset. I likes my HGST 6 tb just fine :)

Mental note, you can not put these to sleep, but hey it only sucks 35 watts stock at idle.

Mine will be here today....still no idea what Ill use it for...:)

Not sure if troll or not

You can not put "the server" to sleep. "the server" idles at 35 watts.

Not sure if troll or not

You can not put "the server" to sleep. "the server" idles at 35 watts.

how you phrased it sounded like the 6 TB drive used 35 watts so that's why i was like wtf??? If the whole system uses 35 watts at idle that's crazy low and really sweet. I am digging this as a general server/tinker machine.

anyone know the pin layout of the MB? The manual doesn't state the layout.

I temporarily pulled the MB and CPU out to put in my NORCO 4224 case and there is no info in the manual for what pins are for what. I need to be able to connect the power switch, reset switch, and LEDs.

I don't want to mess something up. Are these pin layouts universal or does it depend?

anyone know the pin layout of the MB? The manual doesn't state the layout.

I temporarily pulled the MB and CPU out to put in my NORCO 4224 case and there is no info in the manual for what pins are for what. I need to be able to connect the power switch, reset switch, and LEDs.

I don't want to mess something up. Are these pin layouts universal or does it depend?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkC...-panels-power-audio-and-USB-pinout/m-p/190651

Been the same for years. And yes mine is in a new case and i used this pinout. I also printed it out and slapped it on the side since its so hard to find.

Since it's so easy right now to go from an old Win 7 key to Windows 10, I thought about getting this to upgrade my aging HTPC, but can't get over the ECC RAM requirement. Already have 8GB of perfectly good RAM to use. Great deal for those with the right RAM kits. Oh well, I have a year.

Got one. Perfect for my Plex server I've been planning along with the NAS I am currently building. Too bad I had to pay $20 in tax :/ Nonetheless, good deal!

Since it's so easy right now to go from an old Win 7 key to Windows 10, I thought about getting this to upgrade my aging HTPC, but can't get over the ECC RAM requirement. Already have 8GB of perfectly good RAM to use. Great deal for those with the right RAM kits. Oh well, I have a year.

don't upgrade. If you upgrade it kills your key and if you ever change a piece of "major hardware" your key is dead and you have to go and buy win 10

so:
if you upgrade MB key=dead
no moving key
MB dies? better find an exact match or dead key

don't upgrade. If you upgrade it kills your key and if you ever change a piece of "major hardware" your key is dead and you have to go and buy win 10

so:
if you upgrade MB key=dead
no moving key
MB dies? better find an exact match or dead key

If you just call MS they re-up the key on new hardware if you say, 'i upgraded'?

If you just call MS they re-up the key on new hardware if you say, 'i upgraded'?

not according to MS.

Ian Moulster, Windows product manager, said:
"My understanding is it's licensed to the device and not to you, so it's specific to the device and you wouldn't be able to use it elsewhere."

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-will-microsoft-charge-you-if-you-need-to-reinstall/

This was the case with OEM keys not retail and he is claiming retail keys fall under this too, which is utter bullshit.

fyi...

first post ebay link has...

Server
Gigabit LAN
no OS
Monitor : none.

that tells me most likely no win7 key on the case either... so doubtful it is there..

can't get over the ECC RAM requirement. Already have 8GB of perfectly good RAM to use. Great deal for those with the right RAM kits. Oh well, I have a year.

What ECC RAM requirement? These run perfectly fine with non-ECC RAM. Many many many people on other sites (like SD) will confirm that.

What ECC RAM requirement? These run perfectly fine with non-ECC RAM. Many many many people on other sites (like SD) will confirm that.

It is odd because the documentation leads you to believe it requires and only can use UDIMM only and not SDRAM

Ordered mine on Monday afternoon, received it today. Just installed Ubuntu for grins, no issues. Seller shipped super fast, server came in the Lenovo box.

I bought one of these a month ago to replace an old pc in the lobby of my uncles small motel. Computer stays on 24/7 and wanted to get something power efficient and reliable for the motel, and also had to be within a small budget. Replaced an old P4 era pc that the guests kept complaining about (for good reason :p)

Replaced the 4gb stick with a cheap 2x4gb 1333mhz kit. 4gb probably would have been enough but just wanted to make sure. Works perfect for what he needs.

*Best part is because it comes without an os I installed Linux Mint. My uncle wanted windows but I told him to give linux a try before buying windows and see how people like it. Not a single problem so far, I'm sure most of the guests don't even notice a difference. Its almost exclusively used for web browsing/email, so I didn't expect any issues.

Last edited:

You can use non-ECC RAM in this without a problem.

This was temporarily sold out over the past 48 hours but its back again. Unfortunately at the 359 price.

Would something like this be better then building my own? Was looking at putting together a home server that will be used to run Hyper-V with a few virtual machines on it including domain controller, plex server, and tor among other things.

I have a Athlon FX 8350 I was going to use for CPU and an asus desktop mobo. But still need to buy a case and ram for it so wondering if maybe this might be a better way to go.

Back