Lenovo Teases Augmented Reality Headset for Star Wars Games

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Lenovo and Lucasfilm have teased a headset that uses your smartphone to bring Star Wars-related games to life: some of these experiences will include holochess, a real-time ground battle game, and Jedi Challenges, which will allow you to wield a lightsaber. Hopefully, this turns out better than Kinect Star Wars.

2. percydaman

percydaman Limp Gawd

So now we would need to buy another headset to play some specific games? Why can't they just partner up with somebody already making them?

3. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

AR is SOOOO much more than gaming, I don't know why these companies keep trying to make AR gaming happen! ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN because the uses for AR are FAR more useful and have ZERO to do with gaming. Imagine a heads up display for surgeons, or for drivers (commerical or personal)...Imagine walking through a store and getting specifications on the gizmo you are looking at, or reviews...or being able to walk up to a mirror and virtually trying on the clothes you are considering. Imagine looking at a vacant lot and seeing your dream home...or walking through your existing home and seeing the new cabinets or furniture you are considering buying.

I love games, and I love gaming in VR...but AR gaming seems incredibly stupid, and far too dependent on having EXACTLY the type of room the game developer intends for their games...and the other uses are way more exciting. I hope developers realize this sooner rather than later. AR for games is a DEAD END!