Lenovo Slapped With Lawsuit Over Superfish

HardOCP News

[H] News
Superfish, meet super lawsuit. It looks like Lenovo went from Superfish to Superfuc....nevermind, too easy. :D Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

Lenovo admitted to pre-loading the Superfish adware on some consumer PCs, and unhappy customers are now dragging the company to court on the matter. A proposed class-action suit was filed late last week against Lenovo and Superfish, which charges both companies with “fraudulent” business practices and of making Lenovo PCs vulnerable to malware and malicious attacks by pre-loading the adware.

Well let's be honest, it's not unhappy customers, it's lawyers who see something happen to someone else and see a payday.

It's the modern tech equivilent of ambulance chasing.

My wishful thinking is that both o f these companies get absolutely crushed financially while permanently damaging their reputation beyond repair.

I wonder how much money the adware company paid Lenovo to install their crap. Also wondering how much the lawsuit will cost them. Any takers?

Typical would be a lady slip and fall at a laundromat and claiming back injury!

Lenovo needs to bleed money for what they did!

I definitely agree with the monetary punishment but more importantly (IMO) is doing permanent damage to Lenovo's public image. Consumers and businesses need to be made aware of this and blacklist them.

Gosh I would have loved to been a part of that suit n tie meeting where this got greenlit. I mean just imagine what the folks at the round table must have been saying and how on earth they thought this would be a good idea.

Consumers would be safer buying a signature edition laptop/computer from a reputable company, or just buy an Apple laptop/computer, atleast Apple doesn't need to install crapware to make a profit.

I definitely agree with the monetary punishment but more importantly (IMO) is doing permanent damage to Lenovo's public image. Consumers and businesses need to be made aware of this and blacklist them.

Look at what happened to Nvidia with their 970 3.5GB fiasco. Both Lenovo and Nvidia are in this situation because of greed. If companies were people then we'd cut off their heads and stick them on spikes to warn other companies not to fuck with their consumer. You do that by boycotting their products and hitting them where it really hurts. In their pockets. Lawsuit ain't gonna do that, because in 10 years when the lawsuit is finished they'll ask people if they remember owning this product to pull out their receipt and to mail it to them for $5.

Best thing to do is prevent anyone from buying this shit to begin with. But someone is going to chime in and say how terrible AMD drivers are or how great Lenovo's build quality is. Don't defend a company cause if given the opportunity they'll suck everything your worth. And anyway, this Lenovo business is due to all the crap everyone pre-installs on your laptops, which is a nasty trend that needs to die.

Also the severity of what Lenovo did is far beyond what the news is reporting. People are too busy on the idea of ad replacement that they don't realize that this compromises all Lenovo machines and probably everyone else's. They basically gave away SSL encryption certificates that allows anyone to do anything on your machine. The idiots also gave away the key as well, so anyone can compromise your machine.

At least in this thread people seem to get the concept of punishing companies that fuck around like this.

Well, it's not apple or google. And it's a pretty shady thng as well. Hell, I'm a fan of Lenovo's laptop line, and I think this is pretty well deserved. Just wish it didn't profit lawyers so much more than the people infected.

If Lenovo had buried the Superfishy thing in its legal agreements someplace, they might have more of a case to make in court. It'd make them more like Google where they're guilty of doing a ton of nefarious things, but because they admitted to it in very plain language (which in Google's case allows them a lot of flexibility because they don't use very specific legalese in their user agreements for that reason) it largely protects them from lawsuits. If other companies wanna get in on monetizing their users through spying like Facebook and Google, they need to make sure they have their legal ducks lined up in a row.

just one more reason to completely nuke any factory windows installation and do a clean install before doing anything that would compromise any of your personal info. i'll never trust ANY OEM windows installation 100%.

sigh... i'm kind of caught in a pickle here. I have always liked (maybe even loved) the build quality of the thinkpad laptops so I have a new Lenovo laptop on order. Right now, I'm not sure how I feel about this situation. I saw the list of laptops that lenovo preloaded the superfish adware on and the laptop that i ordered isn't included. nevertheless, it's making me re-think of whether i still want to deal with a company that install adware on their products.

Back