Lenovo posts X220 specs, IPS display is an option

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/07/lenovo-posts-thinkpad-x220-specs-online-includes-ips-display-s/

X220 specs posted with an IPS display is an option. Given the traditionally low quality of Lenovo laptop displays, I am thrilled. Their displays are usually the big strike I have against them, as I otherwise like the chassis and keyboard quality. I wonder how much the upgrade will cost. It's going to have to be much lower than the ~$500 that HP charges on their Elitebooks.

It is also 3lbs and has awesome battery life even without the external "slice" upgrade. The only downside some people might see is the Sandy Bridge IGP, but given the resolution of the display I think it's fine, enough to play Starcraft 2, Source games, even Dead Space if Youtube videos of people playing that game on their Macbook Airs are to be taken into account.

In conclusion: Sexy sexy sexy :D

Last edited:
1366x768... dammit. :(

(I really really hate that resolution.)

Decent little machine I suppose, but that resolution is a big huge brick wall to me. I simply won't buy a laptop anytime soon that has 16:9, can't tolerate it... just one of my ultra-pet-peeves that I'll never get over I guess.

Pure Intel goodness, however, so that's a bonus. :D

Sweet! Been awhile since they offered flexview (IPS) 16:9 can DIF though. Whoever thought this a good idea in a laptop used for pages and text should be shot.

I have a x200t which has IPS but most tablets do or VA since you view them at all sorts of angles.

3.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Been awhile since they offered flexview (IPS) 16:9 can DIF though. Whoever thought this a good idea in a laptop used for pages and text should be shot.

Yeah, 16:9 in a display so small is a drag. The vertical space of 16:10 is really useful. Either way, I hope that IPS finds its way into more and more notebooks. Given that IPS displays are being produced in much larger quantities than they used to be and that they are so widely used in things like the iPad, hopefully it gets into portable devices with keyboards and trackpads as well. :)

Would buy one today if I didn't already have a X200 as well. Just bought a new 9 cell battery for it and was about to order a IPS display for it (you can buy them separately), but I might just reconsider.

I love the S-IPS on my T60, but I'm moving on to bigger and better things. (for sale, inquire within)

:D

Seriously though, IPS + Thinkpad = drool

Would buy one today if I didn't already have a X200 as well. Just bought a new 9 cell battery for it and was about to order a IPS display for it (you can buy them separately), but I might just reconsider.

I'm still planning to pick up a HV121WX4-120, or at the very least a HV121WX4-110

I'm still planning to pick up a HV121WX4-120, or at the very least a HV121WX4-110
I was going to get the 120 myself. Matte > glossy, so I ruled the 110 out. They're only ~$70 before shipping, so I can't really decide. I would really love to trade it for a tablet too (though only one with a proper pen digitizer option).

Looks sick. I own an x201 and its the best laptop i ever had. Don't plan on upgrading anytime soon but this looks awesome.

Nice video...

The x220 hinges appear to be a lot wider than the x200/x201 ones, probably so it can stay shut without latch.

Nice adding a display port to act as a HTPC

Incredible battery life.

This thing should sell very well and with IPS screen will seal the deal for many since good laptop screens are so very hard to find.

May have to ebay my x200t just for display port depending how bright screen is. Needs at least 300nit to be truly outdoor viewable.

Just looking at size of lower and upper bezel is aggravating when it's obvious they could have accommodated a 16:10 quite easily tho.

Yeah, VGA only was always a disappointment for me. I just bought a x120e, but I haven't even opened the box, so it's for sale with this announcement. I wonder how much one with the IPS display and the i7 is going to run though. Going to miss the proper 16:10 resolution too (as it isn't an upgrade at all...pixel count is nearly identical).

I guess starting retail will be $1200 with IPS since non IPS above is $1000 but with discounts who knows.I doubt this forum pays retail. Lenovo regularly has 25-40% off thinkpads....

This looks fantastic. The Intel HD graphics it comes with -- those are different/better for the SB processor than they were for the older generation iCore processors right? Should be plenty good enough for some basic gaming, and wow... just beautiful. I'll be buying a laptop sometime between May and September and hopefully there will be coupons for this one available then!

Anyone knows if there will be an X320 version with similar components and 13+" panel? Would be perfect with an IPS and 16:10 resolution

There is going to be a 13.3 panel x series model called the X1.
I saw it in Lenovo's summer roadmap docs.
release is in august I think.
Little info is out on this, and I am not sure if there will be an IPS option. i hope so.

Hmm, just checked the Lenovo spreadsheet to see if I could confirm if the X1 will have IPS.
The screen is listed as Premium HD. When I do a search on lenovo premium hd, the only thing that comes back is listings referring to the X220 1366x768 IPS panel.
So I am cautiously optimistic that the X1 will have an IPS screen. Could be Lenovos attempt at a MBP killer. Still crappy Intel 3000 graphics though. At least it will be SB.

Hmm, just checked the Lenovo spreadsheet to see if I could confirm if the X1 will have IPS.
The screen is listed as Premium HD. When I do a search on lenovo premium hd, the only thing that comes back is listings referring to the X220 1366x768 IPS panel.
So I am cautiously optimistic that the X1 will have an IPS screen. Could be Lenovos attempt at a MBP killer. Still crappy Intel 3000 graphics though. At least it will be SB.

Unfortunately it isn't realistic to expect a dedicated GPU in a notebook that small and thin. If you want a dedicated GPU, it'll be in something larger than can physically accommodate one.

Either way, it is a good thing that Intel finally stepped up with the Sandy Bridge GPU, especially since it is a little faster than the 320m. Hopefully they will keep improving it and not just sit on their asses, now that they've locked NVIDIA out from doing integrated GPUs.

The X1 sounds promising indeed, need to keep an eye out for news about this one

I am thinking that the IPS versions of these are going to be prohibitively expensive.
The list prices on X220 that I have access to are around 1700. Way too much in my mind.

The tablet version (x220t) will only be offered with the 300 nit IPS display, having a multitouch/stylus version as well as a gorilla glass model that I believe is stylus only and intended for outdoor use.

While I do wish it weren't 16:9, I'm really interested in picking one up for school. Review here.

I am thinking that the IPS versions of these are going to be prohibitively expensive.
The list prices on X220 that I have access to are around 1700. Way too much in my mind.

The price is in line with other ultraportables with good build quality (keyboard, trackpad, chassis, etc), and the upgrade price for the IPS screen is pretty reasonable. If you don't want something that is slim and light without compromising battery life and performance, there are larger options out there that will cost less.

The nice thing about notebooks are all the choices. Unfortunately, slim and light with good performance and battery life will cost you. :)

Looks like this is not as expensive as I originally thought!
i5 with IPS for under $900

Yup, at least on the student site, the IPS screen labled as premium and not flexview like past IPS screens is only a $45 dollar option. Hopefully it will be a big step up from the stock display.

I'm waiting on a final quote from my Lenovo rep. If all goes well I'll be ordering one of these babies today or tomorrow.

2.7ghz i7 w/ IPS display. Going to max out the RAM with aftermarket DIMMS and buy a compatible SSD off of Newegg. This will save me big bucks.

I had to cancel my order because Lenovo's site is screwed up and my order had Win7 spanish.
They said to order tomorrow.

I just placed my order via phone (in Canada). The rep took about $100 off the price to make up for the price difference in the screen between the US and Canada.

Now I just have to wait 3 or more weeks to receive it. Sigh.

Unfortunately, for us Canadians the IPS screen is a $150 upgrade without discounts. No idea why it's so much extra.

Back