Lenovo Finally Shipping X1 Yoga OLED Laptop

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Remember when we saw all of those OLED laptops being shown off at CES in January? I thought they became vaporware because manufacturers basically went silent, but courtesy of Lenovo, they do exist and you can get your hands on one now.

Wonder how screen burn in is. I know with the phones you cant leave them on for 18 hours a day on the dock as clock for example.

Remember when we saw all of those OLED laptops being shown off at CES in January? I thought they became vaporware because manufacturers basically went silent, but courtesy of Lenovo, they do exist and you can get your hands on one now.

Actually, Dell / Alienware have already released their 13 inch OLED screen laptop as a limited release. I really want one, bad. Supposed reason for the delay or limited quantities is due to a lack of priority and possibly good yields from the screen manufacturers.

I could be wrong but I believe most of them went through Samsung, outside of the small screen market for their phones and tablets Samsung has passed up OLED technology for larger display panels and shifted their R&D towards QLED with the hopes of better yields and cheaper production costs.

Burn in is probably terrible if it is anything like phones, I had the Google maps screen burnt into my first gen moto x after like 2 months of usage as navigation to and from work.

I wonder if the laptop uses a similar setup to LG's large OLED TV's (using white OLED as a backlight - they acquired the rights from Kodak a while back). Would this minimize the possibility of burn-in as opposed to Samsung's direct RGB OLED technology?

Saw this laptop at CES. Wow. Best laptop screen I have ever seen hands down. Thinking about getting one for our office. Between this and the new macbook pro. When the new MacBooks come out I will order this and the macbook and run some tests and keep the winner. Looking forward to it!

Burn in is probably terrible if it is anything like phones, I had the Google maps screen burnt into my first gen moto x after like 2 months of usage as navigation to and from work.

It took you two months to learn how to get to and from work?

I have two of these OLED X1 Yoga. I bought one of the first, thought it had a color fringing problem (it does) and ordered a 2nd one. It too had the same problem. Since the 1st was mostly configured for work already, I kept using that one. I'm still using it. It's amazing, I love it. No burn in problems, but then again, after 15 minutes of inactivity my sBcreen goes blank so it's not a problem anyway. Not like a plasma, which I also have two of, and no burn in there either. Back to the color fringing problem. It's noticeable, in high contrast areas. Like the apple white on gray logo on their home page. Right side of apple, slight magenta tinge, left side, slight green. For the most part though you don't notice or grow accustomed. Watching video, like Netflix, last weekend the picture is phenomenal. Like I said you would only mostly notice with some text. So given that negative, here are the Pro's and Con's. You make up your mind. I have two and I'm keeping the 2nd one as well for someone else to use.

PROs

• Super bright! Super contrast. Great black levels.
  • Keyboard is chicklet Lenovo - has the feel, the travel, the right amount of click
  • It has the Thinkpad red pointer, a must have - and it works 100% better than the ones in my last two laptops (X1 Carbon Gen 1 touchscreen and X1 Carbon Gen 3 non-touch screen)
  • Keys go flat when you flip cover over
  • Unlike Microsoft surface, you can't lose the keyboard (attached) and it doesn't buckle or disconnect if you're a little rough with it in tablet mode
  • Pen is stored in a slot provided for it. The pen works great and the handwriting recognition could read my hand writing which frankly, sometimes I can't
  • Works well as an iPad, a Tent or a Laptop.
  • OLED screen is viewable from almost any angle. Old non-touch screen Carbon X1 3G was sooooo bad. I had to tilt it as I moved from the top of the page to the bottom.
  • Scrolling with trackpad, very smooth. It's no Apple Magic Mouse, but probably as good as you'll find in Windows solution.
CONs

• Reds are a bit overblown.
  • Some blocking viewable in dark areas of image with video.
  • Lenovo needs a better video driver. They provide controls for brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and even gamma, but not for sharpness which I expect is dialed up for text and could be causing the problem with fringing and blocking. Hopefully they'll work on this.

• Color fringing with some text (way magnified)
    IMG_5106.jpg
  • Audio is a little thin, slightly worse than my Carbon X1 3G.
  • Screen is definitely glossier than older TFT screens. However, it's not bothersome or easily ignored.
  • If you had and X1 before, your docking station will have to be replaced. New connector. Good news is new dock is smaller and cable and connector slightly smaller as well. Still too damn short but . . .
Anyway, I love this thing to death!!! It helps I'm sure that I got the i7 (higher end 6600 chipset) and 512GB SSD.

Lenovo was 4 months late, but it was in my opinion worth the wait. Disappointed with the fringe issue, but the more I use it, the less I notice or care.

Has anyone else jumped on this?

I maxed this out w/ the configuration tool & it was $3,300 retail / $2,600 discounted.

The specs I chose are better than a Surface Pro 4 - but I never tried to buy / configure the SP4.

As a former Toshiba Portege 3500 owner - I am in love with the flexibility of this device.

I've never owned one yet, but I hope to see one in person & try it ASAP.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga - YouTube

Last edited:
Back