Lenovo Confirms That a Retro ThinkPad Is on the Way

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A posting at the Lenovo blog has revealed that the company will be making a special edition ThinkPad as part of the laptop’s 25th anniversary celebration. The original debuted in 1992 with a 25Mhz 486 SLC, 4 or 8MBs of memory, a 640x480 resolution 10.4-inch VGA display, and a 120MB hard drive. It weighed a little over 7.5 pounds and cost $4,350. It will be interesting to see the classic design with modern innards (OLED display, please).

It’s aimed at enthusiasts and superfans that were kind enough to share their thoughts about what the laptop might be. As with any new product we develop, there are always technical and cost limitations but I think where we landed is quite impressive. The product will embody many of the things people asked for. It has a wonderful black rubberized coating, three TrackPoint caps, and a keyboard to die for. I will proudly carry one. Exact pricing and availability are not finalized but I can assure you it will not cost $5000! I have no idea how that rumor got started.

Seems cool. I still use an x230 as my main laptop. Perfect combo of size plus decent power with a third gen i5. GPU is a lil underpowered tho.

I would love to have the ergonomics of the keyboard at the edge of the laptop again; but I don't think that's going to happen. I also want the side mounted trackballs to come back, so you can just drop me at the looney bin whenever it's convenient.

I don't need another computer...but if I could get my hands on a modern variant to the T41, or the W500 I used to have...I'd pick one of those up in a heartbeat. I've owned over 40 Thinkpads in the past 13 years, so I'll be very interested in seeing where this goes. I know I gave some input when they were talking about this a couple years ago.

Had a Lenovo apart the other day.

This is definitely not IBM any longer.

Every fastening point is flimsy, every component bay is cut rate and even flimsier. Poor components, terrible keyboard.

Garbage, complete and utter garbage.

This is going the same way as Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Skil. Buy great name with great reputation, sodomise reputation for quick profit until brand is destroyed..

I still love the form factor (other than thickness) of my old TP 600. Edge-to-edge keyboard that was a dream to type on, loud speakers, and a 13" screen with narrow bezels.

I might have to shell out for this. Will fit nicely with my non-working T43 and still functioning T420s. Now, I'll have to figure out how to get Slackware running if I do get one.

Every fastening point is flimsy, every component bay is cut rate and even flimsier. Poor components, terrible keyboard.

This is going the same way as Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Skil. Buy great name with great reputation, sodomise reputation for quick profit until brand is destroyed..

This is about their laptops, I gather? Are their mobile workstations like this as well? I'm liking their new desktop workstation line compared to HP's. The build quality is very good.

QFT. The X1 Carbon is the only model that still has the old IBM level of build quality, but a fully configured X1 is scandalously expensive. Their other stuff is just cheap Chinese junk. I weep when I see what they've done to the T series.

I have their thinkpad yoga 12. Solid as it gets. Touch screen, pen and relatively lightweight. Keyboard feels good when typing as well, farthest thing from flimsy. I purchased it for my parents a year ago, think it ran me around $1500.

My first ThinkPad was a 760ED.
Cost upwards of $6,000 optioned out, and made me an ub3r 1337 15-year old :cool:
Did enough work using it to pay it off too.

Now rocking a ThinkPad T540p provided by work that I hotrodded (16GB, 1TB SSD, 4810MQ)

I submitted my answers on their questionnaires. I require a 16:10 screen without the new fangled integrated-button-craptastic-trackpad to even consider it.

Back