LEGO Built a Life Size, Drivable Bugatti From Over a Million Technic Pieces

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
LEGO has built a drivable Bugatti and it took over a million pieces to do it. This thing is drivable and looks pretty close to the real thing. Further, it took almost 13,500 hours to build and even though it's not 100% LEGO parts you have to admit that this is a pretty impressive feat. If you go to the Italian Grand Prix in Monza you can see it in person, however, there's a video of the car for those of us that can't make the race.

Watch the video here.

To be clear, it’s not entirely Lego – there are some components that just can’t be replicated in plastic when dealing with something that all together weighs over 1.5 tons. For example, there’s a steel frame (pictured below), a pair of batteries, some 3d printed gears, and the whole thing sits on top of actual Bugatti wheels.

I loved the video although I was expecting some parts to fall off during the drive. Did they mention the speed that this thing would do? I would be very interested in a deeper look at the design.

lol, that's pretty awesome. Though... don't have that kinda cash to build a plastic motor like that. But amazing that it works!

Technic Legos made me the person I am today. If you dont know about the Technic side of Legos, please look it up.

I remember using some to build a fully functional semi truck. both tractor and trailer portions

good times.

Since it's made out of LEGOs, it has the same price as a real Bugatti.

Out of every Lego creation I have ever read about, a working, drivable Chiron is the most impressive considering the part count and number of hours it took to put together. Very impressive.

Personally I was thinking there's got to be some adhesive SOMEWHERE in there.

Hard to say for sure, some types of adhesive would actually make the pieces more brittle so more prone to breaking with the vibrations. They might have though, as well as using illegal techniques to hold pieces together ("illegal" being ways that might make the pieces impossible to separate without breaking at least 1 of them).

It would be awesome if Jay Leno got this on his YouTube channel. That's really cool. Wasn't at all familiar with the Technic line but I like it!

I loved the video although I was expecting some parts to fall off during the drive. Did they mention the speed that this thing would do? I would be very interested in a deeper look at the design.

That A pillar shake got pretty intense a coupe times, I wondered the same thing.

5.3 horsepower out of 2,304 power function motors ($29.99 each ~ $69,096.96) pushing 3,306 pounds to over 12mph.

Screw Power Wheels, build one of these!

What's the crash test safety rating for this thing? Wind tunnel data? Will this be available in the dealership catalogs soon? I assume it costs more if I get it pre-assembled. How much money do I save on the do-it-yourself kit?

Back