LEGO Appears To Be Building A 'Minecraft' Competitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
LEGO is trying to build a Minecraft competitor? Ummm, good luck with that. :eek:

The world's biggest toy brand has begun including small flyers inside some of its sets advertising a new game called Lego Worlds, inviting players to "Explore. Discover. Create." Sounds exactly like the premise of Mojang's popular sandbox game, doesn't it?

From what I've read it is basically MC creative mode without any form of "redstone". When you are this late to the game, you need to at least be on par with what is out there...not years behind.

Blockland was the first, and the only one for me. Lego really missed out, there.

Lego is bizarre on this one, they licensed the IP, *AND* are trying to make a clone?!

That's pretty low, and curious if they may be in breach of their licensing contract doing this. Weird...

I've been dreaming of this since I was 4. I suspect they can't do a full-on Lego Sim yet because computers are not powerful enough, but if anything like LEGO Digital Designer in a good performing open world, then I'm in!!!

I'd be curious to know how they plan to use this game while also keeping interest in buying their ultra expensive physical blocks. Aside from the premade kits of figures from movies and such, I don't see a reason you would need both.

I'd be curious to know how they plan to use this game while also keeping interest in buying their ultra expensive physical blocks. Aside from the premade kits of figures from movies and such, I don't see a reason you would need both.

Buy the physical kit and receive a code to unlock the same in-game probably. I can see it working like Train Simulator or Microsoft Flight.... tons of overpriced DLC or micropayments.

If Lego was smart, they'd team up with Minecraft and make Minecraft Legos.

If Lego was smart, they'd team up with Minecraft and make Minecraft Legos.

That could never happen. I doubt the two companies could even decide on a name... Microsoft Lego Minecraft, Microsoft Minecraft Lego or Lego Microsoft Minecraft. :D

Well that revealed I'm sorely out of the loop on toys.

I have kids, 2 boys. They keep me squarely inside the loop on all matters both Minecraft and Lego. So when these sets came out it was quite literally the only conversation they would have with me for weeks on end.

Hmm, what? I don't even like Lego, but I can tell that the real thing is way different from this game.

Lego has a huge name brand and marketing power, just like apple they don't have to make a better product, they don't have to be first, they will still sell millions and millions of this game.

Also That_Sound_Guy, they could easily use this to sell more blocks. You can imagine them uploading their entire library of pieces into the game and allowing people to virtually make lego sets then order them which they already do I think with some software. Their is a ton of stuff they could do with this to reinforce the physical blocks with virtual blocks. Art is not a 1 way street, video games and movies sell physical goods, and physical goods sell virtual goods, both can postitively reinforce each other. We just had a thread about team fortress 2 action figures.

Lego has a huge name brand and marketing power, just like apple they don't have to make a better product, they don't have to be first, they will still sell millions and millions of this game.

Also That_Sound_Guy, they could easily use this to sell more blocks. You can imagine them uploading their entire library of pieces into the game and allowing people to virtually make lego sets then order them which they already do I think with some software. Their is a ton of stuff they could do with this to reinforce the physical blocks with virtual blocks. Art is not a 1 way street, video games and movies sell physical goods, and physical goods sell virtual goods, both can postitively reinforce each other. We just had a thread about team fortress 2 action figures.

once upon a history... they had a "game" called lego creator which was pretty much this except limited block types. They could easily now a days make the same game but have it load block types from some remote place so it stays up to date.

Think they'll allow as large of a modding community as Minecraft has? If not, they should drop the idea right now

See it is a kids version of MC. A bit simpler./easier not a competitor that needs to outshine MC

I can see it now. You will be able to purchase with real money or with in game currency that can only be obtained through real money transactions, special in-game lego sets (like the Starwars X-wing fighter set). Prices for these special sets will be 30% less than the physical sets current average retail market price. That way they can get people who can't afford super expensive physical Lego products to buy moderately expensive digital Lego products.

Buy the physical kit and receive a code to unlock the same in-game probably. I can see it working like Train Simulator or Microsoft Flight.... tons of overpriced DLC or micropayments.

Or they could also do what I was hoping would be in their lego MMORPG thing. Which is you can make what you want, and if you see something cool, hit the buy it now button, and the Lego robot picks and packs all the right bricks for you and ships them out. Like physical DLC, but more expensive than any DLC ever.

From what I've read it is basically MC creative mode without any form of "redstone". When you are this late to the game, you need to at least be on par with what is out there...not years behind.

You think kids will care about this? They'll gobble it up, just because it's Lego.

Lego is bizarre on this one, they licensed the IP, *AND* are trying to make a clone?!

That's pretty low, and curious if they may be in breach of their licensing contract doing this. Weird...

One can easily argue that Minecraft is a digital clone of the Lego concept. Building things out of blocks.

Or they could also do what I was hoping would be in their lego MMORPG thing. Which is you can make what you want, and if you see something cool, hit the buy it now button, and the Lego robot picks and packs all the right bricks for you and ships them out. Like physical DLC, but more expensive than any DLC ever.

They used to have the ability to download a program that let you design things, which could then be uploaded to them to purchase as a kit. I think they killed it a while back though. And yes, I still play with Legos :D

Aren't the lego maker's Notch's people? Sweden, Denmark, all the same. Am I right?

When Blockland hit the scene, Lego was in talks with them but it fell apart or something. Lego has plenty of chances to fill the void that MC eventually did.

Back