LegitReviews Core i3-7350K Kaby Lake Overclocking

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Krazy Nathan Kirsch of Legit Reviews fame has the meager Intel Core i3-7350K processor up for review today. The i3 now has HyperThreading along with a 4.2GHz clock all for $168. If you don't need a couple of extra cores, you will be very happy with the 5GHz+ overclocking he is pulling in.

You can read our Core i7-7700K Overclocking article here, and our IPC article here.

The i3's have had hyperthreading since Sandy Bridge. That's when the pentium's were delegated to dual core only.

Not the greatest review but you get the picture. The new i3 makes the AMD look pretty anemic for an 8 core processor..

Westmere i3's have HT - both desktop and mobile.
I have never used an i3 processor. I do remember sometime back that those did not have HT. Guess it was a bit longer than I though eh?

Skylake i3 here with HT, honestly though even at 3.7 my Haswell quad feels more snappy.

I, for one, come to the [H] to see reviews of "entry level" shit. How are those console and phone reviews coming Kyle? I get all excited when I think of those iPhone benchmarks.

Let's have a big 'ol Mac review day too, then we can all sit around and braid each other's hair and talk about dreamy celebrities.
Did you just call me Anand? ;)

Intel has given Core i3 and Pentium models Intel Hyper-Threading technology. In the past, this was a technology only reserved for Core i5 and Core i7

Cringe
if you are gonna make a CPU review at least have you facts correct

I3 always had HT on desktop CPU
I5 never had HT on desktop CPU

I have to admit I just assumed the i3 did not have it since the i5 did not. But then again, I don't review i3's. :)

Intel has given Core i3 and Pentium models Intel Hyper-Threading technology. In the past, this was a technology only reserved for Core i5 and Core i7

Cringe
if you are gonna make a CPU review at least have you facts correct

I thought the first generation i5s had HT as well as some of the low-power -T and -S models in newer generations?

i.e. https://ark.intel.com/products/48504/Intel-Core-i5-680-Processor-4M-Cache-3_60-GHz and https://ark.intel.com/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I am glad that they have mostly stuck to the formula that i3s have 2 cores with HT, i5s have 4 cores without HT, and i7s have 4 cores with HT, but there are inconsistencies mixed in. There are similar inconsistencies within the Xeon family as well.

I thought the first generation i5s had HT as well as some of the low-power -T and -S models in newer generations?

i.e. https://ark.intel.com/products/48504/Intel-Core-i5-680-Processor-4M-Cache-3_60-GHz and https://ark.intel.com/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I am glad that they have mostly stuck to the formula that i3s have 2 cores with HT, i5s have 4 cores without HT, and i7s have 4 cores with HT, but there are inconsistencies mixed in. There are similar inconsistencies within the Xeon family as well.

It was the second generation core i5's and they were actually dual cores with hyperthreading. The 6xx series.

didnt know that about first gen.
but the -T CPU is kind of an odd bunch. Thats just like their laptops parts which are in many cases I3's sold as laptop I7 aka 2core with HT.
those i see pretty often. or their i5 6500U which i think they should almsot be punshied for makign it sounds like you are getting a real I5 6500
http://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

so yeah with those od bunches there are I5 with Hyperthreading but hardly enough to to take it as the default state.

didnt know that about first gen.
but the -T CPU is kind of an odd bunch. Thats just like their laptops parts which are in many cases I3's sold as laptop I7 aka 2core with HT.
those i see pretty often. or their i5 6500U which i think they should almsot be punshied for makign it sounds like you are getting a real I5 6500
http://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

so yeah with those od bunches there are I5 with Hyperthreading but hardly enough to to take it as the default state.

True. The real story is that there is another low-end (I guess they call it mid-range) CPU that does not have a locked multiplier, like the Pentium G3258 (true low-end). At the recommended customer price, you are getting close to the price of an unlocked multiplier Core i5 part, but that $40 - $50 savings can go toward a better GPU I guess.

Yeah I have an i3 in the box I threw together for controlling a 3D Printer. And that's when I found out they had hyperthreading.

Anyways, I would have liked to have seen some gaming benchmarks. We all have those people in our lives that refuse to spend more than $600 on a gaming PC. This CPU might be for them.

I might buy one of these just to OC and use as a super light media server... Stupid but fun and cheap.

Yeah I have an i3 in the box I threw together for controlling a 3D Printer. And that's when I found out they had hyperthreading.

Anyways, I would have liked to have seen some gaming benchmarks. We all have those people in our lives that refuse to spend more than $600 on a gaming PC. This CPU might be for them.

Yeah, I had an i3 530 that overclocked well enough to be reasonable. But that was in the days when many games did very well with 2+2 highly overclocked threads vs. 4 moderately overclocked threads. With them selling a K version now, I expect we will see someone provide these kinds of benchmarks, but I'm not optimistic that it will do well for any type of game other than the 'e-sports' games like CS:GO / LoL / DotA

I expect it will be reasonable, but with the price so close to the 4 core non-HT, I'm not sure how relevant it is. When I had my i3 OC, it was ~$115 vs. the i5 at ~$200. An i3 at $165 it'll have a lot tougher time competing with an i5, plus games work a LOT better with lots of threads than they did in 2010, so 2 pure cores is going to be worth a lot more than 2HT threads now vs. 7 years ago.

Ir's just like Legit reviews to omit other Core i5 and i3 desktop processors...in a review about a Core i3 processor!

You have one of the most expensive Core i3 processors available here, only a few dollars less than a true quad core i5, but Legit Reviews lives up to their name by providing ZERO comparison Core i3 or Core i5 benchmarks. Just FOUR generations of 4c/8t Core i7 to compare against, and for some pointless reason ten cores? No Skylake Core i3 6100 or i5 6500 for comparison? WHAT THE FUCK?

At least the FX-8370 is in the same price range. And it gets raped in everything except encoding. And that's significant, because, of the three games they chose, two support more than 4 threads (GTA V, Deus Ex)). So that FX is as utilized as it's going to be, but even in the more modern games the i3 is 40% faster :eek:

Last edited:
But you used to review and even use the budget hardware. Celeron 300A anyone?
Yeah, and back then we could make those perform like processors twice the cost. But now days given the nature of multithreading and your computer generally handling multiple programs at one time, those days are gone due to product stratification.

Isn't it more important that this is a 'K' processor? I haven't seen a 'K' which wasn't an i5 or i7 in a while.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day Intel releases an unlocked i3...this might take over as the go-to recommendation for budget build advice threads.

Quick, someone throw up some useless overclocking comparisons from this to the G3258. Except that is a $60 chip vs a $168 chip... just to get hyperthreading? Don't the 3258's get up to 5ghz?

edit - meh, Anand has them both in bench but not OC'd

edit v2 - oh just saw Kyle posted that the new Pentiums are getting HT as well. WTF Intel? Can't make up your minds?
https://hardforum.com/threads/kaby-lake-pentium-processors-get-hyper-threading.1922088/

Last edited:
Quick, someone throw up some useless overclocking comparisons from this to the G3258. Except that is a $60 chip vs a $168 chip... just to get hyperthreading? Don't the 3258's get up to 5ghz?

edit - meh, Anand has them both in bench but not OC'd
I agree the Price is a bit much for what it is. Hopefully Zen makes them reconsider this price. Otherwise I will just go mITX Zen for my HTPC.

I agree the Price is a bit much for what it is. Hopefully Zen makes them reconsider this price. Otherwise I will just go mITX Zen for my HTPC.

I did read somewhere that they plan to put the Zen core into APUs, so that might be good for a HTPC unless you need it to have bigger ballz...

I did read somewhere that they plan to put the Zen core into APUs, so that might be good for a HTPC unless you need it to have bigger ballz...
Gotta have the balls man. Someone might be gaming on it when they're over.

Back