LegitReviews Core i3-7350K Kaby Lake Overclocking

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

Krazy Nathan Kirsch of Legit Reviews fame has the meager Intel Core i3-7350K processor up for review today. The i3 now has HyperThreading along with a 4.2GHz clock all for $168. If you don't need a couple of extra cores, you will be very happy with the 5GHz+ overclocking he is pulling in.

You can read our Core i7-7700K Overclocking article here, and our IPC article here.

criccio likes this.
  2. Jim Kim

Jim Kim Gawd

Hasn't the i3 had HT for a while now?

3. Kyle_Bennett

I don't think so. But honestly, I really don't give a shit either, so I may be guilty of not paying attention.

DocSavage and {NG}Fidel like this.
  4. Jim Kim

Jim Kim Gawd

5. Bowman15

Bowman15 Gawd

The i3's have had hyperthreading since Sandy Bridge. That's when the pentium's were delegated to dual core only.

6. Kyle_Bennett

buzzbomb likes this.
  7. Bowman15

Bowman15 Gawd

Not the greatest review but you get the picture. The new i3 makes the AMD look pretty anemic for an 8 core processor..

8. Track Drew

Track Drew Limp Gawd

Westmere i3's have HT - both desktop and mobile.

Jim Kim and Bowman15 like this.
  9. Kyle_Bennett

I have never used an i3 processor. I do remember sometime back that those did not have HT. Guess it was a bit longer than I though eh?

10. Bowman15

Bowman15 Gawd

Yup I was going to update my post but see you caught it. I was referring to the newer core architecture.

11. ep0x73

ep0x73 2[H]4U

Skylake i3 here with HT, honestly though even at 3.7 my Haswell quad feels more snappy.

12. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney [H]ard|Gawd

I, for one, come to the [H] to see reviews of "entry level" shit. How are those console and phone reviews coming Kyle? I get all excited when I think of those iPhone benchmarks.

Let's have a big 'ol Mac review day too, then we can all sit around and braid each other's hair and talk about dreamy celebrities.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Did you just call me Anand? ;)

Mong00se, dgz, Ur_Mom and 4 others like this.
  14. Activate: AMD

Activate: AMD [H]ard|Gawd

But that would imply you couldn't take part in the hair braiding session.....

britjh22, dgz, ccityinstaller and 2 others like this.
  15. Kyle_Bennett

Jeez.....LOL. :ROFLMAO:

Peter2k likes this.
  16. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

Something something net worth 10M+. Zing.

Kyle_Bennett and buzzbomb like this.
  17. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

Intel has given Core i3 and Pentium models Intel Hyper-Threading technology. In the past, this was a technology only reserved for Core i5 and Core i7

Cringe
    if you are gonna make a CPU review at least have you facts correct

I3 always had HT on desktop CPU
    I5 never had HT on desktop CPU

whateverer and drescherjm like this.
  18. Tengis

Tengis [H]ardness Supreme

Booom. This was my thought the entire time.

19. Kyle_Bennett

I have to admit I just assumed the i3 did not have it since the i5 did not. But then again, I don't review i3's. :)

20. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

Well i have "luxury" of having to fix massive mount of system all the way back from C2D and up to Xeon system... god some of those prebuilt machines are awfull

21. MrCaffeineX

MrCaffeineX [H]ard|Gawd

I thought the first generation i5s had HT as well as some of the low-power -T and -S models in newer generations?

i.e. https://ark.intel.com/products/48504/Intel-Core-i5-680-Processor-4M-Cache-3_60-GHz and https://ark.intel.com/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I am glad that they have mostly stuck to the formula that i3s have 2 cores with HT, i5s have 4 cores without HT, and i7s have 4 cores with HT, but there are inconsistencies mixed in. There are similar inconsistencies within the Xeon family as well.

22. Bowman15

Bowman15 Gawd

It was the second generation core i5's and they were actually dual cores with hyperthreading. The 6xx series.

23. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

didnt know that about first gen.
    but the -T CPU is kind of an odd bunch. Thats just like their laptops parts which are in many cases I3's sold as laptop I7 aka 2core with HT.
    those i see pretty often. or their i5 6500U which i think they should almsot be punshied for makign it sounds like you are getting a real I5 6500
    http://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

so yeah with those od bunches there are I5 with Hyperthreading but hardly enough to to take it as the default state.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  24. MrCaffeineX

MrCaffeineX [H]ard|Gawd

True. The real story is that there is another low-end (I guess they call it mid-range) CPU that does not have a locked multiplier, like the Pentium G3258 (true low-end). At the recommended customer price, you are getting close to the price of an unlocked multiplier Core i5 part, but that $40 - $50 savings can go toward a better GPU I guess.

25. EODetroit

EODetroit Gawd

Yeah I have an i3 in the box I threw together for controlling a 3D Printer. And that's when I found out they had hyperthreading.

Anyways, I would have liked to have seen some gaming benchmarks. We all have those people in our lives that refuse to spend more than $600 on a gaming PC. This CPU might be for them.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  26. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

I might buy one of these just to OC and use as a super light media server... Stupid but fun and cheap.

27. Concillian

Concillian Limp Gawd

Yeah, I had an i3 530 that overclocked well enough to be reasonable. But that was in the days when many games did very well with 2+2 highly overclocked threads vs. 4 moderately overclocked threads. With them selling a K version now, I expect we will see someone provide these kinds of benchmarks, but I'm not optimistic that it will do well for any type of game other than the 'e-sports' games like CS:GO / LoL / DotA

I expect it will be reasonable, but with the price so close to the 4 core non-HT, I'm not sure how relevant it is. When I had my i3 OC, it was ~$115 vs. the i5 at ~$200. An i3 at $165 it'll have a lot tougher time competing with an i5, plus games work a LOT better with lots of threads than they did in 2010, so 2 pure cores is going to be worth a lot more than 2HT threads now vs. 7 years ago.

28. shaggy77

shaggy77 Gawd

I see the core i3s don't have ECC support unlike the 6th gen i3s hummm....

29. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

Here is hoping from overclocking of pentium with HT on cheap motherboards :D

mICKEL likes this.
  30. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

Ir's just like Legit reviews to omit other Core i5 and i3 desktop processors...in a review about a Core i3 processor!

You have one of the most expensive Core i3 processors available here, only a few dollars less than a true quad core i5, but Legit Reviews lives up to their name by providing ZERO comparison Core i3 or Core i5 benchmarks. Just FOUR generations of 4c/8t Core i7 to compare against, and for some pointless reason ten cores? No Skylake Core i3 6100 or i5 6500 for comparison? WHAT THE FUCK?

At least the FX-8370 is in the same price range. And it gets raped in everything except encoding. And that's significant, because, of the three games they chose, two support more than 4 threads (GTA V, Deus Ex)). So that FX is as utilized as it's going to be, but even in the more modern games the i3 is 40% faster :eek:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    {NG}Fidel likes this.
  31. Endgame

Endgame Limp Gawd

But you used to review and even use the budget hardware. Celeron 300A anyone?

whateverer likes this.
  32. Kyle_Bennett

Yeah, and back then we could make those perform like processors twice the cost. But now days given the nature of multithreading and your computer generally handling multiple programs at one time, those days are gone due to product stratification.

33. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC Limp Gawd

Isn't it more important that this is a 'K' processor? I haven't seen a 'K' which wasn't an i5 or i7 in a while.

34. Endgame

Endgame Limp Gawd

With the ability to OC the i3 series, that leaves 3 questions.

Question 1: The per core cache on the i3s is higher than the i5s. Does this make any significant difference in perf?

Question 2: Do the i3s overclock higher than the i5s due to the decreased core count? I'm seeing reports of 5.1Ghz on both the 7350k 7600k, but many of those reports seem to be based on review samples. In retail is that going to be the case? If its a matter of 5.1 - 5.2 Ghz on the 7350k, but only 4.8-4.9 on the 7600k in retail, will the extra cache and 8% clock make much difference?

Question 3: How well do games handle 4 real cores vs 4HT ones? I know everyone bitches that a lot of games don't take advantage of the 8 core -E processors, but do they also not really take advantage of all 4 cores in an i5?

35. Bowman15

Bowman15 Gawd

If the mobo allows it you could probably get +3-5mhz on the fsb or whatever they are calling it now days. Free 100Mhz boost.

36. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC Limp Gawd

BTW, very lame that they only did a small number of synthetic benchmarks with the OC'd chip.

37. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Wow, never thought I'd see the day Intel releases an unlocked i3...this might take over as the go-to recommendation for budget build advice threads.

38. mICKEL

mICKEL Limp Gawd

No overclocked benchmark results? o_O

39. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC Limp Gawd

40. Burticus

Burticus [H]ard|Gawd

Quick, someone throw up some useless overclocking comparisons from this to the G3258. Except that is a $60 chip vs a $168 chip... just to get hyperthreading? Don't the 3258's get up to 5ghz?

edit - meh, Anand has them both in bench but not OC'd

edit v2 - oh just saw Kyle posted that the new Pentiums are getting HT as well. WTF Intel? Can't make up your minds?
    https://hardforum.com/threads/kaby-lake-pentium-processors-get-hyper-threading.1922088/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    {NG}Fidel likes this.