Legendary Composer John Williams Appears to Be Done with “Star Wars”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While John Williams will return to score Episode IX, he may have finally gotten tired of the franchise: in a recent radio review, the composer noted that nine movies is “quite enough” for him. Fans will be able to hear more of his work in the Han Solo film, which releases in May.

"Disney Studios probably will take it further. As you know, Disney has acquired the rights for LucasFilm, and they will probably continue on through... decades, possibly, doing Star Wars-related attractions." While not a definitive confirmation that IX will be Williams' last Star Wars score, it's certainly daunting to imagine the franchise without him.

""Legendary Composer John Williams Appears to Be Done with “Star Wars”"

To whom does it appear that John Williams is done with Star Wars?

The prequels at least felt like Star Wars with poor acting. The past two of the last trilogy don't even feel like Star Wars, they're more like the bad WoW-inspired theme-park version, except for Star Wars instead of WoW. Given this unfortunate circumstance, its unsurprising that he would want to distance himself from the franchise. He's getting too old for this shit.

The prequels at least felt like Star Wars with poor acting. The past two of the last trilogy don't even feel like Star Wars, they're more like the bad WoW-inspired theme-park version, except for Star Wars instead of WoW. Given this unfortunate circumstance, its unsurprising that he would want to distance himself from the franchise. He's getting too old for this shit.

I disagree. The fart jokes, bad dialog and slapstick droid antics made it not feel like Star Wars to me.

That's probably exactly why the prequels felt like Star Wars movies - specifically the awful acting. Mark Hamill was by far the biggest offender in the original movies, worst acting ever. The only thing I can think of that was worse than the acting is the light saber battle between him and Darth Vader. It looks like they just pulled a couple people off the street and told them to fight.

I disagree. The fart jokes, bad dialog and slapstick droid antics made it not feel like Star Wars to me.

This. And then they took that trash and injected it into the OG trilogy with the special (aka: down syndrome) editions

it's 10 SW movies...Williams is also working on some music for the upcoming Solo standalone movie...he's not doing the full score for Solo and is only contributing a few pieces...so maybe it's 9½ SW movies

The guys net worth is an estimated 100 M . I would be done with a lot of things too if I had that kinda money.

Most people that mass fortunes worth 100 of millions of dollars generally aren't the type to just sit on their money and do nothing. The drive that they have to earn doesn't allow that.

Last edited:
Good, he was phoning it anyways. Not that I blame him considering how bad the new movies are.

Michael Giacchino would be a good replacement. He did Rogue One and the Star Trek movies. I think no one could really 'replace' Williams, but Giacchino does a great job.

Good, he was phoning it anyways. Not that I blame him considering how bad the new movies are.

What do you mean phoning it in? Are you talking about a similar situation where the Jango Fett actor phoned in his Boba Fett Special Edition re-dub?

What do you mean phoning it in? Are you talking about a similar situation where the Jango Fett actor phoned in his Boba Fett Special Edition re-dub?
I'm not familiar with that one, only watched the SE once. Phoning it in as not giving it your best but giving a minimum effort, "paint by numbers", sort of work. The music in the new films is very forgettable.

I'm not familiar with that one, only watched the SE once. Phoning it in as not giving it your best but giving a minimum effort, "paint by numbers", sort of work. The music in the new films is very forgettable.

In 2004 George Lucas made additional changes to The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition. One of the most famous alterations to TESB, is he re-dubbed over Jason Wintergreen's original Boba Fett Lines with the actor from Attack of the Clones that voiced Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison). Temuera Morrison was out of the country at the time and was unwilling to fly into the U.S. to do the replacement Boba Fett lines, so George just had him speak the lines over the telephone and recorded that for use in TESB. Temuera Morrison literally "phoned it in".

Last edited:
Everyone whining about Star Wars 7 & 8 obviously haven't seen the Ewok Adventures.

There are TWO great Star Wars movie, ONE good one, and a bunch of crap. At this point, Star Wars is mostly terrible. Why I keep going to see these movies is beyond me.

I did sort of like Rogue One.

In 2004 George Lucas made additional changes to The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition. One of the most famous alterations to TESB, is he re-dubbed over Jason Wintergreen's original Boba Fett Lines with the actor from Attack of the Clones that voiced Jango Fett (Temuera Morrison). Temuera Morrison was out of the country at the time and was unwilling to fly into the U.S. to do the replacement Boba Fett lines, so George just had him speak the lines over the telephone and recorded that for use in TESB. Temuera Morrison literally "phoned it in".
LMAO!

Still stating your opinion as fact huh NeoNemmesis? You'll never change.

Would you prefer that each of my posts carries with it a disclaimer? Something along the lines of:

"The contents of this post are the opinion of the author and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the greater HardOCP community"

I think that would get a little tiresome don't you?

Also, when you say "you never change" is that a fact or an opinion? Feel free to use my disclaimer on future posts!

Would you prefer that each of my posts carries with it a disclaimer? Something along the lines of:

"The contents of this post are the opinion of the author and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the greater HardOCP community"

I think that would get a little tiresome don't you?

Also, when you say "you never change" is that a fact or an opinion? Feel free to use my disclaimer on future posts!

Just either say in your opinion, or tell us what factually makes only two of the Star Wars movies good. I'm interested in hearing your criticism of the films you didn't like if you are able to put it into actual words.

Just either say in your opinion, or tell us what factually makes only two of the Star Wars movies good. I'm interested in hearing your criticism of the films you didn't like if you are able to put it into actual words.

What factual information would you like me to provide precisely?

Your homework for tonight is to go read a movie review (any movie), count the number of times they say 'in my opinion' when they make a statement and then report back to me. Or don't.

You're getting caught up on the fact that I'm not attempting to justify my opinion in any way shape or form where a typical movie reviewer would attempt to justify their opinion by giving various examples.

Last edited:
John Williams is old and tired, just like the Star Wars franchise.
I'm quoting myself here to make it clear I'm as big a John Williams fan as there is, despite the disrespect I showed him in order to throw some shade at the franchise. I often have his discoreography on repeat while I work. I feel especially guilty because he's such a sweet and humble man, despite his living legend stature.

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas owe their millions to Williams.

IIRC there was an interview at some point where Williams said he has not actually even seen the movies all the way through. I could be misremembering that though.

Back