Left 4 Dead

Which Platform for Left 4 Dead

• PC

Votes: 128 94.8%

Votes: 7 5.2%

• Total voters

Tac

Limp Gawd
This game is only a couple months away and I still haven't decided which platform to buy it for. I know the PC version will most likely have a larger community but I've heard the 360 will have on/offline split screen support which seems cool. My PC is on the low end

P4 @ 2.9GHz
1.5GB RAM
7600GT
80 GB HDD

I'm just curious what the [H]ardforum members are going to get it for.

Not sure which platform I want it on either. I agree with the PC and the community but I happen to like playing online while laying on my couch too. Hmm...

First person shooter means keyboard/mouse for me. If I don't get to use KB/M, I don't play it. So, PC.

Besides, I like anisotropic filtering :)

Both PC and 360 have online co-op, but you don't have to pay for the PC version, or suffer a nasty little split screen

I'm probably gonna pass on this one. Multiplayer fun takes over your life.

I love Valve's games though so this should be a good one

Unlike other companies, Valve actually makes games for the PC. The console version is just a port (though I don't doubt it will still be good). That seems backwards, I know.

So in conclusion: PC. :D

1. (PC) New maps for free? Check

New modes (should valve release any) for free? Check

Constant updates/patches? Check

2. (Xbox) New maps/modes? Sure, if you don't mind paying for them a year after the pc gamers got them for free.

Patches? (Maybe to fix the initial lag issues, but after that probably not)

If l4d will be anything like every other valve game ever out for both pc and console, its almost always smarter to go with the pc version.

Unlike other companies, Valve actually makes games for the PC. The console version is just a port (though I don't doubt it will still be good). That seems backwards, I know.

So in conclusion: PC. :D

Agreed. They don't even really update the orange box for 360. Valve=PC!

If you've got a choice of both, and you pick the console, you're a fool.

I don’t know honestly. I am liking playing on console more and more as I get older. Something about a 56” screen and killer sound that makes so much more difference than anything else. I also am liking the 360 controller more and more. People want to hate on it, but when I play CoD4 on my pc with my 360 controller I do pretty well, so I think it just comes down to experience. I did just get a gtx 280 though, so maybe I will pick it up on pc to justify my purchase. Then again, the sub I just bought for my home theater cost twice what the 280 cost.

Sounds like you need to hook your PC up to your home theater. That'll blow away the 360. :D

i voted PC, personal preference for FPS'. this game looks great, looking forward to it.

countdown till thread degenerates to console vs PC bitch-fest......5......4....

Definitely PC here....been waiting for this game for awhile, can't wait til it comes out.

If you've got a choice of both, and you pick the console, you're a fool.

Basically. The only thing I could see making a difference is if the people you want to play with only have console as an option.

No option for both? I will most likely pick up the console version first, then get the PC version when the price lowers.

A good portion of my friends have 360s and Live, so we'll probably hit it up there. I've played the demo at PAX and the game runs fine for a FPS and the game is ridiculously fun.

This game is on a different level of fun when playing in coop with a bunch of friends, so this is how I will evaluate my choice. Silly to pick what I think is the superior platform for this game (PC) over my friends, no?

No option for both? I will most likely pick up the console version first, then get the PC version when the price lowers.

A good portion of my friends have 360s and Live, so we'll probably hit it up there. I've played the demo at PAX and the game runs fine for a FPS and the game is ridiculously fun.

This game is on a different level of fun when playing in coop with a bunch of friends, so this is how I will evaluate my choice. Silly to pick what I think is the superior platform for this game (PC) over my friends, no?

I'm probably going to end up with both as well now that I've seen your post. I don't have to be an elitist for console or PC to have fun. :p

Seriously, if you own both (and have a computer that can run it), the only reason to go with the 360 version is if you have friends on XBL. Thankfully, my friends all have good PCs....

PC

Even if I had thought about getting it for 360 I've seen how well supported The Orange Box has been on the 360.

This game will be too frantic to play on a console.

PC

Even if I had thought about getting it for 360 I've seen how well supported The Orange Box has been on the 360.

This game will be too frantic to play on a console.

Right.... Well supported...

Gabe Newell in regards to the updates for TF2:
"Valve boss Gabe Newell spoke about the updates saying, "On the consoles, they want us to charge money for them, because that's in their model, and our model is very much more to grow the community by giving out free updates." Boy, we like the sound of Valve's model much better." from X3F

The orange box isn't well-supported, it's ruined with all the stupid updates and unlocks and wanky rebalances.

Right.... Well supported...

Gabe Newell in regards to the updates for TF2:
"Valve boss Gabe Newell spoke about the updates saying, "On the consoles, they want us to charge money for them, because that's in their model, and our model is very much more to grow the community by giving out free updates." Boy, we like the sound of Valve's model much better." from X3F

...I think that's what melkore was trying to get at....

The orange box isn't well-supported, it's ruined with all the stupid updates and unlocks and wanky rebalances.

So you can't use a class or weapon that is unfairly skewed and there's a problem? There's also a problem with giving the community FREE maps and replay value? Wait... what's that sound? It's the Boo-Hoo train. Next stop: you.

Better graphics, user made content, free updates, better online community, free online play, and mouse+keyboard support makes PC the clear winner.

So you can't use a class or weapon that is unfairly skewed and there's a problem? There's also a problem with giving the community FREE maps and replay value? Wait... what's that sound? It's the Boo-Hoo train. Next stop: you.

That's a well-structured and coherent argument, and you didn't lower yourself or anything.

TF2 came out with a few minor tweaks needing doing, but otherwise flawless. It's now degenerated into a fat mess of stupid, arbitrary unlocks, endless class rebalances and updates that leave you with the damn spawn message sat in the middle of your screen for five bastard minutes.

Free updates are fine, but to say that the orange box is well supported is to say that the US military is well-supported: sure, it's had lots of time and money and effort thrown at it, but the real-world application is lacking, and everyone has contempt for it.

PC.

I just don't like the console controller, although I do enjoy the online aspect of XBox.

If I'm not incorrect there will also be single player for L4D as well......won't be the same but will be supported I believe.

1. FPS games are always better on KB/M IMO.

2. I'm not paying to play online. What a stupid moron I've been to pay for XBL.

I picked PC, but I may end up with the xbox360 version depending on system requirements and how well it runs on a x1950pro and E7200 @ 3.16ghz.

I am sure it will run and look great on both systems, but Value really supports the PC community with constant updates.

I picked PC, but I may end up with the xbox360 version depending on system requirements and how well it runs on a x1950pro and E7200 @ 3.16ghz.

I am sure it will run and look great on both systems, but Value really supports the PC community with constant updates.

I don't know about Left 4 Dead but The Orange Box looked and ran way better on one of my PCs which has a X1950Pro in it. Since they're both Source, you're probably still better off with the PC version.

Yeah, I sure hate it when devs give me free "stupid" updates. Mixing up the game play to keep the game fresh is a terrible idea. We should keep everything in stasis and never change anything... ever!
:rolleyes:

Anyway, getting L4D on PC. Can't wait. I'm sure it and Fallout 3 will dominate my free time.

That setup should kill any source game.

Yeah, I sure hate it when devs give me free "stupid" updates. Mixing up the game play to keep the game fresh is a terrible idea. We should keep everything in stasis and never change anything... ever!
:rolleyes:

Anyway, getting L4D on PC. Can't wait. I'm sure it and Fallout 3 will dominate my free time.

If they're doing it as a response to the whining juveniles crying on their forum because they can't understand how to play different classes, then yeah, especially if it comes at the cost of a stellar game.

Trivialise and post 'rolleyes' emoticons some more.

If they're doing it as a response to the whining juveniles crying on their forum because they can't understand how to play different classes, then yeah, especially if it comes at the cost of a stellar game.

Trivialise and post 'rolleyes' emoticons some more.

*head explodes from the irony*

I'd love to have it on my 360 at the big LCD but that game looks too wild for me to be able to handle it with a game controller and plus it'll probably look better on PC. :)

I already Pre-Ordered it for my PC.
My new parts should play it pretty good,
E8400 3.0Ghz
4GB
eVGA 9800GT
Vista Ultimate 64

I bought an Xbox Elite 3 weeks ago and played it 3 times. I just can't get the hang of FPS's on consoles, too hard for me to aim.

Back