Left 4 Dead Laaaag

Karant

Gawd
Hi there everybody at [H]! So I made the choice on release date to purchase a copy of Left 4 Dead, sure enough it's a great game but I'm having a serious issue which makes it almost unplayable. Every 2 - 3 minutes of completely smooth gameplay, never dropping below 60FPS, the game will lockup and the sound will repeat for about 10 seconds before resuming. I have updated drivers and reformatted multiple times to justify having spent $50 on this game but it still seems unplayable. I have 4GB DDR2, 8800gts512, xeon e3110, and an asus maximus formula. and the problem occurrs on all detail / resolution settings. One thing I suspect it might be is the fact I'm connecting wirelessly to my router, although the problem still does occur in single player. Does anyone have any advice they can offer? Thanks!

Go into video settings and set it to Full Screen with borders

Or whatever that option is.

I don't have a solution for you, but I have the exact same problem :(. Let me know if you find a solution.

I believe its a known issue on the steam forums, I have it as well as many others.

Something in one of the more recent updates screwed with the CPU access, both my cores are almost always pegged at 100% where as before it was 50% - 80%.

Hope they fix it soon :(

Do you play any of the other source based games? If so, do you have problems with them. My Counter-Strike would do the same thing on my old crap acer, I think it was an audio driver problem.

Sure enough setting it to window mode had fixed the issue completely! thanks for your help!

What drivers you running on your video card?
180.48 is buggy and causes mad stuttering with L4D. I went back to 178.24. Flawless like before. I think theres a new 180.XX, but I dont want to try it.

Dont play this in a window, no way. Maybe this will fix your problem.....

Set mat_queue_mode to 0. Default is -1. NVIDIA apparently no longer tests their driver releases.

Back