LEDs on Vertex 2

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
I use a Vertex 2 in my workstation and laptop, and my friend's workstation uses a 180GB. This morning he went to boot, and the system defaulted to his standard 500GB HDD. After checking the BIOS, we see the system doesn't recognize the SSD and there is an amber light visible on the drive itself.

After doing some searching, it looks like the LED means dead SSD. Can anyone confirm this? ie. RMAed drive based on LED. I can't think of any other reason for an amber light to show on a drive.

Yet another successful OCZ story. :rolleyes:

OP, I do hope it works out for you and your friend. Let us know how the new drive functions. :)

OP i can confirm this as well. I bought a 60gb vertex2 and it was not recognized by the pc. Note this was a brand new one from micorcenter and yes it was amber/yellow. I tried to reboot and was able to see it and the led was green. Then I tried to install windows and no go reset itself and no drive found. Amber light was on again.

So yes what happened to you happened to me and amber light was on when drive was not recognizable and green when it was.

hope they treat you right, I did not have to go through RMA since I still had 30 day return with store.

Thanks for the info, folks. Since my friend needed his system back ASAP, we bought 2x Intel 510 120GB drives and put them in RAID 0. The system is smoking now.

At the computer store, the sales guy agreed completely about the quality of OCZ products lately. In his words, their SSDs "are fast, cheap, and break quickly." My system also has an OCZ Professional power supply, so hopefully that's a quality piece. I might update the thread again after the RMA process has gone through to let you know how it goes.

Back