LEDs Filled with Toxic Substances

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
LED technology has been around for 50 years and has been long held as the most efficient form of illumination. A study conducted at the University of California-Irvine has found that the ultimate price for efficient LED lighting may be a high one. The possible impact of LED disposal could have serious long term environmental effects.

Under environmental regulations in the State of California, most LEDs would be classified as hazardous waste and if disposed of in a standard landfill could easily leach into soil and groundwater, causing greater problems.

It's just a study in California. They are kinda wackjob crazy out there so I'm just going to dismiss this.
Kind of like lead. Unless you are eating it, no real harm.

Can't we give California to Mexico or China?

What about compact floresent bulbs. Dont they have mercury in them. What about the circuit borad in them. Does that have many of the other bad things that are in led bulbs? Plus cfls are bigger. Not to mention if we all poo in a land fill isnt that hazardous waist that will leach into the water supply too and make all of us sick. Why do they spend so much money on this crap. An incondesant bulb has to be the least hazardous of the bunch but they whine becuse it uses too much electricity. Hey guys there is a new study out that says the sun is hazardous! I mean WTF:rolleyes:

Is this really news?

What about tube televisions with a good hunk of lead and mercury in them? Pretty much ever modern device has something harmful in it. Hell even mattresses and couches are doused in heavy amounts of fire retardants which for a number of years leached into all of our bodies.

"Under environmental regulations in the State of California..."

This is the important part of the article. California is just one big state sized Jackass festival.

I find it odd that they list copper as one of the harmful chemicals. Anyone that has running water is drinking water out of copper pipes. Even if you have a new home that uses PEX, the fittings are still made out of copper.

I don't doubt it.. I remember building light panels with LEDs, switches, a 9v battery and a shoe box... occasionally I would pop an LED and they would smell with a very intense bad chemical smell... ack!

Soon only organic all natural beeswax candles will be allowed in California.

IMO we shouldn't be putting electronic devices in landfills to begin with.
There is plenty of good stuff in electronic crap that can extracted/ separated and reused.
It may not be efficient right now but this is something we need to do.

There will be a time in the future when we go back to mine our landfills.

It's just a study in California. They are kinda wackjob crazy out there so I'm just going to dismiss this.

Must be nice to live in fantasy land.

I'll assume by "dismiss" you meant "not read" because lead is one of the substances found in LED lights (and that along with things like arsenic or over the regulatory limit). This study suggests we should start classifying LEDs as hazardous material waste because it's hazardous material.

But I guess claiming things are hazardous and treating them as such is only what "wackjob crazy" people do? :rolleyes:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Classifying as a hazardous waste sounds like they're going to start doing like monitors and tax on a $15 tax on everyone you buy.

Incandescent lights have tungsten, and fluorescent lights have mercury. Does California classify both of those as hazardous material?

You guys have restored my faith in humanity you see right through the CA BS. I have to live in this shit box state called California, I can not wait for the day I can leave. CARB, the EPA and all the environmental wackos have totally screwed up this once wonderful place to live.

One of their latest piss and moans is about their curly light bulbs, they are not lasting as long as the wacko projections. So now they don't want you to just turn them on and off. You have to turn them on, let them warm up and leave them run for about 20 min. These people have shit for brains.

I'll assume by "dismiss" you meant "not read" because lead is one of the substances found in LED lights (and that along with things like arsenic or over the regulatory limit). This study suggests we should start classifying LEDs as hazardous material waste because it's hazardous material.

But I guess claiming things are hazardous and treating them as such is only what "wackjob crazy" people do? :rolleyes:

THANK you

I am surprised by the [H] community once again in this comments section. They just want LED's to be disposed of properly because they contain lots of really bad stuff in them. How is that wacko? I mean honestly people grow up.

They are also hoping that manufacturers find ways to make LED's with less dangerous stuff! OMG WHAT FUCKING JACKASSES HOW DARE YOU CALIFORNIA!!!?!?!?!?!**&!

Again, seriously people, grow up.

Chances are they're going to implement some sort of environmental sales tax to offset the costs of "disposing" of these hazardous items, you know, even though they'll end up in a fucking landfill anyway, the twats. If you can't see through the BS, I feel genuinely sorry for you. There are a lot of things that are toxic. Harden the fuck up, California.

Don't they already have something like that for television sets? A tax for disposal?

"In the LEDs, the researchers found toxic chemicals..."

Why didn't these morons just ask the LED makers what they're using?

Big deal. Like fluorescent lights aren't toxic right? I'd rather have a toxic light that was five time more efficient any day.

"The study determined that arsenic, lead, nickel, and copper would have the greatest impact on human and ecological health due to their ability to bioaccumulate."

Hmm, all those heavy metals "bioaccumulating" in my body. Is that why my a$$ is dragging?:D

Are your kids getting cancer from playing GTA4 and then murdering old lady hooker prostitutes? The answer may surprise you. This up next on FOX NEWS at 5.

see they just have it backwards its the STATE OF CALIFORNIA thats causing cancer :p

It is funny you should say such things. According to Dave Foley, it is Bruce McCulloch that causes all that cancer. (KITH-S01E01)

I believe Mexico already has it. :D

Is this really news?

What about tube televisions with a good hunk of lead and mercury in them? Pretty much ever modern device has something harmful in it. Hell even mattresses and couches are doused in heavy amounts of fire retardants which for a number of years leached into all of our bodies.

and the amount of LEDS you could use in a lifetime would probably be about equal to 1 of those tubes.

uh................... Isn't this a known thing? I could've sworn they knew this for a GOOD LONG TIME.

I am surprised by the [H] community once again in this comments section. They just want LED's to be disposed of properly because they contain lots of really bad stuff in them. How is that wacko? I mean honestly people grow up.

They are also hoping that manufacturers find ways to make LED's with less dangerous stuff! OMG WHAT FUCKING JACKASSES HOW DARE YOU CALIFORNIA!!!?!?!?!?!**&!

Again, seriously people, grow up.

Dear tubular,

You're not going to find any trees to hug on the internet, you may want to check outside.

Love,
The Internet

Dont count on it.

Bees are becoming closer and closer to extinct
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread654220/pg1

They already figured out what was doing it. It was just natural stuff like a mold and a disease but it was in a combination that acted as a double whammy. No need for conspiracy theories. Saw it on TV so no references, and too lazy to google it :p

As for the LEDs, I'm sure California will be more then happy for us to go back to oil lamps... oh wait, those were powered by whale oil... doh!

More insane eco mentalist crap, so they would prefer the lead bulbs they are pushing now where if one breaks in your house it's 10k and a week to get it cleaned! LED's are the future they last forever and use next to no power.

CFL's are thrown out by the hundreds of thousands in land fills and isn't Mercury the 2nd most toxic substance more so than the others? Why aren't they mentioning that? Where is the research on the recycling percentage of CFL's? It's probably low.

Besides, CFL's are more likely to release mercury than an LED. My dead grandmother can break a CFL. I'd have to hit the LED with a hammer to release the toxins. Big difference.

Most of my CFL's have burned out within a month. So guess what I'm doing? Going back to incandescent until LED's become more reasonable in price.

Sounds like a big marketing ploy to keep CFL's on the market a little longer. I'm calling bullshit on this one.

So is water in sufficient quantities. This is another way to bolster for a new tax on LED's.

Deal with lead on a daily basis here. I have for 20 years. Never once score high on the tests they give me. No gloves, respirators, or eye wear.
My dad doesn't either, he's worked at the same place for 35 years.

Gun range FTW. non-updated filtration system. Grandfathered into every EPA law.

Yep, they ground up LED's... since the "bad" part of the LED's are encased in plastic that would probably take thousands of years to degrade, the immediate hazards of leaching would be minimal. But as with all electronic components, they should be disposed of as e-waste. It's not like the CFL replacement bulbs don't have a circuit board on them with lots of "dangerous" chemicals/elements on them if one GROUND THEM UP into a powder.

Back