LED lights on my router keep blinking orange

c5guy

Weaksauce
I have a Cisco E4200 router connected behind my Comcast cable modem.

The small LED lights located at each network cable plug-in on my router are continually blinking orange all at the same time over and over.

I also notice on all my computers that are wired to this router the small LED lights near the network card plug-in are also blinking orange.

Can someone tell me what these orange lights mean and if I have a problem?

My internet service seems to work OK but I'm not sure what is causing all these orange LED's to blink and is there something wrong that imay be slowing my system down.

I have upgraded my Cisco router to the latest firmware and also power reset my cable modem and router several times with no change in the problem.

Can someone suggest what might be going on and how I might correct this?

Thanks

•• Green network activity indicator—On Ethernet ports, turns on when a
cable connects the port to another Gigabit Ethernet port. On the Internet
port, turns on while connected to a modem.
•• Yellow activity indicator—Flashes to indicate network activity over
that port.

Its normal.

That's interesting.....

So the green light just means the cable is connected.

And the yellow/orange means there's network traffic being transmitted normally/

I thought the yellow meant packet collisions or something bad like that.

Thanks very much -- I did some further hunting and found the below which confirms that my yellow/orange blinking lights are normal.

Thanks for your help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back panel of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router, E4200

Ethernet 1-4 (Yellow and Green)

These Ethernet ports connect the router to computers and other Ethernet network devices on your wired network using Ethernet cables.

The yellow light flashes to indicate network activity over that port. The green light turns ON when the local network port is connected to a 10/100/1000 port.

That's interesting.....

So the green light just means the cable is connected.

And the yellow/orange means there's network traffic being transmitted normally/

I thought the yellow meant packet collisions or something bad like that.

It was typically a red light for collisions. And collisions are not displayed per-port. Besides, ports are switch ports in anything that you going to buy these days and you won't get packet collisions on a switch (well, it's possible, but highly unlikely)

Back