Leaving WoW. Looking for a good Story MMO

4LC4PON3

DERP!
As the title sais. I am a very avid WoW loser lol. Ive been playing for about 5 years & I feel like its time to let go. I recently took a break for about 6 months to get life straight and I just recently last month redid my account but to be honest I dont feel for the game like I used to at all. I feel even with Cata coming out Im not going to be able to put my life back into WoW.

I was wondering. I am looking for a Free MMO with a GOOD Story to go with the game. I see that Lord of the rings online is now free so what do you guys think of it. Im downloading it now but its obviously going to take a bit so im looking for advice before its finished.

Like I said im looking for a fun to play MMO with a good story behind it. Does one exsist that is Free? I did try Cabal that my friend told me about I thought it was lame.

I'm pretty sure what you're looking for doesn't exist. The Old Republic MMO by Bioware would likely fit the bill, but it's not out yet.

Stories and MMO's haven't found a good mix yet. I'd say go play a Bioware rpg, or some other single/LAN game for good story.

Good luck I left WoW a year ago and have yet to find anything as quality. SW:TOR has a chance to be as quality but in a different way , it won't have the raiding system many people loved from vanilla WoW but it seems it'll fill that void in different ways to keep interest strong.

There really isn't anything close to that kind of gradual experience WoW has , raiding in other games or pvp is just either extremely easy or fucking impossible. Story wise its even more of a void.

Last edited:
Haha, I just got back into wow after 3 years away. The new changes I really like I really haven't found another mmo that is as quality as wow.

From what I've heard LOTRO is more story centric than most of the MMOs, but I can't vouch for it really since I only played the starting area and didn't really get into it.

From what I've heard LOTRO is more story centric than most of the MMOs, but I can't vouch for it really since I only played the starting area and didn't really get into it.
I only got to level 20 or so but the story is pretty comparable to WoW's first 20.

LOTRO will be one of it...

Don't even look at any korean MMO, they have no story line to begin with...

LOTRO will be one of it...

Don't even look at any korean MMO, they have no story line to begin with...

Sure they do, it's called the grind! It's real intense you see you kill stuff and loot, rinse and repeat. It's like the never ending story! :p

two worlds two? not an mmo but it is decent. have to get it via proxy though.

LOTRO is probably what you are looking for. It is really well done and for me only falls apart once you hit max level and have little content left besides raids. It is actually really well done and in many ways beats out WOW in my mind. I am not sure how it is after it went FTP, but it is definatly worth a download. The Mines of Moria expansion is really cool and Mirkwood was ok. The have now changed it to where you can do the main story line solo, your character gets a huge huge buff and you dont have to worry about trying to find people to do it with you.

Why not take a break from the MMO genre altogether? Try a single player game with a good story instead.

Why not take a break from the MMO genre altogether? Try a single player game with a good story instead.

there really isnt anything out there I havent played or beat except for the fallout series. I did play the first one but I didnt like it.

Someone meantioned that I will be back to WoW I say maybe. I went 6 months without even thinking about WoW. I just grinded a Shaman to level 70 in 2 weeks & to be honest I didnt have any fun doing so. Only reason I stopped at 70 is cause i just cant get into it anymore. Also im really getting tired of having to Pay to Play when I can use that 16.19 per month extra for my daughter for books, cloths or just something in General.

I did download LOTRO last night & gave it a shot for a bit. It seems to be pretty good & seems to be something I can get Into. I am going to give it a chance for a bit.

Lord of The Rings Online. Great story, aswesome, helpful community, more matue player base and the game looks good too.

Age of Conan has a pretty badass story for the first 20 levels... and if you are big on graphics, well it is one of the best, with the DX10 (11 now?) support and all

You'll be back. No one quits WoW permanently.

I did, only reason why I played that game was to do something with my ex-girlfriend since she begged me to play. Oh what we do for the ones we love.....I was in PAIN playing that game.

I left WoW and been playing Aion. I have been having a blast but only level 19, So I dont know how the end game will be. So far I like the cut scenes in the campaign. As you past the starting zone, I felt like I was the king of the world with the video once I saved the land.

After reading this, I may give Lotro a shot as well. FPS games are entertaining me, but they can't hold my interest for more than 45 minutes.

I did, only reason why I played that game was to do something with my ex-girlfriend since she begged me to play. Oh what we do for the ones we love.....I was in PAIN playing that game.

I thought I had quit for good, too. You'll be back.

Guildwars 2.

It isnt out yet but should be everything you're looking for.

In the meantime Guildwars 1 isnt quite as fun (I dont play it very often anymore) as a traditional MMO but still worth playing until it does release.

LotRO as others have mentioned is what you're looking for OP.

GW isn't a traditional MMO...or an MMO at all.

LotRO as others have mentioned is what you're looking for OP.

GW isn't a traditional MMO...or an MMO at all.

but it's so friggen playable. coming from UO, EQ, and SB I was literally in love with the game and played it for at least a year and a half. the pvp arenas were great. NCSoft had so many innovations I could cry. My favorite was the no-running-your-ass-off-between-zones feature. Insta-travel........um hello wow??

It's actually interesting, my old PvP guild is getting back together, now that Blizz is going to be doing rated BGs. Should be fun, looking forward to 5-caps and opponents inevitably /dance'ing.

You just haven't relapsed yet.

No I haven't. It's been years. I quit when my guild was halfway through Naxxramas. I was in the top raiding guild of the server. I'd say I have more willpower than those of you saying how everyone relapses. F- that game. I have no desire to ever play that again even if it went f2p.

On a flip note, I still get emails from Blizzard to this day asking about getting my password changed or whatever. I sold my account when I quit the game. Apparently, it's changed hands quite a bit. The funny part is I was able to change the password after all these years, meaning I do actually have possession of my account again. However, it's gonna stay dead. Not re-subbing to WoW. I would have liked to take a peek at the armory, but my account is so old that it's not on that site.

Lord of The Rings Online. Great story, aswesome, helpful community, more matue player base and the game looks good too.

This. The only weakness is the end game. They've done alot with it to make it more accessible to complete, but for the most part it is single handly the best story driven MMO out there. Every single quest either explores, or brings out more of the back story and lore to LoTR. So if you're a fan of the lore and stories of LoTR than you should enjoy the world that opens up in LoTRO.

No I haven't. It's been years. I quit when my guild was halfway through Naxxramas. I was in the top raiding guild of the server. I'd say I have more willpower than those of you saying how everyone relapses. F- that game. I have no desire to ever play that again even if it went f2p.

On a flip note, I still get emails from Blizzard to this day asking about getting my password changed or whatever. I sold my account when I quit the game. Apparently, it's changed hands quite a bit. The funny part is I was able to change the password after all these years, meaning I do actually have possession of my account again. However, it's gonna stay dead. Not re-subbing to WoW. I would have liked to take a peek at the armory, but my account is so old that it's not on that site.

Soon.

It's actually interesting, my old PvP guild is getting back together, now that Blizz is going to be doing rated BGs. Should be fun, looking forward to 5-caps and opponents inevitably /dance'ing.

Kinda doubtful this will happen again. PvP in vanilla was the "wild west" where anything went. Yeah, you're not going to see teams in full PvE sets steamrolling avid pvpers that could only grab a few dungeon blues here and there (pvp rewards were a joke back then). There's a baseline of PvP gear and a greater awareness of the meta-game now.

There will probably be ways to prevent possible constant steamrolling because arena-level gear is on the line. They've already put in measures during WotLK to prevent or reduce the chance of premades rolling on pugs. Most likely, you'll be teamed against other premades of a similar average rating. I like that it will be more competitive in that regard though.

I quit just after BC came out. I loved the actual raiding, but the level grinding and raid prep blew ass. I too was in my server's top guild and we had all but the last two bosses of Naxx on lockdown. Sometimes I really miss the four horseman and the complicated ass rotation we had (not to mention the black voids that never appeared on my screen due to my shitty 32MB nvidia laptop gpu not liking wow).

Kinda doubtful this will happen again. PvP in vanilla was the "wild west" where anything went. Yeah, you're not going to see teams in full PvE sets steamrolling avid pvpers that could only grab a few dungeon blues here and there (pvp rewards were a joke back then). There's a baseline of PvP gear and a greater awareness of the meta-game now.

There will probably be ways to prevent possible constant steamrolling because arena-level gear is on the line. They've already put in measures during WotLK to prevent or reduce the chance of premades rolling on pugs. Most likely, you'll be teamed against other premades of a similar average rating. I like that it will be more competitive in that regard though.

Yeah, however even in vanilla days when we used to go up against full blow pre-mades, the outcome wasn't much different. There are plenty of good pvpers and you put them into groups they are going to do somewhat well, however you add to that a pre-made that's on vent, has played together since the days of vanilla, since lvl 29 :D it makes for some fun. The game has changed the skill set hasn't.

Back