Leaving Hotmail/OE for GMail/Thunderbird

DigitalMP

Gawd
Okay, I'm ready to make the switch, but I have a couple questions. First, I'm an old school Hotmail/OE user, but not a paying member. I was going to just pay for Hotmail and get HotPopper, but I'm giving MS the boot as a whole for e-mail.

What I WANT to do is move all of my Hotmail/OE folders and contacts to TBird, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that without moving all of my settings, which I might need HotPopper for, no? (after this I would setup my GMail account in TBird)

Let's say I can move all of my folders and contacts. I don't need my Hotmail addy to work in TBird, but I DO want to setup my GMail addy in TBird to use with all of my ex-Hotmail folders & contacts. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

Then I'll send out my message from Hotmail.com to everyone (with my GMail addy as reply-to), and just keep monitoring my Hotmail account for messages that need to know of my change to my Gmail addy.

Can anyone see anything I'm missing here? Anything that might make this transition easier

When my desktop's board fried in the summer, I got my Inspiron lappy. I copied files from my old hard drive, including OE's store of DBX files.

However, it's not quite as easy to restore your address book from the DBX files, as you typically have to "backup" the address book in OE to be able to restore it.

I've been told there is a tool that will allow address book restoration via the DBX files. Has anyone heard of one?

Back