Least bloated carriers for a Google-free Android experience?

EnthusiastXYZ

Limp Gawd
There aren't many good options in US when it comes to selecting a carrier with excellent. I only know of:
- AT&T
- T-Mobile
- Verizon

Which one of them has the least amount of bloatware? If I get LTE data, I will become Google-free without any need for Google Mobile Services. I only use unlocked phones and from my carrier, I want only 2 basic services - mobile radio and LTE data. I do not want any carrier apps and could care less for features, such as eMBMS. I also want as much privacy as I can, but I do realize carrier towers give away your geolocation at all times. I can also force-freeze and uninstall whichever bloatware can be uninstalled. I think T-Mobile is the right choice, but I am not sure...

There aren't many good options in US when it comes to selecting a carrier with excellent. I only know of:
- AT&T
- T-Mobile
- Verizon

Which one of them has the least amount of bloatware? If I get LTE data, I will become Google-free without any need for Google Mobile Services. I only use unlocked phones and from my carrier, I want only 2 basic services - mobile radio and LTE data. I do not want any carrier apps and could care less for features, such as eMBMS. I also want as much privacy as I can, but I do realize carrier towers give away your geolocation at all times. I can also force-freeze and uninstall whichever bloatware can be uninstalled. I think T-Mobile is the right choice, but I am not sure...

Gonna echo T-Mobile. Not that there's never bloatware, but it doesn't have a reputation for saddling devices with lots of unwanted fluff. Keep in mind you could also use a service like Google Fi, which runs on T-Mobile's network and most definitely won't force you to take bloatware from a carrier-sold phone (you'll want the Fi app to manage your services, but that's about it).

I also have to ask: if you're so determined to avoid Google services and maintain privacy, why insist on Android instead of getting an iPhone where you can guarantee it'll be free of bloatware and Google services, with a stronger emphasis on privacy? It's a bit like asking for a salad without any greens in it... maybe salad wasn't what you wanted.

I am very familiar with Google Fi and I like it, but I just don't like Google. I want to cut out as many middle-men as I can. If I go with Open Source Android + non-Google carrier, then carrier is the main big tracker, but if I go with Google Fi or Apple + carrier, then I get 2 main trackers. Google account necessary for Google Fi + Google Fi networks and Apple account is necessary for iPhone + whichever carrier.

I think it is possible to use iPhone without an Apple account, but Apple = closed system. Even when using "Jailbreak", there aren't many changes that you can make. For example, I don't think there is a way to create your own IPTables rules (or whichever equivalent system Apple uses) or disable Multicast. With Android OS like Lineage or Graphene + root privileges + Magisk modules, I can customize my phone for good privacy and enjoy a good bit of apps, but carriers are still a problem. I know Google Mobile Services can easily gain access to your sensors, even figure out when you go to bed and wake up. Google Mobile Services can control any devices that uses it on OS level. I don't think carriers have the same level of control. I think they are limited to time, place, and data.

All 3 of them sell your data, locations etc... weather they disclose it or not. Google free I don't understand. Both IOS and Apple require accounts and services to really get basic functions. IMO just get a hot spot data, and use VoIP plus your own device.....

Who gets more data from your device - OS makers (such as Google) or mobile service carriers? Assume the device is unlocked (not purchased from carrier), but not rooted. Google always has root access to your device if you install Google Mobile Services and carrier always has access to your SIM information, location, phone call history, SMS/MMS history. I don't know for sure, but I think carriers are more limited as to the kind of information they can obtain from your device compared to OS makers and OS apps. At the same time, the type of information carriers log can be considered the most sensitive information and it cannot be spoofed. You can't spoof your location or disable location tracking, can't control your phone call history, and can't control SMS/MMS history. SIM-free phones can definitely see/detect mobile radio towers. I bet if a SIM-free phone can see mobile radio towers, then the same towers can see the phone, but can't authenticate the user precisely. I think that is why you don't need a SIM card to make 911 emergency calls.

Data brokers are most interested in location data because it allows them to create geo-fencing profiles.

Back