Learning to paint thanks to Crimson Sky

Derf

Weaksauce
I've decided to learn how to paint my own cases thanks to an article written by Paul Capello in Maximum PC magazine last year:
I started with a stock Maxtop case (5 or 6 years old) but forgot to take any pictures of removing the paint. I can only work on this project 1 or 2 days a week so anyone looking for a speed mod might want to go back to the forums ;-) Here are a few pics to get started and I'll post more as I get time (gotta love being an AmeriCorps volunteer!)
Narf!

Ok, I was lucky enough to have a little free time so I was able to start wet sanding the primer coat twice (400grit, let dry, reprimer then 800 grit) and paint the first coats on the front panel pieces:

A little plywood helps keep the side panels from flexing while I sand:

Front panel part 1:

Front Panel part 2:

In hindsight it might not have been the best idea to start off with a case with raised areas on the side panels 8*D

A bit more done today. I finished the priming and sanding (coats 5 and 6)

This afternoon I was able to do the first layer of color

Tuesday should be the wet sand and next layer of color.

I have been working a bit more on the paint. More wet sanding and 3rd coat of color went on yesterday. I was also able to finish the bezel:

I'm planning on 1 or 2 more coats of color before I move on to the clear coat and rubbing compound

I think it's beginning to show promise.

I'll be gone on vacation until 9/26 so work will resume afterwards.

With temps staying in the low 40's at night (the only time I can work on the paint now) I'm going to have to put this project on hiatus until spring.

Back