Learn Cisco From Scratch

Wotok

Gawd
I've been following this guy's (Jarek Rek) blogs over on Blogspot and find them to be an amazing resource for learning Cisco networking.

If you're a beginner, start with his blog Cisco Is Easy

If you've already got some skills, you can follow his journal as he brushes up on CCIE R&S at Hacking Cisco

He'll get you started with running your own Cisco emulator, explaining how to get it up and running in no time. There are tons of visuals and easy to understand explanations. Go check it out!

CIE-51-NAT.png

Check his profile and you'll find a couple more of his blogs, Cisco Notepad and Ubuntu Garage.

Looks like he started with the Cisco Notepad one, which has a mix of a lot of information. He then split the info into the beginner blog and the melt-your-brain blog.

The new company i just started working for said i can take TONS of Cisco training, I REALLY REALLY want to learn it!

Have no clue where to start, id like to build a home lab and learn about vlans and Cisco routing etc etc etc.

The new company i just started working for said i can take TONS of Cisco training, I REALLY REALLY want to learn it!

Have no clue where to start, id like to build a home lab and learn about vlans and Cisco routing etc etc etc.

Start there. Build a home lab. Do your own research instead of asking people to do it for you. Figure out what routers would be the best, switches, etc.. Then figure out how to connect them and do things. Use the CLI. Upgrade the IOS. Play with it. If you find a router on EBay and it has a password on it, look up how to change the configuration string and remove the password.

That's about the best thing you can do. Figure stuff out on your own - using research. Instead of asking people what and how to do it.

Start there. Build a home lab. Do your own research instead of asking people to do it for you. Figure out what routers would be the best, switches, etc.. Then figure out how to connect them and do things. Use the CLI. Upgrade the IOS. Play with it. If you find a router on EBay and it has a password on it, look up how to change the configuration string and remove the password.

That's about the best thing you can do. Figure stuff out on your own - using research. Instead of asking people what and how to do it.

Id have to know what stuff to buy etc etc, and where to get access to software.

Read the Cisco Is Easy blog. Throughout the blog, he'll drop tidbits of what routers and switches are good to learn on (priced within the range of the average Joe).

just curious, this day in age, does one really need to learn cisco (unless your going into hardcore networking) with all the other devices out there that do what cisco' units do, but much easier and friendly GUI's or commands.

I think me might start off with this package :)

One Cisco 1760 Voice Router Fully Loaded 64MB RAM, 128 MB FLASH

· Call Manager Express CME: Version 4.1(0) Loaded in 1760 with Phone Firm wares, Music on Hold, Backgrounds for 7970

· VPN module included in Cisco 1760

· One Cisco 3500 Series Switch with Power over Ethernet WS-C3524-PWR-XL

· Two Cisco IP Phones Model 7910

· One Cisco IP Phone Model 7940

· Two Power Cables, One Console Cable

· Access to our site from where you can download the Books and Video Trainings on how to setup Voice Network, Call Manager Express, Unity Voice Messaging system and many more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4971&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_11327wt_1298

DSC05164.JPG

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OK what people forget to mention here is that you would first have to make a choice of what way you want to learn Cisco. I mean you want to go to switching and routing , security , voice or even design?

From there any hardware you can get your hands on will be helpful. for voice a router that can run Call Manager express with a swich that does PoE and some phones. For routing and switching some routers and switches. for security add asa or pix. But all that is just a base. you should in any case plan on a VM or xen server to run some servers/services on and do not plan on running everything on 1 system that you would use to tinker around on it with. I say that as it is just nicer to have a quick system to work with and it gives a much better experience then a laggy system running various servers etc etc.(just a tip, plenty of people load a heavy laptop/pc full of vm and use it as a workstation).

So as said before know where you want to start and be informed there is plenty of people selling "kits" but the hardware and capabilities just do not match what is needed for you certification. And ALWAYS talk to you network admin , most companies have surplus laying around gathering dust ,)

And last but not least stick with it , Cisco stuff makes a great base, but as mentioed before there is mroe brands out there and once started in the world you will have to keep going to trainings to stay current :)

OK what people forget to mention here is that you would first have to make a choice of what way you want to learn Cisco. I mean you want to go to switching and routing , security , voice or even design?

From there any hardware you can get your hands on will be helpful. for voice a router that can run Call Manager express with a swich that does PoE and some phones. For routing and switching some routers and switches. for security add asa or pix. But all that is just a base. you should in any case plan on a VM or xen server to run some servers/services on and do not plan on running everything on 1 system that you would use to tinker around on it with. I say that as it is just nicer to have a quick system to work with and it gives a much better experience then a laggy system running various servers etc etc.(just a tip, plenty of people load a heavy laptop/pc full of vm and use it as a workstation).

So as said before know where you want to start and be informed there is plenty of people selling "kits" but the hardware and capabilities just do not match what is needed for you certification. And ALWAYS talk to you network admin , most companies have surplus laying around gathering dust ,)

And last but not least stick with it , Cisco stuff makes a great base, but as mentioed before there is mroe brands out there and once started in the world you will have to keep going to trainings to stay current :)

I want to learn : Voip phone voice and firewall / networking.

You can say that again. I've done installation, sustainment, and design and over 13 years in the game I think installation is my favorite. Design was hell and sustainment was sorta middle of the road because fixing things you are always learning something new when shit breaks, but until then you're just sitting there waiting. Installation though means I'm 100% hands-on 100% with the hardware and going places to do site surveys, the install itself, and on some occasions customer training of the new gear we delivered. All 3 disciplines have different skillsets and levels of focus when it comes to certification levels. I prefer the jack of all trades, master of none route.

just curious, this day in age, does one really need to learn cisco (unless your going into hardcore networking) with all the other devices out there that do what cisco' units do, but much easier and friendly GUI's or commands.

Depends on where you work I suppose. If your company uses all Juniper equipment, then no. But if you're job hunting for a networking position and you have zero Cisco knowledge/experience, you've probably just eliminated 90% of the jobs that you'd qualify for.

Back