Leaked Windows 10 Build 9901 Shows New Details

I don't understand why people who think Windows is garbage and don't use it feel so compelled to post in threads about Windows.

Nothing too complicated...insecure people always want to put on an act of superiority. Doesn't matter if it's windows/apple/x'nix/android fans, or even Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Ricer fans.

There are more people who want to argue why something else is inferior than there are people who give credit where it's due because they understand what it takes to actually make something.

In short...it really comes down to behavior of the 'me' generation.

Video editing isn't on the same level either. I wouldn't consider multimedia work in general + gaming a "niche" exactly.

It's even older than that:

Windows-8-Demotivator.jpg

How idiotic. AOL never had an OS, it was a web page with web apps, mostly flash stuff. BTW: AOL could not do video editing, windows can.

In short...it really comes down to behavior of the 'me' generation.

Because no other generation of people has ever been thought of as selfish/awful/worse by some other generation. And haha at generations in general as if there's some way to neatly draw lines between dates and say everyone born on this side of the random like I drew is somehow gonna act in this certain way that is different than other humans. I personally think it's an inferiority thing-y that people have or just a totally huge lack of depth and breadth of thought that causes them to say things like that in a "I'm serious and I genuinely think in such inflexible, narrow terms," way.

Here I am using Linux and the poor Windows peasants have to rely on Microsoft's ability to relocate the settings button? I feel spoiled with Linux UI's where I can put things where I want how I want. And Microsoft probably had to have many meetings on that settings button.

Also they still have the charms bar in Windows 10? I thought that would have been the first thing they removed.

16.jpg

You want to know the biggest road block to Linux adoption on the desktop? Look at a mirror.

Yeah aren't limited on customization at all with Windows 8.
Please. It's close to impossible to do real customization on your desktop without 3rd party software that often gets broken by a new OS's changes and don't always keep. Unless I'm wrong and it's easy to make your desktop look like this with Windows 8.1 standard options:

18iy5c53cmrlyjpg.jpg

Windows makes it a royal pain in the ass to change much besides your window color and wallpapers. They lock graphics inside .DLLs and obfuscate it needlessly. Want to change the images for your buttons? You'll either need to replace system .DLLs that you hope won't need to get updated OR use 3rd party software that works only some of the time. Same for many icons, windows styles, systray and taskbar looks and behavior, the list goes on and on. Just because you can undo 8's worst crimes against the desktop GUI doesn't make it "not limited at all."

BBA said:
How idiotic. AOL never had an OS, it was a web page with web apps, mostly flash stuff. BTW: AOL could not do video editing, windows can.
No shit? The point was their basis for GUI design looks like it was ripped straight out of an AOL kid's page from the 90s. It's like a poster child for being dumbed down and less functional than what you would expect from a professional desktop OS. I was talking about the GUI design, not implying AOL was an operating system...

No shit? The point was their basis for GUI design looks like it was ripped straight out of an AOL kid's page from the 90s. It's like a poster child for being dumbed down and less functional than what you would expect from a professional desktop OS. I was talking about the GUI design, not implying AOL was an operating system...

Neither the Start Menu nor Start Screen are all that feature rich. The Start Menu is little more than a hierarchical structure of static links. The Start Screen is flat structurally, i.e. no folders, but it is a better short cut system in that you can have an unlimited number of them and tiles have a programmatic UI and are in essence an separate app screen.

Ultimately neither the classic Start Menu nor Start Screen do everything well that is now expected across the board from Windows. While many think the hybrid idea is a mistake there's no turning back from the idea now, not with an increasing number of Windows touch devices.

Touchscreens are fads just like VR, 3D televisions, and glossy laptops. It doesn't sell well and the devices that are successful are like super inexpensive stuff that has low profit margins (the same low profits margins that made netbooks not good for OEMs and caused Intel to do the whole expensive netbook thing in the form of ultrabooks that also don't sell very well). Once touchscreens finally stick around on phones where they belong and not on laptops/desktops/tablets, the UI will probably have this marketing thing where it gets a revolutionary new UI that's designed to work with mice and keyboards.

Touchscreens are pretty close to optimal for certain categories of devices. I doubt they'll go away for phones and tablets, regardless of OS.

For desktops and laptops, almost the entirety of Windows' install base, it's ridiculous for MS to push it so hard. Touch enabled laptops and PC displays are niche products and were mostly written off last year.

For desktops and laptops, almost the entirety of Windows' install base, it's ridiculous for MS to push it so hard. Touch enabled laptops and PC displays are niche products and were mostly written off last year.

I've been in a number of different retail stores this holiday season and there seems to be more touch Windows hardware than ever. Sure the current install base of Windows users is overwhelmingly on non-touch hardware but as hardware ages out and low end touch devices become better and more affordable than ever, that's going to change over time.

The Windows retail hardware market has changed significantly in the last year at the low end. Free Windows on these cheap devices, many of which are being very well received like the HP Stream series. My favorite, the $180 Nextbook 10.1 hybrid netbook. For all that it does at $180, the average buyer could probably care less about a Start Menu.

Once touchscreens finally stick around on phones where they belong and not on laptops/desktops/tablets, the UI will probably have this marketing thing where it gets a revolutionary new UI that's designed to work with mice and keyboards.

Windows 8 works without touch. People will debate how effective it is without touch and sure there are things about the modern UI that were clearly designed with touch first in mind.

I just removed Windows 10 from my main rig, too many little issues. Slow downs, explorer crashing, Icons going weird, what seemed to be overlay issues with task bar items and only outlines showing

Having to reboot my computer after using RDC into it from home cause the login screen would not appear..

I hope they work out these issues that didnt exist in Windows 8.1.
You installed an alpha release and expected no bugs? :confused:

I think the problem here is that many of the features in Windows 8 weren't intuitive to find. I admittedly couldn't find the shutdown button in Windows 8 at first, but it was badly placed. As are many things in Windows 8.
Oh that's easy with the new very slick shortcut system, just hit the start key and start typing, like "shutdown"...

Oh wait that actually doesn't list shutdown as an option for some reason. Hmm, okay well maybe Microsoft made it more to work off of natural human language, so how about "power off"....hmm just obscure power settings, but not the option to power off the computer. Um okay...well lets not try that right now...we'll do something more basic than trying to shutdown the computer. Okay I'm looking at a folder of my pictures, cool, lets double click one of them. Okay it made it full screen, hmm thats okay... let me just go back to the folder view so I can continue browsing through the thumbnails. Hmm no minimize or close in the corner. Let me try the ESC key which commonly exits full screen mode...okay that does...absolutely nothing for some reason? Err...okay I just want to get back to my folder view on the desktop. Damnit this is annoying! The only apparent way to get out of a full screen app back to what I was looking before it stole 100% focus is to pull up the start screen again "re-launch" the desktop view?

WWW.WTF.COM!

I'm a patient person but I still can't get past some of the decisions in windows 8. There's some good, but a lot of head-scratchingly bad.

Oh that's easy with the new very slick shortcut system, just hit the start key and start typing, like "shutdown"...

Oh wait that actually doesn't list shutdown as an option for some reason. Hmm, okay well maybe Microsoft made it more to work off of natural human language, so how about "power off"....hmm just obscure power settings, but not the option to power off the computer.

Just tried this on two different fully updated 8.1 devices. I hit the Windows key and typed both "shutdown" and "power off". In both cases "Turn off your PC" was the first option listed. Selecting that option bought up the Settings Charm where there is a Power button. Or right click on the Windows button and there's a power options there. Or click on the Power button in the Start Menu.

While many think the hybrid idea is a mistake there's no turning back from the idea now, not with an increasing number of Windows touch devices.

They always can, but I doubt they ever will. My laptop is touch capable, but using the keyboard and touchpad is far superior for just about every task.

Phones? Different story; but there is no reason to bring a keyboard along and attack it to your phone. You'd make something that was easy to carry not so convenient.

They always can, but I doubt they ever will. My laptop is touch capable, but using the keyboard and touchpad is far superior for just about every task.

Phones? Different story; but there is no reason to bring a keyboard along and attack it to your phone. You'd make something that was easy to carry not so convenient.

Touch is more use on some form factors than others as you point out. But it's not really conventional Windows devices that I'm thinking about but these lower cost tablets, hybrids and convertibles that are now beginning to flood the market due to zero cost Windows. Heck there's even unbranded Windows tablets that are nothing more than Windows being put on existing Android tablets. I'm not saying that these devices are going to rule the world but cheap and decent is a pretty powerful combination when it comes to sales.

I don't understand how removing something improves access.

And I love the idea of a search bar integrated into the taskbar, but I know that the functionality and speed will be nowhere as good as Everything.

Everything aka SearchEverything is THA SHIT. Windows Search even on indexed drives and shares simply don't hold a candle to it. If native search isnt faster in Win10 then I'll just keep using Everything - and at least i know it wont be phoning home my local searches on my drives or running it through bing to advertise to me.

Here I am using Linux and the poor Windows peasants

What do Linux and Apple users have in common?
Delusions of grandeur.

The developed world has collectively dismissed Linux as viable desktop OS. Though I suppose that using Linux does make you Royalty since you are explicitly relying on the hard work of others to add value to your life.

Use whatever OS you like, let others do the same, it's not a difficult concept unless you have so little self-esteem that the only way you feel good about yourself is by pointing out to others how awesome you think you are.

All that said, and back on topic, it's sad to see that MS hasn't learned much from the Win8 fiasco. Win7 does everything I need my OS to do, and it does it better for me than Win8, I see no reason to switch (and pay) for a Win8 clone.

What do Linux and Apple users have in common?
Delusions of grandeur.

The developed world has collectively dismissed Linux as viable desktop OS. Though I suppose that using Linux does make you Royalty since you are explicitly relying on the hard work of others to add value to your life.

Use whatever OS you like, let others do the same, it's not a difficult concept unless you have so little self-esteem that the only way you feel good about yourself is by pointing out to others how awesome you think you are.

All that said, and back on topic, it's sad to see that MS hasn't learned much from the Win8 fiasco. Win7 does everything I need my OS to do, and it does it better for me than Win8, I see no reason to switch (and pay) for a Win8 clone.

I don't agree at all with people making fun of someone for the OS they use. Some people, even me, would rather use Linux everywhere but have to use Windows for work and for school (mostly because of Office, but LibreOffice is sooo, soo close to being a perfect substitute now that I really could make the full switch, but I'm not gonna since I only have a year left). You really can't be all OS-elitist because it turns off a lot of people to trying something different.

I do think that touch is pretty much a dead-end technology on a lot of devices. Laptops, desktops, and a bunch of lower end or appliance-like devices that are worse off or more expensive with touchscreens are getting them while companies try to sort out the fact that it doesn't belong on anything but modern smartphones which no one likes because Google uses them to spy on everything people do. I think in the long run, Microsoft won't find anything but a loss leader in a merged touch-centric UI because there are so few people who want that functionality from Microsoft instead of Apple. Their subscriber-based pricing model and hiding away using a computer without linking an Outlook account are gonna come back to haunt them and they'll end up with Heatlesssun as their only customer since he's one of the only people on the planet that has ever gotten excited about touchscreen technology on a computer despite it being so cumbersome, slow, and inefficient.

Their subscriber-based pricing model and hiding away using a computer without linking an Outlook account are gonna come back to haunt them and they'll end up with Heatlesssun as their only customer since he's one of the only people on the planet that has ever gotten excited about touchscreen technology on a computer despite it being so cumbersome, slow, and inefficient.

Windows starting with 7 natively supports keyboards, pointing devices, touchscreens and digital pens. Android and Linux are capable of the same thing. The input methods aren't mutually exclusive but complementary. If one is using a hybrid device like the Nextbook 10.1, they can type away in a Word document, heck even a LibreOffice document just like it works for you using Mint. Then they can pull the tablet section out of the dock and use it just like an iPad or Android tablet to watch a movie on the couch or read, situations where a keyboard and mouse don't add anything but bulk.

Windows starting with 7 natively supports keyboards, pointing devices, touchscreens and digital pens. Android and Linux are capable of the same thing. The input methods aren't mutually exclusive but complementary. If one is using a hybrid device like the Nextbook 10.1, they can type away in a Word document, heck even a LibreOffice document just like it works for you using Mint. Then they can pull the tablet section out of the dock and use it just like an iPad or Android tablet to watch a movie on the couch or read, situations where a keyboard and mouse don't add anything but bulk.

Nope, that's not really true at all.

Nope, that's not really true at all.

Well this statement certainly isn't true. I have LibreOffice installed on my Nextbook 10.1 and it works fine with a mouse and keyboard. Doesn't support touch well though. Not really sure why someone like you that doesn't care for the Microsoft ecosystem would be upset that tons of open source software can be available for people to use on the most affordable computers out there. Even if the OS is Windows the thing is only $180 and there's no need for anyone to use Microsoft Office on the device if they want LibreOffice. Or any the host of open source applications out there.

Well this statement certainly isn't true. I have LibreOffice installed on my Nextbook 10.1 and it works fine with a mouse and keyboard. Doesn't support touch well though. Not really sure why someone like you that doesn't care for the Microsoft ecosystem would be upset that tons of open source software can be available for people to use on the most affordable computers out there. Even if the OS is Windows the thing is only $180 and there's no need for anyone to use Microsoft Office on the device if they want LibreOffice. Or any the host of open source applications out there.

Now calm down with your assumptions and crazy-cakes-ness. I have no problems at all with Microsoft except for subscription-based software, the Modern UI in its current form (IDK what's gonna happen with 10 and I don't really have a judgement on the new version until I see it on a retail computer in final form since its dumb to make any guesses about it right now), and the encouragement to use cloud services and sign up for an account. I also don't care about the prices of their stuff (outside of subscriptions) because, well, I don't worry about money as much these days for none of your business reasons. :p I also don't care what software is or isn't available for any operating system as long as my computer does what I want it to do. Mostly, I just think that touchscreens are dumb on computers and are going to go away soon. I dunno why you're off on whatever weird thing you're talking about it, but whatever you're thinking or saying, it's probably wrong because you haven't done the research to figure it out and just don't really have much of a perspective on the computer industry. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to do more reading and exploring tech to figure some of it out before you jump to conclusions.

All I was saying is that there's very good Windows 8 touch devices at very low prices. Why would devices like the $180 Nextbook 10.1 go away? The whole point of that device is to serve two roles for a low price. The case can be made the Surface Pro 3 isn't cost effective and that one can by a separate tablet and laptop for less. That's a lot harder argument to make at $180.

All I was saying is that there's very good Windows 8 touch devices at very low prices. Why would devices like the $180 Nextbook 10.1 go away? The whole point of that device is to serve two roles for a low price. The case can be made the Surface Pro 3 isn't cost effective and that one can by a separate tablet and laptop for less. That's a lot harder argument to make at $180.

Low margin devices aren't worth selling. The moment the person who bought it picks up the phone to call the company that sold it for support or warranty help, the company lost money on the sale. That's one of the reasons why netbooks moved up in price and the price hike started the decline in their sales that eventually killed them. It's got nothing to do with what people want and everything to do with the business reality of inexpensive hardware. No one supports Androids and Apple sells their stuff for enough money to not worry about having a Genuis Bar or whatever. However people expect tech support for Windows comuputers after having years of calling people or taking things back to the store. That whole like product segment is already dead and people just haven't figured it out yet.

When someone asks about purchasing a computing device for $300 or less I always remind them those are usually disposable items and they work as long as they work. Most people now days realize that as computer parts become smaller (more portable/powerful) and cheaper.

Low margin devices aren't worth selling.

And when was the last time someone looking for a low price item actually thought about that? The #1 question they ask is is it worth buying?

There's trolling and then there's straight up lying. Pretty obvious what this one is. :rolleyes:

Forgive me for feeding the troll. It's entertaining to see someone argue against a $180 device that absolutely no one is arguing because of the overall quality and capability at $180.

Just tried this on two different fully updated 8.1 devices. I hit the Windows key and typed both "shutdown" and "power off". In both cases "Turn off your PC" was the first option listed. Selecting that option bought up the Settings Charm where there is a Power button. Or right click on the Windows button and there's a power options there. Or click on the Power button in the Start Menu.

Definitely not the case with windows 8 on launch (as system at work still behaves as I described), and I seem to recall it not being initially changed on first update to win 8.1, but perhaps they have finally addressed that particular nit. Baby steps to make win 10 not suck on release.

I hearing windows 10 isn't going to be free for windows 8.1 users unless it was bought months before Windows 10 is released. Unless Windows 10 is god and improves frame rates in Games and isn't 200.00 like Windows 8 was for me.

Definitely not the case with windows 8 on launch (as system at work still behaves as I described), and I seem to recall it not being initially changed on first update to win 8.1, but perhaps they have finally addressed that particular nit. Baby steps to make win 10 not suck on release.

There have been a number of baby steps from 8.0 to 8.1 to 8.1 Update that have made the UI more usable particularly for keyboard and mouse users. Not saying that it was enough to satisfy most folks that don't care for 8 but it's not like Microsoft was totally tone deaf to every complaint and issue out there for the last two years.

I hearing windows 10 isn't going to be free for windows 8.1 users unless it was bought months before Windows 10 is released. Unless Windows 10 is god and improves frame rates in Games and isn't 200.00 like Windows 8 was for me.

That doesn't entirely make sense unless Microsoft is willing to let all of these low cost Windows 8.1 devices that have flooded the market stay at 8.1. In same way shape or form there's it's all but guaranteed that some versions of Windows 10 will be free for at some folks and OEMs on devices like Windows 8.1 is now.

it's not like Microsoft was totally tone deaf to every complaint and issue out there for the last two years.
No, they just acted like they did no user-testing whatsoever while in development and were only tone deaf after release for about the first 6 months.

And when was the last time someone looking for a low price item actually thought about that? The #1 question they ask is is it worth buying?

Forgive me for feeding the troll. It's entertaining to see someone argue against a $180 device that absolutely no one is arguing because of the overall quality and capability at $180.

You're seeking to get approval and show-and-tell about another toy you bought and trying to bend discussion unrelated to your latest purchase toward making your toy relevant so you can tell us that you got it. Given the number of times that people haven't really cared, I don't know why you bother. Telling people in real life would at least get you like a captive audience so they'd kinda act like they care.

You'll eventually need Windows 10 for DX12.

You're seeking to get approval and show-and-tell about another toy you bought and trying to bend discussion unrelated to your latest purchase toward making your toy relevant so you can tell us that you got it. Given the number of times that people haven't really cared, I don't know why you bother. Telling people in real life would at least get you like a captive audience so they'd kinda act like they care.

I don't need to seek approval from anonymous people when people I know saw the Nextbook 10.1 and bought one. Heck, my sister wants one for Christmas. Seriously dude, move on.

I don't need to seek approval from anonymous people when people I know saw the Nextbook 10.1 and bought one. Heck, my sister wants one for Christmas. Seriously dude, move on.

Translation: I don't need approval. My sister approves so much that she wants one which is approval for me. Now stop pointing it out so that everyone else knows.

This is what happens when you buy a better machine for less than the piece of crap I am sure he owns. In fact, I believe he has a single core 5 year old piece of crap netbook for his main computer. :D

This is what happens when you buy a better machine for less than the piece of crap I am sure he owns. In fact, I believe he has a single core 5 year old piece of crap netbook for his main computer. :D

Yup, consumer electronics ownership is how all the smartest people measure each others' worth. :p

Back