Leaked Galax slide confirms NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 20 GB, RTX 3070 Ti, RTX 3060 and RTX 3070 inferiority to the RTX 2080 Ti

I've seen/heard the opposite. Microcenters getting 15 cards per store instead of 100 or so.

So when Nvidia said they had more stock at Ampere launch than they did for Turing they're straight up lying? And this is based on an arbitrary number of cards we think Microcenter should get? Not very convincing.

Tamasi did an interview recently where he said there's a 6 month lead time from when they order chips from TSMC to when cards are on shelves. Apparently they did account for the fact that so many ppl are at home due to covid but they still underestimated demand.

So when Nvidia said they had more stock at Ampere launch than they did for Turing they're straight up lying?
It's never quite straight-up lying. Marketing is about taking select elements and running with them. Like when they said the 3080 was 80 percent faster, that's with select games with specific settings used to achieve that figure.

It's clear that they didn't have a good stock. Everyone sold out more or less simultaneously; if only Microcenter didn't get stock other companies would have been able to deliver longer. All they have to say is they had more stock* than Turing at launch, and that * could be written off as "more stock (available for product testing and reviewers)" while omitting the parenthetical part of the statement.

Well, I mean if the VP of Technical Marketing saying it, then its clearly the gospel truth.

The job of marketing is to emphasize the strengths of a product and downplay the weaknesses. It's not about telling boldface lies about simple facts. Well at least it's not supposed to be.

The "hype" would be about performance and (theoretical) cost, which at least for the 3080, is compelling to most. I think we could all agree on that.

And yeah, then the hype-train runs smack into the reality-wall of "well, you can't actually buy it", which is what our fearless leader has been explaining. I got a paper cut just looking for purchase options.

If it wasn't a not-really-launch, it would be smash hit. Right now it's still a lab queen, practically speaking.
Actually random hardware failures and crashing, bad caps and cheap AIB builds have plagued the beginning of this launch. Not just the non existent availability of the one good option, the FE card (as far as stability is concerned).

The job of marketing is to emphasize the strengths of a product and downplay the weaknesses. It's not about telling boldface lies about simple facts. Well at least it's not supposed to be.
Oh, you sweet summer child...

Last edited:
I think the 3070 will end up being a better card than the 2080Ti, but not initially. At Turing launch, the 1080Ti was basically on par with the 2080. At the conclusion of the Turing era, the 2070 was basically on par with the 1080Ti. Plus, there are other benefits like lower power draw. RTX "features" might be more important within the Ampere lifecycle, and Ampere seems to be more efficient at that also.

I think once the dust settles and availability is good. The 2080Ti is a $400-450 card (up to $500-525 depending on the model). I certainly wouldn't spend more for a used 2080Ti than a new 3070.

I mean, we've all seen by now that this performance was based on ray tracing, so yes, it'll be faster in ray tracing, but maybe not anything else?

My guess is that the 3070 will be slower at rasterization performance than the 2080ti, but will have better RTX perfromance and better DLSS performance. The latter will make it possible to match so80ti performance, just not setting per setting, but rather based on frame rates and visual appearance.

Back